Time for 67 800 build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by FSM09, Sep 24, 2012.

1. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Very minor. I installed the new brake switch. I also found a new ignition switch connector from eBay. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Well I want to work on the scout. It’s a little cold outside though.

[​IMG]

3. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I did get my son to help me today. We attempted some welding but I didn’t have any extra welding tips. So we didn’t get far. I did stick the roll bar together for behind the seats. It sits really high. So I wont be able to fit the top unless I trim it down. I will have to contact D and C unless someone has some advice. We did make battery cables today. I ran out of terminals for 1ga though. I believe the cables from summit were Taylor made brand battery cables. I used a wire crimper made for battery terminals. My son did get the screws in the top of the dash also.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

OMG!! :surrender: Now that is cold!!!! At least you have some very good help assisting you. :punk:

Jay

5. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I did get some help. I think I got about 15 minutes of work out of him. We attempted to install the starter. I have to get a stubby 5/8” from my tool box at work. My one thumb is just a bone from getting cut off. So I couldn’t start the top bolt. Haha so it was a struggle.

I’m just happy to be making forward progress. I did order the Baja RS seats

6. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Great choice of seats! :beer:

7. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Thanks, I’m excited for them to come in. That way I can figure out my seat bases.

I made my battery cables the rest of the way. Installed the starter. The starter sucks to install. I used a stubby wrench and 4 way wrench. I added a ground strap to the bottom bolt and to the block. Just as an extra precaution. I turned the key and the engine turned right over without any issue what so ever. So I was pretty happy. My area is a mess but I have a couple photos.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I thought I took better photos.

8. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

D&C cage is made to fit under the stock hard top, but I believe the legs are cut just a bit long so you can trim to the best fit.

9. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Thank you. I don’t have the top at home to test fit.

10. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I did have some trouble finding new connectors for the coolant sensor and oil sensor. I found them from American auto wire. 501288 is the part number. [​IMG][​IMG]

11. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Small update. I got about 3 hours of work out of my son. We tried to put the fuel tank covers back on. They were pretty bent and didn’t want to fit very well though. So we decided to do some other things. We installed the coolant heater hoses. PCV vacuum line to valve cover. I replaced the factory valve cover fitting for one that I could use 1/2” hose for all of it. Spark plug wires were made and routed. A lot of small things.

I made two central ground spots in the vehicle. I drilled a 1/4” hope and stuck 1 1/2” boot through. I used a name but to keep the bolt tight all the time. Then I installed my grounds and used a normal nut on top. I did on on the passenger side behind the glove box. The other is on the driver side. I was pretty excited as it worked out really good.

Once I find my distributor hold down bolt I think we are ready to see if it runs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Good news. It runs but not very well. I’m running into carb issues. It seems I can’t run without 3/4 choke and it’s running at a very high rpm. I just don’t have a way to read it. After talking to some people about this Holley 1904. I’m not sure if I even want to keep messing with it. Right now I’m trying to get it road worthy. I feel like I’m getting closer yet so far away.

I guess I can’t post a video

13. eightOsix

eightOsix Binder Driver

Have you cleaned and rebuilt the carb?

14. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I rebuilt it about 3 or 4 years ago I believe. It’s sat in a climate controlled garage since. My metering block was bad. I found a good one from a couple different scout carbs. I was told the 1904 parts don’t interchange very well. I did remove the metering block again and don’t see any blockage. So I’m not really sure

15. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Didn’t realize how long since I last updated my post. As the kids get older I seem to have less and less time. I did get two seat bases made for the front seats. Once they were made I realized the passenger side had to be made different. So I have two drivers sides.

I made custom mounting brackets for the electric cooling fan. My son mounted that for me. So a small amount of progress has been made. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Kenneth Barber

Kenneth Barber Farmall Cub

Nice work on the seats, I spent the $$ to get a replacement pedestal...but will need to fabricate a p/s one. Is that a pusher or puller fan? I am going to mount mine forward of the radiator as well. Not sure I saw it in the thread, where did you get the fan...p/n and model? It looks like it fits pretty good.

17. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I wasn’t thinking and made both seat bases the same. I need to alter the passenger side to make it work. I will port a couple more photos when I get it repaired.

18. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Sorry Kenneth I didn’t answer your second question. The fan is a push or pull. I haven’t mounted the top cross member yet to see if it clears yet. The fan is to large to fit between the radiator and motor. That is why I mounted it on the outside. I can post the relay assembly for the fan I bought. It uses a thermostat that goes into the radiator fins. It is a solid state relay kit. It’s similar to this one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-35879

19. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Due to the lack of time I get a little scattered brain. I have been trying to focus on one small section at a time. That way I get finish getting the scout together and hopefully drive. The dash I installed was out of an 800a. The steering column is still out of a 67. They mount differently between the years. I had to find the dash bracket out of a 67 or it would damage the dash. I did get the steering column installed . The dome light was cleaned up and installed. I installed the heater controls, headlamp switch, and original fuel selector switch. Powered on all systems are working. So I’m happy. I did buff and polish the control knobs and aluminum trim. Sending out to be re chromed is a little pricey around here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I believe I almost have the inside around the dash completed. I haven’t mounted the gas pedal yet. I’m going to try and keep the original pedal if I can. Hoping the ball wont pop out all the time. It looks like I need to mount a nut sert or two to correctly mount the gas pedal. Once these items are complete. I’ll finish mounting the seat bases. I haven’t taken a photo of the corrected on for the passenger side.

It seems the more I learn about body work. Makes me want to redo a lot of things I have already done.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  20. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

The fan I mounted is slightly to high. I need to lower it by 1/2” about. I’ll have to work on that. I worked on the throttle linkage with the fan mounts. The throttle stop I installed a nut-sert. It is like a river gun that puts the nut into the sheet metal. It’s a pretty slick system actually. The tool can be bought for as little as $40. It’s pretty cool. I will use it for a few other items like the gas pedal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The nice rust color was my son. He spilled his water on top of metal shavings. The rust color spread like fire.