The Mystery Engine Rebuild (345)

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Oakland_Jack, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Ricky B

Ricky B Farmall Cub

Ok, I'm less than half way thru this thread and I can honestly say that I haven't laughed so g-damn hard since my little brother 'stole' a gal from me in a Mulege bar----only to find out a half hour later that 'she' stood up when 'she' peed. Jeeze but I never let him forget that for years----and I think he still hates my interior organs. And though that was three decades ago, it's the reason I still sleep with a gun under my pillow. 'Cuz ya just never know.....:D

Regardless, I'm presently going thru something very similar.....but completely different. And though I kinda frown upon myself for hijacking other's threads, I'll just leave y'all with this basic see-nario. After sending a '77 304 short block & heads to my guy to re-build it s-l-o-w-l-y and somewhat c-h-e-a-p-l-y when he had time.....I bought a my$tery 345 of my own. And I can already see that it's gonna be a very cruel summer......:D

RB

2. Eric VanBuren

Eric VanBuren Lives in an IH Dealership

The Fel-pro permatorque head gasket does not squish significantly that is one of the reasons that you can reuse them w/o problem.

3. jauringer

jauringer High Wheeler

What's the latest Jack? You getting anything done on this?

Jason

4. Joe M

Joe M Farmall Cub

I was thinking the same thing. I'm on pins and needles. I do know jack is working a lot lately but Jeez, put that scout on a higher priority!

5. Shawnee

Shawnee Farmall Cub

omg I'm dying of laughter! "little droopy" thats too good

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

jack,i don't think that tire is going to help much ! jeff

7. Oakland_Jack

Oakland_Jack Binder Driver

Good Afternoon All,

Jason, Shawnee, Joe, Jason, Eric and Ricky, thank you for the inputs. Sandy has been on hold for several reasons. The block is at the machine shop but they have gotten overrun with jobs there. We like to lube-up our spinners and expand our bass amplification in Oakland this time of year it seems. The sound of vibrating Olds Cutlass body panels driven by mega-bass on 23's warms the cockels of my heart (my apologies for talking about my cockles in mixed company). Spring is here. I'm not sure this population segment overlaps with Carl's speed shop, but for some reason Carl is busy at the shop and hasn't magnafluxed and cleaned the block yet.

That is not the real problem though. I had a little paint touchup work to do on the closet floor. I started and finished the job but got a dab of paint on the baseboard. Welp, the lovely lady thought I should paint the closet baseboards so we went and had a look and discovered the wallpaper was discolored. Allow me to reintroduce scope creep. Within 20 hours of seeing the wallpaper was discolored, the entire closet was down to its studs. Now this sounds like a lot of work. Don't stop there...with the plaster down, I could see the knob and tube wiring in the 102 year old house that lead to a subpanel fuse box with those little screwy glass fuses. Yep, you guessed it, the paint touchup job is now a full house rewire. This might be the most expensive paint touchup job I've performed yet. The good news is that the meter guy won't have to knee down into Paco's favorite poop spot in the yard to read the 100 year old meter under the house. I've now got modern breakers at code height on the outside of the house! I've got some gently used knob and tube for sale real cheap....

I suggested that the meter-reader guy chip in on my rewire job but he said no. I'll ask his wife next as she is the one that mixes her clothes with his work pants in the washing machine.

But that is just the start. I also got caught up in a rockslider project, a 33 gallon skid plate project and a transfer case swaparoo to add terralow to my scout. But none of this is the problem...the real issue is that, like my gently used knob and tube wiring, I'm real cheap.

You see, I concluded that to remain true to my anal engineering self, I couldn't put the 30 over pistons back into the block as they were a bit too small (they are 5-8 mils in diameter smaller than the bores). This suggests new pistons. I've thought about it and decided I'd rather pull my motor (I believe untouched and 70k miles total) and start with that block. There is a good chance those pistons are fine and if they are not, I'd be buying pistons for the original bores or perhaps slightly larger if I have to rebore. I think my block is likely a better starting point. The new pistons were the tipping point of the cheapo-jack see-saw.

The down side is that I'd pull my truck out of service for months while I rebuild and summer is upon us. Rrrrrrr. I will likely wait til fall if I can stand my motor that long. I've been hemming and hawing about this for weeks now and have tried to deal with the problem as all real men would do, I've avoided the issue by distracting myself with other stuff. As it turns out, reading this thread you'll likely learn more about the dysfunctional engineer than you will about scout motors. I suppose if you've read this far, you've already accepted that fate, or else you too are dysfunctional and instead of addressing your problem you are avoiding it and reading this thread. Or maybe you are in prison.

May the guards treat you well, Jack

8. Oakland_Jack

Ok. Time to rebirth this thread. Not reborn, just restart. Yesterday, for President's day, two friends and I pulled the motor out of my scout. Thank you Joe and Jim. I guess you have to have a monosyllabic name starting with J to work on the machine.

I now have a vehicle in my driveway with no motor and two engine blocks in the garage (Sandy and the former 'runner'). There is a solid chance my wife will now leave me. I thought I was headed towards redneckdom when I started describing a motor as a runner. Now I don't even have that. I'll call this motor Stinky, because it stinks. Literally.

I think I will start a new thread instead of keeping this one going as I'm now describing a different motor. I mention it here as I put this thread on pause last year promising to continue it. I also promised a case of canned beer to he/she that offered the most useful input and have not forgotten that (decided when motor back in truck and running as previously described). Jason is still in the lead.

I'll point to the stinky thread here once I start it. Thank you all for your sage advice on rebuilding motors as I have no experience with it.

cheers, jack

9. Oakland_Jack

10. R290

R290 High Wheeler

Waterpump Its not to hard to adjust the clearance. Get the felpro gasket as they are .015 or 1/64 thick. I rotated the vanes up just a bit at a time using a dial gauge for gears..once it could feel it barely touch the volute I just added the gasket for proper clearance

11. R290

R290 High Wheeler

Its not to hard to adjust the clearance. Get the felpro gasket as they are .015 or 1/64 thick. I rotated the vanes up just a bit at a time using a dial gauge for gears..once it could feel it barely touch the volute I just added the gasket for proper clearance