"Tip" Scout 800 build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by walkersscout, May 1, 2016.

1. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

I also sectioned 2" out of the core support and punched a new square hole for the body mount bolt. I will likely not use the big carriage bolt, as I am changing over to SII body mounts, but wanted to leave my options open. KIMG0452.jpg

2. walkersscout

I got the steering connected using 2 u joints. Had to make the shaft out of two different shafts. I cut the spline end off one shaft and turned a slightly over 3/8" tenon ½" long, then bored the other shaft and pressed them together. I Tig welded the vee groove then turned it back down. KIMG0454.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. walkersscout

Since I am going to be working alone this weekend, I decided it would be easiest to use a n engine leveler, so I made one up this morning. Still need to make up some side links to connect the engine, and I am debating using chain or flat bar. Also considering a turnbuckle to adjust side to side level. KIMG0455.jpg

'Mater likes this.
  4. walkersscout

Engine leveled in service. KIMG0456.jpg

HillRaiser likes this.
  5. walkersscout

Sheet metal fenders well mods are in. Just screws holding them for the moment, I will plug weld them tomorrow KIMG0459.jpg KIMG0458.jpg
    I was hoping to trial fit the motor today, but have a cold and ran out of steam about an hour ago. Going to take a break then come back out this evening and try to get some things painted (but will likely just fall asleep on the couch instead).

6. Brad Kennedy

Brad Kennedy Farmall Cub

Impressive work!

7. walkersscout

Thanks Brad. I have the engine in the bay right now. This is just a trial fit. I am making the motor and transmission mounts now. After I get those tacked in I will pull it back out, weld everything up and give it a splash of color. KIMG0460.jpg

8. walkersscout

I finished the welding, painted the firewall and wheel wells, then I set the engine in place for the last (hopefully) time. KIMG0465.jpg

gillis51 likes this.
  9. Brad Kennedy

Brad Kennedy Farmall Cub

You are incredibly fast. I have a 4 cyl 80 that will be getting the same treatment. I usually just walk out to the garage and stare at it.

10. walkersscout

I tigged some brackets on the radiator to hold the condenser and built some saddle mounts to hold the bottom of the radiator and a cap for the top. There is a strip of rubber in the cap to hold the top of the radiator. KIMG0466.jpg KIMG0468.jpg KIMG0470.jpg So there it is. I am down to the nitty gritty. Have to make my brand new driveshaft 4" longer and my front driveshaft 4" shorter.
    I need to pull the radiator back out and weld a different outlet on it at a different angle. Then I need to piece together some radiator hoses. I think I will end up using silicone elbows and reducers with tubing in between except on the bottom. Not sure exactly what I am going to do there yet..
    Need to modify my tunnel cover for the different shifter positions. I already relocated the emergency brake 3" to the left.
    I cobbled some power steering hoses into service, but will liked make some new ones later.

HillRaiser likes this.
  11. walkersscout

I picked up a couple hoses, but couldn't get them all, so I will likely order what I need online.
    I had a few spare minutes, so I swapped on my SII rally wheels. I sand blasted and painted them a while ago. They came out pretty nice. The 7" width changes the look of the tire going up from the stock 5s. The tires are 30-9.50/15s. KIMG0473.jpg KIMG0472.jpg

12. walkersscout

I cut off the inlet and outlet on the radiator and welded on 2" tubes. I had to weld a plate in the old bottom hole a cut a new one lower. The stock tubes were 1.5" and 1.75". It was easier to adapt to 2" from the 2.25 water pump and tstat housing. KIMG0474.jpg AAfterward I started in on the wiring. I decided not to just splice new wires on the old and just do a remodel on the whole engine bay harness. I am wiring headlight relays, as well as the new engine components, and am installing a power distribution block for thing like the winch. I also made new battery cables and am using the military style battery posts.

Top Ramen likes this.
  13. walkersscout

I managed to get everything connected and up and running, but hit a snag. It appears the motor I got has a head problem. It makes shaving cream and bubbles in the radiator. I am a little discouraged at the moment. I will likely just take it back out to make the repair but it will be a few weeks before I can spare the time.

14. walkersscout

The hydraulic hose for my clutch came today. So I hooked that up and bled it. Bleeding was fairly easy, just opened the bleeder and it self bled in about 30 seconds, I have never been so lucky.
    I also had to make a push rod. I simply turned a 1/2 inch shaft out of some scrap CRS, turned one end down to 3/8", then threaded it. On the other end I bored it and tapped 5/16" fine, then screwed the stock push rod on the MC into one end and screwed a clevis fork onto the other. Some minor adjustments and I was off to the races!

