The "other" Scout

Discussion in 'North Texas Binders' started by Brett Whitaker, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Brett Whitaker

Brett Whitaker Binder Driver

Some of the longer time members of the NTB may have actually seen the other Scout during one of the meetings at my house. I've restarted a little work on it a little. This was more due to trying to get some room in the garage. Instead of just moving stuff around, some pieces have actually ended up on it.

A little background - this was the Scout II that I originally thought would be the off road truck. But switched gears when I realized it would be a better daily driver than the off road truck. Why? Because I don't think I would have wanted to wheel it after putting it all together.

Like the off road truck, I have most of the parts, just not enough parts.

Truck plans:
    • Complete Kentrol fiberglass body (have and on frame)
    • 392 - Holley Projection, Stans headers, Mallory dual point distrubutor, RPT aluminum intake (engine from an earlier offroad truck of mine)
    • 1980 D44s front and rear with 2.72 gears and ARBs (have and have started install)
    • Wide T-19, 3 spd transfer case with .8, 1.0 and 4? to 1 gearing (have and converted T19 to 6 bolt round output with AA kit, have Stak transfer case)
    • Cabtop will be the only original metal piece (from my very first Scout)
    • Original non-folding bench seat (same)
    • No lift
    • Use to go fishing
    • Oh! And a/c! I want one Scout in my life that has working a/c.

A couple of weekends ago, I cut out the roll cage and race harnesses that were in it. It was a modified SmittyBilt. Also installed a 32 gallon gas tank I had bought from John Kimbrell eons ago. Installed the only decent rear chrome bumper I have.

Goal is to get it off jack stands soon. This weekend I removed front axle which was not complete. Put in non-driving front axle out of my dad's Traveler. Removed big honk'in sway bar. Put Warn winch bumper and 8274 winch that (that's always fun). And more or less installed a factory original front skid plate. It actually works well with the winch bumper. I do not think it would play nicely with lift springs due to interference with the drag link and or tie rod.

Nice thing with this truck is I already started wiring some time ago. The wires are well labeled.

I'll take some pictures when I roll it outside. Hopefully, maybe, that will be next weekend. At least with the winch on it, I'll be able to pull it back up into the garage.

As always, with my projects, don't hold your breath. :no:

Brett

2. sullyscout77

sullyscout77 Binder Driver

Looking forward to the pics Brett!

3. Brett Whitaker

I had put the 2WD front axle on the truck a few weeks ago. This weekend I installed a temporary rear axle (I have no idea where it came from). I finally found a set of spring plates and u-bolts, but couldn't find the proper washers and nuts so I have some cheapo's holding it all together for now. Also there's a set of some of the smallest Swampers one can buy on it 29x8.5x15s.

Next weekends goal is to get it down off the jack stands supporting the frame and then get the 3" body lift off. It looks kind of ridiculous with the suspension at full droop and a 3" body lift with 29" tall tires. It would be nice to get the steering attached as well so that I can steer it while moving it in and out of the garage. The winch is on it, so I'll use that to get it back into the garage.

Pictures when it is sitting outside.

Brett

4. Brett Whitaker

Last night I got the radiator installed as well as the cross piece that the hood bolts to. That really squared up the front end. Then I slipped in and upper/lower grill, minus the plastic insert. The front actually looks a little bit like a Scout now.

I also got all the crap cleaned out from under the truck. So this weekend should be a go to get it off jack stands and the body lift off, after the club meeting.

Brett

5. Brett Whitaker

The eagle has landed

Well it is on the ground with only one broken cinder block. Yeah I know :stupid:

Anyway, maybe I can get the body lift off today still. The front springs must not be stock as it several inches higher in the front. Not an easy task with the drive train in it and a winch on the front too. There is a big drawer unit in the bed of the cab top. So there is some weight back there.

I think it's going to look like a low rider with the body lift off. It is already strange to be able to look into the bed from the side, as it has been on jack stands for so long 16-18 yrs.

Brett

6. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

We need pictures Brett !!

7. Brett Whitaker

Body lift gone

Pictures? Garage is rather embarrassing right now.

I didn't think getting the body lift off would be such a big deal. But you don't go jacking the body up as nonchalantly with a fiberglass tub and a 150 lb. drawer unit in the back. Plus the darn thing was blocking the removal of the two bolts at the back of the bed. :censored:

It seems so strange to look down into the bed. Height of the tub straight above the rear tire is within half an inch of the Scout in the driveway. But the Scout in the driveway look so much bigger with the travel top compared to the fiberglass Scout's cabtop.

Brett

Ok looks like this without the paint and doesn't run, but does have the winch on it.

[​IMG]

Old view from the back.

[​IMG]

8. Brett Whitaker

Snow day

Took just a little bit of time this afternoon to go out into the garage. In the picture above, what is really a bed rail box that I'm using between the drawer and the bulkhead doesn't really work. It contacts the wheel wells and forces the handle of the drawer unit in the space occupied by the tail gate.

Now with a little less fear of cutting and welding, I notched the bed rail box to clear the fenders. Now it drop in perfectly and there is clearance fore and aft.

I moved the drawer unit all the way to the passenger side and my 235x75x15 BFG AT just barely drops into the original spare location on the driver's side. I don't think it is a big deal to move the drawer over as most of the time the tailgate will be closed and the offset will be unnoticeable.

