The Quest begins...

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by Caver Dave, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

YeeHaw! Glad to see this site online! Kudos to Bill & others :clap:

OK, on to the tech! I'm beginning the (parts) collection phase of doing a 1227747 based install on my AMC304. I've been warned by several yards that finding a good TB is hard due to throttle shaft/bushing wear, so...

Question #1: I've been offered a fairly tight smaller bore TB (tight meaning shaft & bushings NOT worn out). It looks similar to the FAQ pics, but the TPS sensor is different, so I don't want it if it won't work. Is this vertical connector more/less favored over the horz? Will the harness side connector work for both or will sensor require another connector? If any minor differences, is there a reference doc for the part numbers?

It's believed to have both 4.3 & 5.7 injectors (1 set installed, the other loose) comes with "rebuild kit" (basic gasket set?). Current holder got it from another guy after he aborted his MS conversion. The price looks good to me, plus the 4.3 inj. can used on my brothers AMC 258 conversion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Question #2: I've also been offered a harness, ECM, TB from a '94 1500 truck, but believe the ECM is newer. Any use in grabbing this stuff? (I know, it's not listed in the FAQ! Just thought it may be "uncharted booty" :D )

ECM Specs
    Service#16196396
    BDUY
    86BDUYMF40840765

2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I assume you got my email reply...
    But to recap.
    The TB is fine. The TPS are all the same with the flat 3 connector.
    Aircleaner clearance is the only issue.
    You can simply hit autozone or the junkyard for either style you need.
    You will need the aircleaner spacer to run the straight up TPS.
    I prefer the 90°.

As for the 94 system. in ways it is better. The ecm has a much faster data rate.
    But it is a little more involved to program. you will need a motes adapter and eeprom chip for that ecm.
    I have a couple of those systems on my shelf for a conversion.

3. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

I did get your PM from POR (Thank You!), but have been slammed at work and shopping for some new 9mm "hardware".

OK, now my interest is peaked! :D

I'd be happy to search for this info, so if it exists, LMK (may needs some keyword tutoring).
    - By adapter, guessing it's a Gx system and requires adapting from "memcal" to EEPROM?
    - I'm not sure how a faster "data rate" is beneficial, other than faster comm = faster ECM correction?
    -Are the harnesses interchangeable (between this & earlier systems)?
    - What else does this system brings to the table over the earlier models (if anything regarding the programming?

4. Bill USN-1

5. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

You've talked me into it Bill... I'll stay with the 1227747! :D

6. R290

R290 High Wheeler

We need pictues of this mossy jeep:D

7. Bill USN-1

Don't feed the trolls!!
    It's a jeep, he can post a pic in readers rides!:D

8. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

True, but for all the Scout/Bronco jokes I've endured over the years, it should be an honorary shoe-in! :tt2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bill USN-1

well, "IF" I was to own a Jeep it would be a willys wagon or a commando.

I remember seeing a freshly rebuilt Commando roll down a hill in Moab.
    I'm sure the guy was crushed...not literally.

10. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

11. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

OK, back to the tech!

Since the majority of local yards have gone to M-F 9-5 (no Saturdays), it appears I'll need to take a day of vacation to procure the hard parts. I'm finally winding up support of a fairly hefty project (could be the last this year!), finishing the last 1/2 of the yearly HAZWOPR re-certification, and about to get ahead of various chores around the house. Hopefully, I'll be able to locate the "donor" in a yard and strike early next week!

In the meantime, stopped by RS tonight and got the electronic bits to make the ALDL cable. Have a very early day tomorrow, so decided to postpone construction until tomorrow evening.

Earlier today, I was talking with a bud about this project, which lead to a few more questions...

1- Does the RPM setting for the "A/C ON" have a max? If no, is there a point (RPM wise) where the IAC can't leak anymore air and the idle is capped?

2- Can the ECM control a fan relay(or 2) for electric fan(s)? I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but don't see an output off the ECM pinout. Maybe it was from a later model or another manuf. ECM?

3- In the parts guide, it mentions using the car versioned ECM, but having to run a IAT sensor. What are the pros/cons of this? Logic says the more data you can feed the ECM, the better it can adjust. OTOH, it's also another part/sensor to fail...

4- What's a good baseline for the reliability of JY takeoff sensors compared to new? IOW, should I be OK with takeoffs to start with (unless they are found non-functioning) and grabbing a second set or new once paranoia of catastrophic trail failure ensues? :D

:beer:

12. R290

R290 High Wheeler

Make a list of the parts you need from cars or trucks, there is a nice list in the FAQ

13. Bill USN-1

I actually exceed 500rpm added for my OBA and could probably go a little higher for the OBW.

The rpm is limited to the difference of the IAC position at idle to the max it will increase when the IAC hits it's max open position. Each engine will be a little different.

What do you want to use it for and how much rpm do you need?

You can set it to increase the rpm by 1000 but it doesn't mean it will be able to hit that mark.

14. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

So the ECM itself has no provisions for controlling the fan? I have a fan controller to add in, but was hoping the ECM might flip an output based on engine temp

No specific purpose outside of OBA and that range of rpm should be fine. More of a "curious minds" question... I understand 99% of the way everything works now (1% is the exacts of the TH-400) and want to keep it that way after the carb comes off!

Planning to call the yards tomorrow... wish me luck!

15. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

OK, enough of this piece-by-piece acquisition crap! Found a yard with a suitable donor ('88 1500 w/ 350/auto) and will be taking a day off on Thursday (supposed to be dry *AND* warm :rolleyes:) to rob it of the goodies.

Bill, I have an automatic, but have bypassed the Park/Neutral switch, so it starts in any/ALL gears. After reading your install re: the P/N switch, I'm not sure if I need to leave it disconnected at the ECM or if it needs to be looped :confused:

16. Bill USN-1

Manual bins leave it disconnected.

17. R290

R290 High Wheeler

Your sig says th400, do me a favor and hook up the neutral saftey switch just in case we meet up on the trail one day.

18. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

Believe me, I was torn about deleting it to begin with, but after a few trips with the carb, found it totally necessary! The switch is still in place, so wiring it back into the mix shouldn't be too hard. I do have a LARGE label above the key switch asking "Got Park?" along with a Mister Yuk likeness to always remind me it will start in gear. ;)

Hopefully, the TBI will keep it running on silly angles and negate the need for "emergency in gear" starts!

19. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Farmall Cub

Re: The Quest ENDS!

Took the day of fto hit a semi-local salvage with my brother. Aside from forgetting the cooler of drinks & snacks (left it sitting in the garage), it was a good day. It had rained last night, so the ground was soggy, but at least it sunny & in the 60s! :yes:

Anyways, we scored 2 complete TBI systems...

Mine was from an '88 2500 w/ 5.7L & auto. Grabbed the entire engine side harness including the tranny loom up to the drivers firewall block. ECM:
    86AMUR
    K382001116

My brothers (for his AMC 258) came from an '88 G10 fullsize van with 4.3L. ECM:
    86AKDW
    K181682529

Can anyone help me decipher these ECM numbers? IIRC, the link posted for the broadcast code/bin info is defunct...

2 gallons of diesel to get there $4.50
    2 trips to the vending machines $5
    2 complete systems $200
    Finally acquiring the GM components and NOT being inside on such a pretty day... priceless :D

Now the fun begins! :rolleyes:

20. Bill USN-1

Great deal.

I can decipher the BIN for you but you already know exactly what they came from and what engine and tranny they had.
    So what other info would you like?