The Mystery Banana

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Scoutcamper, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Well, 1 step forward and 2 steps back...

Fried my starter solenoid trying to get it cranked. Parts on order from Rock Auto to get it back to a point where I can again attempt to get it started.
    In the meantime I've been collecting the parts to change out all the coolant hoses, hopefully the radiator is still good. No obvious leaks, but the lower radiator hose is shot. Unfortunately that's the one that was back-ordered.

I'm thinking about doing the Ford starter solenoid upgrade while I'm in there. I have a feeling I'll probably be replacing the ignition switch / steering column wiring sooner rather than later, The PO had a push button start hacked into the system.

-Josh

2. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Soon...

20180721_154749.jpg
    20180721_154855.jpg

But I'm planning on taking my '01 Durango on the trail run with the Sonora Desert Scouts group tomorrow morning, so probably not going to have it running this weekend.

Waiting on install- New starter, Pertronix Ignitor, Flamethrower coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all coolant hoses, VC and pan gasket, and assorted other bits and pieces.

-Josh

3. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

4. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Some super cool period turbine style rims:

20180812_191502.jpg
    20180812_191512.jpg
    "1976 W.R.Grace & co. / Appliance Industries TurnoVer Mags" according to the guy I bought them from. They need a little TLC, but I should be able to get them in shape by the time I'm ready for a good set of tires.

I know I've seen this style wheel on the Scout II before- does anybody have any pics?

-Josh

Wombat likes this.
  5. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

No build progress to report, but I did score a screamin' deal on a Scout parts stash this weekend. Spent most of the weekend roughing it up by Lake Mary near Flagstaff with my oldest son's Boy Scout troop on their annual "survival outing", and then ducked out Sunday afternoon to grab the parts.

Scored a bunch of door hardware, some brand new seatbelts, assorted seals, gaskets and hardware,an extra tailgate, and a bunch of other goodies. Also some Scout II Traveler parts, so now I guess I need to buy a Traveller...

I'm looking forward to some quality wrenching time this weekend coming up, if the stars align.

-Josh

tim vaughan likes this.
  6. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

About to finally have some free time to work on the scout again this weekend.

Any tips / tricks / warnings on replacing the oil pump and pickup? I already have the pan dropped (see old posts on previous fluster-cluck) and I plan to swap out the oil pump and check the torque on rod and main bolts before replacing the pan gasket.

Thanks,
    -Josh

7. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

You will need to rebuild the pump they don't make new ones for scouts.

8. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Nice wheels! I think some of the scouts came with those from the factory. Did you ever get it started? I haven't ever had any trouble with my oil pumps so doing know how the pick-up tube is on them.--- But if the are pressed in like gm then put a couple of braze tacks on the housing and tube connection.

9. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

The pick up is an o ring fit.

10. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Still have not gotten the Banana started. I've been too busy acquiring other parts and getting ready to work on Project Wilma. I picked up another set of basic aluminum rims that will fit a Scout, and another set of wrong-size Wagon Wheels with a set of brand-new Goodyear 235/75r15 that I think I'm going to turn into the driver set for the Banana. Other than that, it's sat. Hopefully I'll break my logjam of projects and get back to working on it soon.

-Josh

11. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

12. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Got the LST for the Banana (and Wilma) today! Here's the LST for the Banana...

1973_Scout_LST_p1.jpg

13. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

What!?!? The Banana originally came with a 345! The PO thought it was always a 304! and this was a 1-family vehicle. Pretty neat. Follow along to see if I decide to rebuild the 345 I have sitting in the garage, or keep the 304... Oh, the suspense!

-Josh

14. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Also, according to the LST, the rear axle is a 3.73, while the disc brake front currently on the Banana is tagged as a 3.30 ratio. Interesting...

-Josh

15. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Dang your LSTs are sooooo much cleaner/clearer than mine.

16. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Just to clarify, this is the scan I got from the Wisconsin Historic Society, NOT from behind the glove box.

-Josh

17. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

Josh - I know. Mine require eye strain and interpretive skills to read.

Mustang likes this.
  18. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

It's been a long time since I did an update on the Mystery Banana, but I'm finally back on it. I had snapped up a tired 345 in need of rings a while back, with the intent of building it to replace the Banana's (incorrect) 304, but before I had a chance to tear into it I got sidetracked with life and working on project Wilma, my '67 Scout 800.

But I managed to grab what appears to be a good refreshed / rebuilt 345 and the entire drive train for a Scout II auto, including axles that match the ratio I SHOULD have in the Banana. Three backbreaking days of clearing garage space and moving parts and this is now safe in the garage waiting cooler weather and free time to swap in...

20190705_102020.jpg
    20190705_102043.jpg
    Wires / plugs are pulled because I checked the compression using the starter before I bought it. Turned over fine, carb appears to brand-spankin' new, and no obvious leaks or metal shavings in the oil. The guy I bought it from was selling it for a customer doing an LS swap.

I'm psyched!

-Josh

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    jeff campbell likes this.
  19. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Great to see your getting back to the banana!

20. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

In my never-ending quest to spend too much time and money on Scout parts that I may never get around to using, I present my latest find for the Banana...

20190818_234616.jpg
    20190818_234625.jpg

Yes, that's a Scout II cab top, and the correct steel one (not Terra fiberglass one) at that. Saw it pop up on a sale site and had to jump on it. Got the bulkhead too- visible in the background.

Something I really LOVE about the Scout is the idea of being able to switch out and have an open bed but still have the option of not getting rained on / snowed on.

Anybody know if these tops are un-obtanium? It seems to me I've seen a lot more of the Terra cab tops than the standards. Wondering how many are out there?

I'd better get to installing some of these parts soon, or I'm not going to be able to walk in the garage soon.

Anyway, I'm psyched and thought I'd share.

-Josh

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    oneof3k and jeff campbell like this.