Also started looking at the Hungus "roll" bar. Those things never did fit properly. I think I've come up with a good approach to make it mount to the wheel wells pretty well.

Brett

9. Brett Whitaker

Was able to play a little bit yesterday. Made sure second battery goes in the space I wanted it to with the a/c. Looks like the Optima will sit perpendicular to the inner fender between the blower and the a/c compressor. That will give enough room for the jack and a big Perko switch.

Found the right sized breather for the Holley Projection. I was worried that the hood wouldn't clear it and had start designing a 1/2" lift. Glad I checked though. Drug out hood and was able to measure just a little over 5/8" clearance between the breather and the hood. So the hood lays down like it should.

[​IMG]

Maybe more this evening.

Brett

10. Brett Whitaker

Rewire

Started the rewire of the fiberglass truck with drawing all of the original electrical drawings in MS Visio. Then I started modifying for the rewire and grounding requirements of the new body. There's not a lot to do in Abilene!

Finally did some real work on it today. So I took some of the original headlight sockets and disassembled them.

[​IMG]

I removed the wires from the old female connectors (a bit of a pain), but with only one wire a 10 awg will fit. Re-crimped them, made some shrink tubing wire labels with the original IH circuit numbers on them, and put it back together.

[​IMG]

So the wires are purple. They won't be any less confusing than all green and the wire was free. I hope it's still good after nearly 30 years.

Between that and running the lights off a solenoid style relay, I hope the lighting will be much better.

Brett

11. Brett Whitaker

Fuse blocks

Ordered and received fuse blocks from West Marine. They are Blue Sea Systems 5029 12 Circuits and use the ATO or ATC fuses. Don't know the difference yet.

The goal is to have most everything have its own fused circuit. Made up a plate and bolted the fuse blocks to it. Then I started connectorizing and labeling the wires. In the process, I'm making wire labels for the off road truck as well.

Here's a pic

[​IMG]

The label numbers are original IH circuit numbers. The colors of wires aren't right and won't match the originals. But the wire was free and is good stuff. I do have an over abundance of green. So at least that will be close. :)

Brett

12. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Cool work!

That looks great Brett.

I do have to throw in a "don't cut the green wire" comment though.

Glad you are getting some down time from work to be able to work on your projects.

13. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

That is looking really great Brett!

14. Randy Z.

Randy Z. Binder Driver

I added a Blue Sea to Rusty way back when for accessories I was adding. It has held up fine for at least 5 years now, should work out well.

15. Brett Whitaker

A little (very little) wiring related work. I'm going to add a second access panel to the back of the fiberglass truck, just like the gas filler lines access panel behind the spare tire. The new one on the passenger side will be the place where all the wires will run to all of the back lights and provide a ground.

I roughed things up and then ran a bead of two part epoxy and stuck the terminal blocks one. There's one for ground, running lights, left turn/brake signals, right turn/brake signals, and backup lights.

[​IMG]

Now I need to go find some ring lugs with the shrink tube as part of the lug, as they will be exposed to the elements some.

Brett

16. Brett Whitaker

Made a little progress over the weekend on the wiring. I decided to go with the Weatherpack bulkhead. It accepts anything from 22 - 10 awg wire, just use the right pin or socket. These connectors are like the smaller 1-6 wire GM connectors with the seal. Most of what I'm running is 14 awg. I'm marking the wires with the original IH circuit numbers. This one is both sides of the "front" bundle which goes to the headlights, horn, brake switch, etc. I'm also running wires to drive relays for some front fog lights and am paralleling the winch controls to an in cab receptacle for the winch control cable.

[​IMG]

Brett

17. Brett Whitaker

I did some more wiring harness work over the weekend. I've finished up the bulkhead harnesses (engine bundle, front bundle, and rear bundle) for this truck and the engine bundle for the off road truck. This does not include all the connections to the gauges and switches under the dash, just wires with wire tags. I also made a test harness. Basically it is a T that I can plug in between the bulkhead connector and its mate and have a third end that I can plug volt meter probes into for troubleshooting. Last night I found the overhead console for the off road truck and decided to use the same style bulkhead connector to get wires into and out of it as well. More on that next weekend, I hope.

Brett

18. Brett Whitaker

Ordered and just received the Molex 9 pin connectors that go on the back of the stock gauges. I had previously ordered the sockets and were going to reuse the old connectors, but at less than 50 cents a piece from Mouser Electronics, I went ahead and bought new ones. The correct Molex part number is 03-09-1093.

[​IMG]

The old harness has been screwed down to a 2 x 6. Hopefully next weekend I can start laying out the new harnesses for both trucks.

Brett

19. Brett Whitaker

I had hoped to work on the off road truck this weekend, but with all the rain and cooler temperatures I didn't feel like being outside. So I got a little work done on the wiring for all of the rear lights and trailer connection for this truck. Hooked a battery charger up and tested all the lights.

[​IMG]

Brett

scout2000 likes this.
  20. Brett Whitaker

Made some more progress today. Made temporary connections to the plug that connects to the light switch and wired in the fuse blocks, interior part of the rear bundle, and the part of the rear bundle that goes to the rear lights. Connected a battery up. I now have Circuit 68 - Tail Lights that works all the way from the fuse block to the rear lights. Then did all the wiring for the panel lights, everything but the lights.

Brett