Think it is time

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast Binders' started by Fred Demmon, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Been thinking about this for a while.
    Do to the work restraints and the such I think it's time for a new president of GCB.
    My schedule is extremely full, as proof by forgetting to have a May meeting.
    I am not giving the club the leadership it deserves, pulse I think new blood, with a new perspective is a good thing.
    I have reached out to someone I thought would be a good candidate, but he interest was not there

When I became president, it was because our previous leadership was getting a divorce and were no longer going to continue. They asked for someone to take the helm. I didn't really think I would have the time (let alone qualified). But no one else was interested and I did not want the club to go away, so I agreed.

I am hoping we have multiple people interested and need to vote.
    Please PM me if you are interested, I want to have this completed by the end of August.

I still plan on being involved, and not selling off the fleet, just think it's time for a change

2. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

I hereby nominate Sully or Dirk to be our next president.

3. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

I have the feeling that GCB along with Hill Country Binders is dead. North Texas Binders is very much alive. What we may need to do is combine clubs to form one Texas club.

4. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Besides, two of our members are selling off their Scouts and buying Jeeps.

5. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Makes going to meetings a lot harder:)

Just because 2 guys bought jeeps????
    They sold their scouts to SOMEBODY.
    Don't agree that they are dead, just not sure what to do to create interest.
    Scouts have gone up in price, so that means more interest.

Thought maybe the distance is the issue, but GCB HCB & NTB all have issues similar.
    Around the country the clubs seem to struggle.

Have given lots of thought to this
    Same day/time each meeting (2nd Saturday of odd numbered months)
    This way everyone can plan to attend, knowing exactly when the meeting will be held

With the lack of input on this thread.....maybe I should have stopped long ago

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. scoutpappa

scoutpappa Farmall Cub

I have to know who's selling and getting a jeep

7. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Those people are welcome to bring their Jeeps. For the most part, we are happy to have who ever wants to show up, play nice, and not drunkenly drive thru our evening camp fire. :)

Prior to the last HCB Binder Bash, I was showing up, not only in a Jeep myself, but I had to borrow it from my wife. :(

Mark Aycock likes this.
  8. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Hello Fred,

Which ever way things go with Gulf Coast Binders, thank you for your service as president.

I'm glad you are staying with us.

And hope to see you at the NTB Round up in October!

9. sullyscout77

sullyscout77 Binder Driver

I fully apologize Fred as I have not been on BP as much lately, but this is a sad day. I can't speak for others but everyone knows how I feel about this club and the IH community in general and it's hard to accept that the interest has been dwindling over the past year and a half. I don't attribute that to any shortcomings on your part. You had held this club together, juggling an impossible schedule and we are all very grateful for your sacrifices on our behalf over the years That said, I personally have spent a lot of time trying to "rally the troops" for more participation, but rather than the regular 6-10 folks that tend to show up, the efforts were to no avail. Some of us have been impacted by the Oil & Gas downturn, watching every dollar in the event that we are left jobless, others have life events, health issues, new child, divorce, lost jobs, "life", etc. Whatever the reasons, it appears that the numbers and interest in monthly meetings are dwindling. I would recommend we have a "TIME OUT" until cooler fall weather and then call a meeting to discuss the future of the club. (Something longer than the typical meetings have been). Maybe we can make a questionnaire for the membership to fill out and list their likes and dislikes for consideration in the meantime. They can post here or PM you or myself. The HCB Binder Bash and October Roundup seem to have gained the best interest over the past years but even HCB is having the same issues as we are. I agree with Mark in that NTB seems pretty solid so We can see what they are doing differently. Club meetings, or the lack of them will not change the friendships that have been forged thru our gatherings and for that part of your involvement, you can stand proud. Again, I think we need a "TIME OUT" to reflect and see what it will take to breathe new life back into our club. If we are still at a standstill, then we can narrow the focus to a smaller group and build out from there as interest gains. Cathy and I will be here to help in any way we can and are ready to meet with you anytime to discuss further. Dirk and I will be at NATS in less than two weeks and I know some of the NTB gang will be there as well. That'll be a great opportunity to toss around some ideas as well. This is a great community and worth any effort we can muster to keep it going.

10. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Speaking of friendships from the club. You may have seen the post last month about my transmission. Stan Sr and Stan Jr spent a Sunday replacing my transmission and Dana 300. I helped. It was really nice of them to work all day long in the heat. Thanks again.

11. mike goodwin

mike goodwin Farmall Cub

Fred I'm sorry to see you step down but I surely understand. You are a very busy guy! Just my two cents but I think Mark should be part of the club leadership. He along with Sully and Dirk are a big part of what makes our trips to Marble Falls such a good time.

We do not have any secret formula for keeping the NTB going. We try to keep it as simple as possible. Once a year we plan out our monthly meeting schedule and now we post it on the BP. The meetings alternate between the East and West sides of the Metroplex. They are a combination of breakfast, lunch, and evening get togethers. Breakfast seems to get the best turn outs. I'm at nearly all the meetings and do not get discouraged over low turn outs.

People come and go but the core is usually there. I have known so many people that come to one or two meetings then gone, but sometimes they show up much later. Just this week an old friend that hadn't been out with us in a long time texted me to say that he and his boys would be bringing their Scout to the Round Up this year.

Here are some of the things that we do to keep the interest up that may not be evident.
    We have monthly meetings. These are really just social gatherings with minimal club business. Its really helps putting names and faces together and building friendships.
    We are on the BP and FB. Most of the new folks that have reached out to us have found us through the FB page, so we try to keep both active.
    We try to remind everyone of our meetings. This includes updates or bumps on the pages and I usually send text messages.

We have a very low Scout turn out at our meetings. Its a sad fact, but that doesn't mean we can't get together. Our last meeting was dominated by diesel trucks ;-). I am a member of a couple other car clubs that don't even let you park if you are not driving the club car. I get it but don't like it. NTB is not that way. I will kid with people (sorry Tom) but I'm just happy to see everyone because they are the reason for the club.

I am available if I can help just give me a call or PM.

12. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Monthly would be great. My wife's lace group meets at our house every Monday( Dairy Ashford and Richmond). Two of the regulars come from Texas City and Galveston.

13. Lakedog

Lakedog Farmall Cub

I'd hate to see this area's International chapter fold up. I've had mine for about a year now and just about have it back on the road. I'm at the point of looking for help with the running gear, local shops etc. I hope this chapter can make it.

14. Lakedog

Lakedog Farmall Cub

Oh yes, pictures. [​IMG] before

[​IMG] just about finished with body work and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. sullyscout77

sullyscout77 Binder Driver

NOT folding up, just re-grouping. Stay tuned here and/or facebook under Gulf Coast Binders.

(BTW, Nice Scout). :punk:

16. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Welcome!

17. Lakedog

Lakedog Farmall Cub

Good to hear. So few of us have AC in their rigs I agree with the concept of taking the summer off. Maybe a beach or lake run. How are the off road trails in the Sam Houston Forest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Mark Aycock

Mark Aycock High Wheeler

Come to Hidden Falls in October. It may be a little cooler. I'm about to order an Old Air Products a/c system so it will finally be tolerable.

19. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

So Mark
    Are you offering to host the meetings?
    :)

20. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Mike
    Thanks for your response
    I agree about Mark.

After having time to reflect, I think planning out dates (and possibly locations) is a great idea.
    Gives people a chance to plan to attend. We already move them around in an attempt to keep everyone involved

I had some issues with sending group emails and so some meetings were only attended by those who saw it here.
    As president I always try and plan the meetings, so I could attend. To plan in advance would most likely reduce my ability to show up (kids stuff creeps up all the time) but think it would be better for over all attendance.
    (Also me actually DRIVING a IH to a meeting might help)

There are lots of events in Galveston, so to plan a gathering there might be a good idea in the hotter months (March-Nov :) )
    There is a Sand Castle competition in early June that is very cool, might be a good option.

Unlike you.....a meeting with less than 3 people (including myself) does bother me some.
    I have had meetings that 1 other person showed up. Makes me question the process and WHY it's low

HCB covers a large area with Austin/San Antonio, The DFW metroplex is a large area as well. I believe geographically GCB is smaller, but still spread out.
    I know many of us are always recruiting every chance we get to try and increase participation.
    There are some good things here to talk about.
    Thanks