The Quest begins...

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by Caver Dave, Jan 30, 2009.

1. R290

R290 High Wheeler

wow that is a good deal, here they want 9.99 for each relay

Glad its working for you.

2. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

Well, after *MANY* delays (holidays, lost job, got new job w/ HUGE time commitments, etc) I'm almost done! :D

Started by revamping all the pulleys/mounts to align the belts (bastard mix of different years of water-pump lengths, pulleys, and mounts). Now have 2 belts around the crank, WP, alternator (CS144) & York w/ a single over to the PS pump (for now).

The CS144 is the bomb! Bill had recommended swapping out the old SI (due to voltage spikes) and with the inclusion of a junkyard fresh Taurus fan, was just the ticket. With EVERYTHING on (lights, wipers, engine, fan, radio/amp, CB), it's staying in the mid-13VDC range (still no voltage checks from ECM... Tater has my cable :no: ). The fan is just as good, keeping everything chilled, even on the low speed... high speed should come in handy after hard use this summer.

Still working on the OBA layout... underhood space is getting "cramped" (with all the relays, winch controller, plumbing, coolers, etc.), so it may/may not happen before the summers first ride... but have all the parts needed (discharge fittings/hose, manifold, switch, unloader, ridiculously HUGE 5" gauge, 3/8" nylon tube, oil/water separator, regulator, etc)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looking good.
    Be careful what hose you use for the OBA. the factory AC hose fittings or hardline is good. If you try to run some regular air hose or lowtemp line the heat and pressure will take them out very quickly. And it's normally when your airing up to drive home.

Maybe next winter you can upgrade to the 7427 PCM and get dual fan controls.;)

4. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

Tell me more! (I looked back thru the FAQs, but didn't see anything) :D

5. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

Coming around to 5 years ago when the TBI went in & I'm STILL grinning!

To date, it starts every time and stays running until I turn the key off! Outside of swapping the fuel filter (PRE-pump) every year, there's been zero "maintenance" needed... Though i did swap to a fuel cell after the 40+ tear old tank was mangled (classic case of being somewhere/following someone that I shouldn't :D)

Once again, thanks to Bill and EVERYONE that contributes here!

Jeepster JAM 2012 (Windrocks in Oliver Springs, TN)

The Moss @ 1:17 and again @ 5:06

6. Bill USN-1

Good to get an update Dave.
    It's nice to see guys actually post up after their done.
    Most threads are only about guys problems.

Your experience is what it's all about.
    Make our old stuff more efficient and reliable.
    Tune ups are basically gone now, Oil stays cleaner longer and the engine will probably last longer now that the carb isn't washing the cylinders down every time it floods over.

Body damage is the spotters fault.
    You didn't need the fender flares any ways.

Did I detect a little exhaust leak?

It all looks fun.
    Worst day wheelin is better then a good day at work!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

7. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

While posting updates & vids may appear to be a bit "self-serving", my hopes are that someone sitting on the fence and undecided if this is worth it, takes note and proceeds full speed ahead. It was still one of the best mods I've ever done. Sure, anyone can drop in the latest/greatest (insert fav junkyard takeout), but it takes class to run the original stuff!

Folks with issues that don't report back the resolutions gripe my bottom! :censored:

Yes you did... And it's only gotten worse!
    Plan to take it to my "exhaust artisan" later in the month for a revamp/reroute of the "Y-pipe" after a replacement for the craptastic OE cross-member is fabbed. I *think* I can gain about 2" under the belly plus adding a skid of sorts to protect the tranny pan...

8. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

So, it's been 9 years since the quest began for a better running engine... I still grin and will bend the ear of anyone within range when I fire it up!
    Back in April '17, drug the Moss out to Moab for a week (50th Anniversary of the Jeepster) with almost 100 more. The *only* issue, which I should've anticipated was my awesome running tune (1000' elevation) was gutless at 4000'+ :no:. In hindsight, should've have asked @Bill Hamilton before I left...
    Aside from a couple of mechanical issues (lost a belt, TC cable shifter issues, and 6 broken hub bolts), it ran well enough to drag me up/down/across some of the craziest terrain I've experienced!
    Thanks again guys!
    Copy of IMG_20170417_145656.jpg
    Copy of IMG_20170420_195525.jpg

9. Bill USN-1

Log some data next run and let's see how it's doing.
    You can always bump the base timing a few degrees at altitude to help.
    As long as it doesn't ping your fine.

10. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

Well, on the eve of the 10 year mark, I've encountered the first issue...

I pulled the Moss out of the tractor shed where it's been since Oct.(?), fired up great just like always and ran fine. Pressure washed her real good (last trip was a mudfest on the heels of the Hurricane Florence) and let her sit until dark. Fired her back up and moved her into the carport... just as I entered the carport, she started running VERY rough and what appeared very rich, but did make it. Over the past few days, I've fired her up several times, about 1/2 of those half were more rough running (sputtering/black smoke) and the other 1/2 easy start/perfect idle/running like a champ. the last few times were pretty bad, CES light lit, so decided somethings definitely wrong.

Today, I pulled out my old laptop, connected the cable and brought up WinALDL. Oddly, I get no connection... after multiple COM port changes, triple checking cable, etc.
    Decided to try the paperclip method to read the codes and get nothing but a solid CES.

Pulled the ECM out of the glovebox and found about 1/4" of water in the backside of it :censored:
    Thinking that the water may have fried the ECM given the symptoms (running bad, can't get WinALDL to connect, and paperclip method returns a solid light)?

Unfortunately, I can't find my spare (relocated to a MUCH smaller place and 80% of everything is still in totes until shop is built next year) and the only other 1227747 modded with ZIF socket I know of is at my brothers... may need to make the drive for it (will swap the Netres & tune chips since his is I=6) just to troubleshoot before our annual ride in 4 days?