The obligatory what tools to buy thread

Discussion in 'The Tool Box' started by badpolizei, May 6, 2020.

1. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Or a Smoke wrench[/QUOTE]
    gas axe

2. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Another great place to find used tools is Facebook marketplace. On Craigslist you can set alerts and get an email notification. Estate sales can be awesome. Every vintage USA tool brand is good to go. Most vintage China/Taiwan tools were subpar. New stuff (last 15 years) is getting better and better, even excellent, but still quite a bit of junk out there. For tools that you need right away I would go Harbor Freight 20% coupon. Don't lose your receipts. If you have any specific projects like a brake job or wheel bearing service we can give you a list of what you'll need. Otherwise, as stated the list is endless.

3. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

It's all been pretty much covered here, bus since I've been doing a lot of wrenching on the scout lately, I'll just tell you what I'm using the most....

3/8-9/16 sockets. I have also used 5/8- 7/8 but less frequently. I've been using a 3/8 ratchet and wrenches.
    #2 Phillips screwdriver , #2 flathead
    Needle nose pliers
    This will get you pretty far in regular maintenance of a scout. You can remove and replace nearly anything mechanical with these tools.

If your going to do wiring, then side cutters, wire stripper, soldering gun

If you going to remove whole axles or springs, a set of 1/2 sockets from 1/2 through 1" and a 1/2 inch ratchet is nice.

If you had these things, you could earn near build a scout from the ground up. There would be a few special tools along the way, but if I was just starting and had a limited budget, I would take this list to harbor freight and buy the professional Pittsburgh tools, and doyle pliers.

4. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

I guess it depends on what part of the truck you work on most. Engine or suspension. I feel like I use a 3/4" wrench and socket a lot. And also the combo of 9/16" and 5/8" for shocks and spring shackles maybe.

5. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

I may not learn a lot but one thing I have definitely learned all these years - having the right tool for that task at hand can save lots of time maybe even headaches later. It has taken many years to accumulate the tools in my HF rolling tool box and stashed throughout my workshop.
    A set of stubby wrenches is very useful. Offset wrenches can make a big difference sometimes. A breaker bar with the type of handle that a length of iron pipe will slide over when you need that extra oomph. Impact wrench rated sockets won’t break on you. Torque wrench ( I have 3 different sizes to cover inch pounds on up to really f-in tight).
    There are some newer battery operated impact wrenches. I don’t have one yet. I’ve seen a friend use one. Impressive. No need to get the compressor fired up.
    Autozone will loan a lot of specialty tools for only a deposit. Very helpful.