"Tip" Scout 800 build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by walkersscout, May 1, 2016.

1. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Hope this helps. If you compare these pictures to your stock frame you'll notice they are moved to the inner side of the frame rail.
    I don't remember the exact measurements, but I can get them if it helps you out.
    I plan to run linked suspension, so didn't do anything fancy. If I were to stay with leaf springs, I'd probably have done a reverse shackle kit up front.

Attached Files:

2. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

No, that's perfect. In my minds eye they were much more inboard, that looks to be offset but still under the frame rail. I will likely do it that way.

3. walkersscout

Got a little bit more done this week. I hooked up the accelerator cable. I am not thrilled with it. There is a little too much drag for my liking. I may see about a better quality cable. If that doesn't pan out I may . look back into a bellcrank.
    KIMG0137.jpg
    I also picked up a battery and made a battery hold down.
    KIMG0138.jpg

I finished patching my tunnel cover, slipped that on, fired it up and drove it down the street. Sounds good, but it is loud! came back and mocked up the mufflers and made a template for my exhaust pipes and tail pipes.

Attached Files:

4. walkersscout

Just a teaser. Finally had a spare day to get the exhaust mostly in. Can't find my stash of hangers, so it is held up with bailing wire. My new exhaust clearance tranny x member is in and worked out very well. The intermediate pipes are flush with the bottom of the frame.
    I will get some more pics tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

Looks awesome, definitely the work of a craftsman. I find myself in a bind, I need a clutch solution to what I have. My Scout came with the original 196 and I am not quite finished converting it over to the 345 to sit behind the front axle and I am still hacking into the firewall. My original clutch design (what I did 20 years ago as a kid) gives me a 50 lb foot pedal. So I need to ask, have you tried out your clutch mod and is it driver friendly?

Attached Files:

6. walkersscout

This weekend I was able to solve my cooling issue. I pulled out the shroud and pulled off the 15" fan. I installed an 18" fan. Had to remove the outer set of pulleys as the fan is substantially bigger with more pitch. I changed my PS pulley and moved that in one groove. The worst part of it is that I had set aside 2 pulleys for my alternator and AC compressor, now there is only one. Ultimately, perhaps in the spring time, I will try to regain my pulley by moving the engine back a little, I just don't feel like it now.

After I got it reassembled no cobbled my shroud to fit it cools just fine. Drove it into town at 111* and no problems. I think I may still put in a 28 x19 radiator, I have a 24x19 in there no, but that can be put on the back burner.

My next project is going to be installing the Detroit locker in the SII rear axle with 3.73s and installing that, then move onto my SII front axle, which I have a power lock for.

7. walkersscout

Kenneth, very user friendly! If you want to do the same thing I can find the CNC file for the bracket I cut out. Just find a CNC plasma guy near you and have it cut out.

gillis51 likes this.
  8. MtnScout

MtnScout Farmall Cub

Some very nice work here. I'm envious of the tools and skill be be able to make such nice looking metal work but I'm assuming it's part of your trade.

9. walkersscout

I own an ironworking company, mostly I make big steel doors, though the tools and skills do transfer.

10. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

Very cool build and nice fab skills. If you had a mind to make a bunch of these hood struts, you would do well. Isa has not had any in stock in over a year and there is a long list of folks waiting, myself included.

11. MtnScout

MtnScout Farmall Cub

I agree with bussy, even if you sold just the brackets I'd be interested.

12. walkersscout

That is what I am planning as well.

13. walkersscout

I would make some up but it is such an easy enjoyable project, and super cheap to do it yourself. They can be made with as little as a hacksaw, drill, and a file in very short order. There is a thread on here somewhere about to build them and what struts to order.

14. walkersscout

IMG_1799.JPG I had a little spare time last week so I pulled the Tracklok and installed my Detroit locker, moved the spring perches, and reworked the brakes for my rear axle. Then today I installed it. I had to swap the e brake cable from my tapered 44. Then I had to rework the brake lines.

After installing, lubing it up, bleeding the brakes, I took it for a spin. No gear noise, I can finally use my lower gears. With the 4.27s I couldn't use first at all, 2nd was pretty low too, so I could start in third. I was very impressed with the 3.54s. I thought they might be a tad too high, but they are perfect for my 30" tires, T19 wide and Dana 300.

I got it out on a rural road and was able to get up to 65 or so and could actually hear myself think. I have been shouting over engine noise for so long that that it was very pleasant! I put the rear axle in low range and found that it is still plenty low, about a half mile an hour at idle in first. With the lower axle gears I could easily pull over and take a nap without taking it out of first. I can still walk besides and even stop to tie my shoe.

Hopefully I will be able to get the front axle reworked and in over the next couple of weeks.

Wombat and scout2000 like this.
  15. walkersscout

The front axle is nearing completion. I have the reworked (changed side gears from 19 spline) Powr Lok installed, new carrier bearings, new wheel bearings, seals, etc., front Dana 44 nearly ready. I am only missing brake caliper o rings. I picked up my new front springs from the spring shop. I had larger eyes put on for bigger bushings. Hopefully that will help quiet some road noise. Also had spring glide buttons put on, as well as an extra inch of height.
    Tomorrow afternoon I will remove the old one and install the new. I will get some pics. I also have a Wilwood master cylinder that I will swap in since I have to re plumb anyway.

16. walkersscout

I pulled the axle and made two new rear spring hangers. I made them and inch taller to accommodate the bigger spring eyes. KIMG0366.jpg
    After cutting the old hangers off I tacked the new hangers in an inch further onboard, and with the hole in the same plane as the old, but and inch down.
    KIMG0367.jpg I then cut off the front hangers and moved them an inch onboard. I got the new axle in an put the old shackles on and put weight on the springs.
    KIMG0368.jpg

Disappointingly, they sagged until they were flat and the shackles were pretty far forward. I guess I need to pull the springs back off and take them back to the spring shop.

17. 72soa

72soa High Wheeler

Cut turn/SOA time?

18. walkersscout

No, not for me. I just need a pair of springs that will hold it up just above stock height. I have 30x9.5 tires on it. Highest I would ever go would be a 32x9.5 (235/85-16)

19. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I haven't chimed in here yet, but I just wanted to say that I have been following the build. I really am jealous of your master Jedi craftsmanship young sky-walker! Very nicely done!

20. Ruffrider

Ruffrider Farmall Cub

Man you have some fabing skills!ยก what did you use for engine mounts? A picture or two will be great. Nice build.