One thing I discovered on these generic Girling style fork lift masters and slaves is they have a very deep threaded hole. I have read many threads of people having trouble coming up with a fitting to use in them. What I found is that they are a multi fit type of thread. The thread itself is 3/8-24. You can get a bubble flare fitting or a deep brake fitting( though I don't recall the name), or an adapter for 3/8-24 to inverted flare. These fittings seem to be more difficult to come by. The easiest method to connect them is to use 3/8-24 banjo boots and a 3/8 banjo brake line. These are cheap and readily available as they are use as motorcycle brake lines. I think I have about $15 invested in the line and fittings shipped to my house.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. walkersscout

Had some spare time so I decided to build some hood struts so I could get rid of my 2x4 prop rod.
    I built them about like the $10 hood prop article here, except I used new JGC struts, as I bought them for $10 for the pair shipped. As guessed at in the post, they are too strong. Not just a little too strong but want to rip the hood off too strong. I left them on, but not screwed to the top brackets, so I will just slip them in until I can remedy it.
    I will do a weight calculated over the weekend and see if I can get it a little closer.

16. walkersscout

The hood strut mod is done, the 60#, 20" struts worked perfectly. KIMG0491.jpg

Bussy likes this.
  17. walkersscout

Well, a few weeks turned into 6 months since I have had a chance to wrench on my Scout, but at least I am in good company with a lot of the rest of the gang here! I have had an insane amount of work through the summer and fall, working a lot of 6 and 7 day weeks. I have enough projects done to start taking weekends off again, so I pulled the scout up to the shop today. Got the bumper and radiator off, and the block drained. Tomorrow I will start in earnest to swap the heads.

I pulled apart the rebuilt heads because they have sat for years and got a little dusty. Cleaned them out and reassembled them. I also had some head pipes bent up and I welded flex joints to them. I have new mufflers, which I have figured out where to hang, though I don't think I will get that far tomorrow. Then it will be a matter of measuring and bending up an offset pipe to connect each head pipe to the muffler. When I had the 4 cylinder in there I had made a new exhaust and used a flex joint at the end of the head pipe. My exhaust sealed up better and the gaskets lasted very well. Highly recommended.

After all that I need to make a minor sheet metal adjustment, finish my tunnel cover, reinstall seats, and most importantly connect my throttle cable. At that point it will be mobile again, but I will still need to swap in my SII axles with 3.73s. Then I will register/insure it again so I can drive it!

18. walkersscout

Okay, heads are changed!!! I got the head pipes mounted and fired it up. Made one mistake though. When I drained the coolant I pulled the middle plug on the block on the passenger side and the coolant drained out, pulled the same one on the drivers side and nothing. I poked a wire in it and nothing came out, so I moved on. After finishing up I wanted to bump it forward to install the head pipes. I didn't have the radiator on yet so didn't think about the plugs .The DS plug was an oil gallery plug, so I squirted a bunch of oil all over the floor. Spent an hour cleaning up that mess, reinstalled the plugs, moved it forward and finished up. Fired right up then died after a few minutes, outta gas! Added a few gallons and it fired back up and ran nice. Got it heated up and didn't see any problems. I just filled it with water, and the water turns cruddy brown. I think the PO had put it a crap ton of radiator sealer, so I think I will flush it several times before adding coolant again.

Pulled it out of the shop and pulled the plug on the radiator, too wet to pull the block plug, but will do that in the am. Now I can start to tackle all the small jobs like the throttle cable, trans tunnel, etc. Then, before it gets hot again, I need to get the AC back in. I had a small under dash unit in there, but it just couldn't move enough BTUs. I have been looking at the Hurricane box, but am also considering building my own box. The fans and cores are cheap enough on their own to warrant looking into it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Top Ramen likes this.
  19. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

This is an awesome build! :beer:
    Great fabrication skills. I'm envious of your welding gear too. :)

Just a thought on the Scout-II axles. When I put the front Scout-II axle in, I welded in new perch mounts inboard of the original perches, to line up with the Scout-II axle spring pads. So no modifications needed on the axle. Also gives a bit more articulation with leaf springs.

20. walkersscout

I have been pondering that very thing. you wouldn't happen to have a picture of what you did?