Time for 67 800 build thread

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by FSM09, Sep 24, 2012.

1. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Not a big update. The seller wasn't willing to go below 6500 for his non running scout. I can't see spending that much on a not running scout. It's to bad because I really wanted to make a deal.

2. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

That is too bad. Hopefully he keeps your number, and calls you down the road, when reality sets in.

Good idea on the sheet metal screws, that makes aligning this much easier.

3. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I hope he does but I'm not hopeful. He called me an A hole for offering 2500. I told him I would love to offer more if it actually ran. Haha he was so upset he called my work and complained. Oh well

I have been trying to get small things attached and begin making forward progress. It's time to get my scout back together. I keep going back and forth on making it drivable or more upgrades. I think I need to get it together to drive for now. Once it's running I'll make changes. I thought about a 4.3gm upgrade. I cant seem to find a realistic cost to do the job.

I did install my dash to fin a spot to mount my fuse panel. I have room right below the glove box. My pedal bracket is being painted so it's not in. I think I can mount it there too.

4. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

My dash I had painted hot rod black. It looks like a satin finish. The red dots are the two spots I have been thinking of mounting the fuse panel. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Ramen likes this.
  5. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

[​IMG]

It seems I answered my own question. My dimmer switch wiring is fairly short. So I'm going to see where I can mount the fuse panel based off the dimmer switch location.

jmait769 likes this.
  6. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I had another option to buy a scout. It ran pretty good and doesn't have as much rust as others I have seen. I can't justify the price he wants though. It's to bad because a second one would be a lot of fun.

7. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

[​IMG][​IMG]

I mounted the wire harness today. I couldn't decide if I wanted to use bulkhead connectors. I decided to pass all wires through without a pass through connector. One less area for corrosion to happen.

I bought a bunch of nylon split braid wire loom from eBay for much less then what painless wiring charges. I used American auto wire power plus 510004.

I have the wires correctly sorted out for what goes under the vehicle as compared to inside the vehicle. I don't plan on running my main power wire from the starter. I have an American auto wire 500155 junction block. This is how I will split power to all systems. I will post more photos as I go.

FrankeMiddleton likes this.
  8. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Some of the items I will be using to wire my Scout. Uninsulated connectors. Once I crimp then I will fill the void with solder and heat shrink. I won't be using any plastic or nylon connectors. I am not a fan of how they look. All uninsulated connectors I am using are from delcity.com. Also I will be using my junction block as my main power splitter. I will be using a similar diagram like the mad electrical wire diagram.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The mag daddy magnets are a little pricey but worth it. They are extremely powerful. I am using them to lay out my wires and hold them where I need them. I'm not sure if I will use them permanently or not but they make a great assistant.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  9. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

[​IMG]

I mounted the pedal to make sure I won't have a clearance issue. I can't mount my fuse panel where I did. It looks like I will be mounting it under the hood above the brake master cylinder.

10. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I found another mounting spot. I ended up drilling a 1.25" hole next to where the vin plate will mount. I am using an expandable grommet from Ron Francis. I will have to expand my dimmer switch wiring slightly which I didn't want to do. Everything else will fit good though.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

My progress will be slow. I have very little extra time. So I am able to spend maybe a half hour a day. I plan on running relays for the headlights and electric fan I will be installing. I did get my wires sorted out last night. All wires that go inside the vehicle all of the wires fit through my 1 1/4 grommet. I did have to run a second wire for the gas gauge since I have split tanks. I choose a wire I had that was close to the same color but different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Slow and steady is a great way to do electrical. :beer:

13. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Haha my whole project is slow and steady. I'm trying to be ready to drive it by the first of the year.

14. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

I ran my junction block to the fire wall. I will run my main power here for the vehicle. I will also run my alternator output to this point. From this spot I will run a power wire to the starter solenoid also. I mounted the starter solenoid where I had it originally on the heater box.

[​IMG]

jmait769 likes this.
  15. js2515

js2515 Farmall Cub

Hello! I am currently rebuilding my box as well, but am having trouble sourcing the replacement parts. If you still remember, would you mind sharing where you got your parts? Having trouble with he input shaft seal and bearings in particular. Thanks!

16. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

The input shaft seal is a part that is very hard to find. I found new old stock seal from ihpartsamerica. I think they still have some in stock the last time I looked. The bearings in mine were still in good shape. My issue was physical damage to the worm gear itself.

17. js2515

js2515 Farmall Cub

Good shout on IHPA, they had a NOS one (or so I thought). Turns out the site was wrong, and it was no longer available. The search continues!

18. FSM09

FSM09 Binder Driver

Let me see how many I have left. I may be able to send you one.

19. js2515

js2515 Farmall Cub

Hey thanks! I would appreciate it!