Time for 67 800 build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by FSM09, Sep 24, 2012.

1. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Not a large update. My son who is now 8 has decided he wants to help with the scout. Unfortunately running lines is a little boring for him. I didn't get a photo but we built jumper wires to test each fuel sending unit with the gauge before installing them.

I have been organizing the fasteners I bought from fastenal. I will be needing to sell a lot. The sad part is I had items saved and once I picked them up I had none of the items I picked out.

I found Christmas tree zip ties to replace the old OEM ones for electrical.

I plan on running stock 1/4" fuel line up to the selector valve. From there I will run 5/16 line. I wanted to run 5/16" the entire way but couldn't get the correct pieces locally. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

[​IMG]

I installed this Dei floor and tunnel shield on the passenger side where my muffler is. This stuff is suppose to be easy to cut but the aluminum did not want too. I began doubting putting dunk mat on the firewall after talking to a couple people. So I called the company direct. They said it is good to 300 degrees plus and people use it for this. I plan on putting some dei reflect a shield over the part next to the exhaust.

I am getting my radiator repaired from the local radiator shop. He will repair the peacock, resolder the lower cap, repair, correct re round the hose holes. All this for $99. I will take a couple photos when it is done.

3. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Got my radiator back from the radiator shop. $99.75 to clean, repair leaks, paint, rerouted hose openings, and he installed a new drain cock.

New 1ga battery cable kit from summit racing. I ordered dynadeck in the photos also. I was very curious about it. It's extremely heavy and has a similar texture to a spray in bed liner. It's pretty cool and you cut to fit. I think it will work out pretty good. It also reduced noise and vibration.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Cool. Will look forward to how this all works out. :beer:

5. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I'm hoping to get there soon. I realized if I had a few full days to work on it then it would be ready to drive. My son doesn't want me to do it without him. Only issue is it's down to the more boring stuff so it's hard to keep him interested.

6. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I did get the gauges all installed. My son is helping wire them right now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I did take apart the distributor also. It was pretty gummy but it cleaned up pretty good. I did order a pertronix after a lot of debate. Should be here soon.

7. Comanche Scott

Gauges look great! :beer:
    Finding a realistic speedometer is not easy.
    Looks like your boy is really concentrating to get it right. Pretty awesome!

8. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

We wired and rewired the cluster a couple times. It didn't seem to matter how I did it it's still a mess. 95% done. I used the American autowire cluster connector set. I will have two separate grounds to the cluster. All wires will use up the connector[​IMG]

The cluster connector kit was from summit racing and under $20. I used 1 10 pin connector. It also had two 5 pin connectors. I tried to keep the wire colors very close to the same. So I used left over wire I cut off the universal wiring harness.

[​IMG]

9. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I am using relays for the headlights. I purchased an electric fan if I can make it work. It will have a thermostatic controlled relay. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I didn't have the correct connectors so I had to make a couple splices. I wish I had more time but I'm lucky if I can work on this 20 minutes every couple days.

Bussy likes this.
  10. Comanche Scott

Excellent idea on the headlights, and great work on the wiring. :beer:
    I have a set of Cibies with 55/80 bulbs, and plan to do the same thing. Makes a big difference in brightness and bulb life. :thumbs up:
    Yeah, I totally get where you are coming from regarding time to do things. At least you are making really great progress with the time you're able to devote to "the cause". :)

11. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Oh man, great update JD :thumbs up: and, darn it, somehow I missed the earlier ones. That is an awesome shot of your son! :yes: Nice work on the wiring (I really wish we were at this point!!), gauges and sharing the cluster connector kit from Summit! I think that will work for ours too so will definitely check that out. Thanks!

12. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I think I originally had a plan for four relays. I can't remember what I would have done with the other two. I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure I'll remember after I get most of the wiring done.

13. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Once I got the connector kit going. It will work out pretty well. I ordered the same one to install in my dads 67 mustang. Since I can't find original replacement connectors for it.

I took a brake and started working on the gas pedal. When I install the gas pedal return spring my pedal arm is 8" off the ground. When I measure 3" to put a bolt for the pedal itself it seems extremely high.

[​IMG]

Do you still have your original pedal installed? If so could you take a couple measurements for me? Also what holds on the pedal linkage? I think it's a speed but type retainer but I'm not sure.

14. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Is that the original gas pedal? The 65’s looked like the one you have which has a different linkage setup.

[​IMG]

The 69 has two ball studs mounted on the floor and the gas pedal swivels on those and my linkage looked like below.

[​IMG]

15. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

I did find a few threads with the same pedal you have so I was wrong on what your 67 should have.

Newbie - What gas pedal fits this arm?
    Is this eBay gas pedal legit for a Scout 800?

Looks like you may have to tweak that long rod as it sticks up more towards the driver than the floor unless that pic is just exaggerating that part. Maybe after you get the pedal bolted to the floor and the linkage installed (if it is not) to the carb it may sit more in line with what you expect. Just some ideas!

Jay

16. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Thanks Jay. I parted out a 62 Scout 80 with sliding windows. The gas pedal it had was similar to your 69 photo. When I bought my scout the gas pedal was broken but the bolts were still in floor.

I went over those threads and I still feel retarded. Haha. I then thought I would get lucky and look through my photos. On page 3 I think shows the gas pedal arm. It seems to be sitting pretty high also. I’m debating to use a cable or not.

jmait769 likes this.
  17. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

My progress is moving slow. About the only time I work on the scout is after my wife and kids go to bed. This Ford part number replaces the washer for the transmission shift lever.

I did get fuel lines ran from my tanks. I was able to find a new transmission shift washer that I couldn’t find. I got my fuel tank selector mounted also. [​IMG][​IMG]

18. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I always jump around on what I seem to be doing. Partly because I’m trying to keep an 8 year old interested. Since I purchased an American auto wire highway 13 I had some extra splices. Since they had connectors already installed I had to cut a couple of them. Kinda stinks because I was trying to do as few splices as possible. The ignition switch is the last main connector I need to do. So that makes me happy.

Next wire harness I don’t think I will purchase the same wire harness again. I think I would spend a little more so I can terminate all the wires myself.

My sons wanted to start on the roll bar. So I’m going to see if I can keep him interested with that. I’m hoping the dash is installed for good this time around

[​IMG][​IMG]

jmait769 likes this.
  19. Comanche Scott

Coming out really clean!
    i really like the woven nylon covering. Really suits these vehicles.
    Nice work. :beer:

20. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I’m not a big fan on the plastic wire loom. I was hoping to finish the interior wiring this weekend. My heater quite last night. So I have a hiccup in my work.

My son wanted to do the roll cage. I think I made a mistake. I have my gas tanks in and I think they need to be removed. Haha