The rebirth of the Scout that started my obsession...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Many of you all know the beginning of the story, but it got a new chapter added this weekend that I want to tell. I'll start at the beginning so it is all at one place (some of this will be cut-n-paste from a thread I had started years ago on the BB).

In 1982, my parents got a 1980 Scout II. It was a demo vehicle with 12k miles. They were the first name on the title.:punk:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mom drove the thing just about every day. I remember going to school in it, riding through the mountains, washing it in the river, all kinds of fun stuff! Mom got a used Caddy around 1990, and the Scout was retired to snow plow duty. My parents would have let my brother or I drive it, I’m sure, but who’d want a dang ol’ smokey, non-power-having diesel Scout?! So it sat most of the time, in a field, behind their house.

Flash forward to 1998…My brother got a Jeep. He wanted to do some wheeling with it, so I tried to get the Scout. No way! Okay…I looked high and low for a flat fender Jeep. No luck. Finally, Mom and Dad decided to sell me the Scout. Dad wanted to give it to me, but Mom had to get a little cash for “her half”…so I gave them each a dollar, and it was mine. (After I “bought” it, I looked in the ashtray, and there was Mom’s old change stash. I haven’t counted, but I’m sure it’s over my $2.00 purchase price. She won’t take the change back, and I won’t take it from the ashtray, either.) I took a good battery down, glow plugged the wee out of it, and it fired right up! The neighbors for a half mile knew it was going, too. The smoke was massive, to say the least!

So anyhow, I got it running, and acquired/made some parts to replace the floors, rockers and mounts, etc. I hit the road to find someone to do the work, and it was WAY more expensive than I had imagined. Sooooo, "Scoutco" had it's first project, back before Scoutco even WAS. I picked up the torch, Sawzall and the welder and learned a LOT. Ended up with a 4" lift and 31's for a while, then added a body lift and 33's, a couple ARBs, regeared from 3.54 to 3.73, put in a rollbar, Rhino'd the inside, etc, etc, etc.
    [​IMG]

Spent a pile of money and time, but it was cool to have the Scout all along, and know that it was mom's old Scout. At some point I decided to go SOA and high steer on it, and put 36's under it.
    [​IMG]

At this point the body was still looking pretty good from the top, but underneath was a little sketchy. Our family was growing, and much to my dismay I suppose I was getting old, so I pulled it from the road several years ago. I parked it in the shop, and decided that I would make a trail Scout out of it in my abundant (har-har) spare time. It sat. And sat.
    [​IMG]

I got with the guys from GRC and we decided that a nice winter project was in order. Randy, Jason and Adam came up this past Thursday night from Georgia, and we had a BLAST hanging out, throwing sparks, munchin' some good grub, and just being guys in the shop. Honestly, an awesome break from routine that I think I really needed! And in the meantime, we (well...THEY mostly!) turned this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Into THIS!:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't say enough about these guys! I feel like a complete idjit when the angles start getting bent and notched, but these guys made it look like child's play. Amazing work! Amazing fun! Amazing friends! CAN. NOT. WAIT. To get together again to get this thing finished up and going, guys! I'm scared to work on it without you, though...kinda like picking up a brush and fillin' in a few details while Picasso is takin' a pee break from the masterpiece...you just DON'T do it!:nono:

The plan is to haul this Scout to Nationals, rather than drive my orange one again. We shall see...:yes:

2. Mike Moore

The GRC guys did talk me into repainting it Tahitian Red with the Waves stripe for nostalgia...and I am stickin' to that. However, while this picture shows ZERO of the cage work, I still have to say that I keep going back to it and staring at it today...it has a cool factor to it that I can't pull away from.

[​IMG]

3. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

OMGosh! Your mother is going to kill you when she sees what you have done to her Scout!:no:

I am torn, I have always like the Tahitian Red with the waves, but it would be pretty cool to paint it to match RT.

To say that GRC is impressive would be an understatement!:rockon:

4. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Mike, I had a blast this weekend. Thanks to you, Jennifer, and Matt for letting some dirty, bearded guys come in and crash at all hours of the morning. I told Mike this weekend that I was excited to work on this truck because early in my Scout days, I right clicked, save as wallpaper this truck a couple of times. Long before I knew who Mike Moore was. This is going to be a really sweet rig when it's finished.

5. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

Looks killer, and along with Mitch, I wouldn't expect anything less from that crew. Nice work guys, wish I could have been there to partake in festivities. I'll get to see it first hand on Wednesday, hopefully :D.

6. Mike Moore

She was all okay with it until we did the SOA on it. She told me then that it was too big. Go big or go home, though!;)

I am stoked with it! I sprayed some etch primer and bombed some black paint on the front-est part today so I can reset the firewall on it and get the SD33T back in, to get to work on firing it up. Still unsure what color to paint everything tubular, but at least it'll have something on it up inside the hinge pockets and whatnot. I may do it a medium silver metallic, then paint the bulkhead and roof panels THM (Tahitian Red Metallic) to fit in between all the tubes, still allowing the tube art to be visible and stand out. We'll see. Y'all are welcome here any time! We can even do meatballs and Martin's again!;)

Yup, yup. GRC is da shizzang! See you Wednesday!

7. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

I'm looking forward to following this build. Just make sure you don't park it with the other projects you have. :oops: Not that I have room to talk.

8. Mike Moore

Yeah...the orange paint on that fender is cool...but so is the LT1 decal.:oops:

9. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

:wheelchair: Pulling up a chair..

10. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Wow, you're parked right next to yourself, mirror-like.

Or is that a stunt double?:cornfused:

JJ in TN

11. Mike Moore

If I were to paint it orange, I would name it that: "Stunt Double". I like it.:)

12. Mike Moore

Another weekend in the books. This was a half day Friday, and a Saturday, so it doesn't appear to have had as much progress done...but there was not too much idle time in there! The eye fro detail, and the "artful" side of this thing is rockin'! I'm ecstatic!
    Deep in thought:
    [​IMG]

SSII style door bar on there!
    [​IMG]

Sheetmetal hangin', still unsure on the fender cut, though. I'm struggling with making a cut that still looks like a Scout, but clears everything and "works".
    [​IMG]

Fancy gusset (pronounced "goo-SAY", it's french!) work on the rear corners!
    [​IMG]

More fancy! This is the seat riser, and the tube that the seats mount to is bolted to these for easier removal if need be.
    [​IMG]

Now to get the little SD33T fired up and mobile! I already have the itch to get it running and play a little this spring! Gonna be a big ol' mess of fun!:yes:

13. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

That is going to be one sweet machine! :beer:

14. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Stop spoiling Randy! He is not used to working in a shop with concrete floors! Make him work in the parking lot, he will get more done!:D

15. Mike Moore

My spare time rarely lines up with my spare money. This project is sitting in the dusty corner of our shop here at Scoutco. Pushed back, but not for long. GRC needs to make one more trip up to finish their part, then once summer's long days come along, I will follow up by getting it running and driving. My goal is to have it at Nationals in August.:yes:

16. Mike Moore

Another weekend in the books. Now it's time to get off'n MY butt to get the thing running again. Fingers crossed for Nationals....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mike Moore

And the process:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mike Moore

I learned a poop-ton, laughed even more, and even cussed and bled a little bit in between...and had a total blast! Thanks SO MUCH to the GRC crew for the effort...I'm totally pleased with this thing, and can not WAIT to get it cleaned, painted and blinged out for a few shows...then beat the poo out of it with y'all!:punk:

19. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

That thing is sick! I'd have trouble mounting skins on the rear.

20. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

Not mentioning any names but somebody's having way too much fun......