The EVOLUTION Project

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Got the cage in, driver seat mounted. Wiring hasn't been touched since I got back from vacation (last week) as we're finishing up some bumper orders. I've got some pictures to add, I'll get those up later. Stay tuned.

D

2. Damian Grihalva

Well, I've been really busy finishing up some orders over the last week since getting back from vacation, but I have managed to do a few little things on Evo.

First, I wanted to finish up the cage and get it in the scout. The cage came together pretty nice but I wanted something a little more so I added a couple bars to give a more agressive look. So I added two diagnol bars to the back of the scout ~ this not only gives the look I like, but helps tie the top of the main hoop directly to the rear foot plate for more strength as well.
    [​IMG]

Next the seat was added to see how things felt.
    [​IMG]

Here are some other views of the scout. Obviously the cage is a family cage from the big rear section, but I really like the way the diagnol bars help take attention away from the utilitarian look of the cage. Matt will get all the room he wants, but still have a great looking cage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my minds eye I like to imagine what the scout will look like out on the road/trail. This view comes to mind ~ looking down the driver side rear quarter taking a peak inside ~ the cage looks great and the seat and dash really make what could be 'just another beat up scout' into something more. Know what I mean?
    [​IMG]

Another view of the Krawler dash w/ black-faced Autometer gauges. This version of our dash conversion is used to take the place of the dash pad ~ which is normally cracked or warped. I like the way it gives the whole dash a completed and clean look.
    [​IMG]
    ( If you like what you see and want one of the conversions. Let me know.:euro: )

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now. I love building this scout for one big reason. The body is hashed but the suspension is going to be 100% bling. I don't know what it is about that that gets me, but its like a big smack in the face to all those fancy-pants rigs you see driving around on big blingy rims and tires with gwady (sp) paint jobs. They buy all the big stuff, they have the fanciest tires ~ but when business turns ugly, they're parked and watch from the sidelines. I love the way this suspension says its 100% bling, and the body communicates 100% business. Like the original scouts, this rig is a superiorly build rig that will 'be there' and 'do that' whenever/whatever its called upon to do. Seriously, I wouldn't think twice about taking this rig down the road/highway or down a super gnarly trail. I need to make a bumper sticker that says "Park your jeep, this will take a scout".

Thats it for now. This week we'll focus on getting the rig on its weight and the wiring button'd up. Once the skins are back on, its off to the exhaust and brake shop.:clap:

3. Damian Grihalva

Yo D ~ when are you going to bring your scout down for a little 'somethin-somethin'

4. Architectdave

Architectdave High Wheeler

:rolleyes: UPDATE UPDATE!!! PA-LEASE!

5. Ki Areese

Ki Areese Binder Driver

x2 After reading the whole post, again ;)... I'm hankering for some more.

6. Damian Grihalva

I'm sorry about this thread ~ we scrapped the project.

7. Damian Grihalva

JUST KIDDIN':angel:

Details coming soon.

8. rustbucket

rustbucket Farmall Cub

Good one!! My eyes just about popped out of my head.

9. scouting II's

scouting II's High Wheeler

Your sick..., that wasn't funny.:cowboy:

I am wishing I had a few extra bucks and lived in Colorado Springs.

10. Damian Grihalva

Alright, lets update this.

The wiring is finally on the home stretch ~ so much so, we're getting everything lined up to get the rig on its weight and get it over for brakes and exhaust. The big hangup we experienced is that literally all stock knobs and such were MIA ~ and their hardware. We still don't have the heater controls, but those can come later. We ordered a new brake, headlight, wiper and highbeam switch from Painless Performance and those wired in nice and clean.

The last picture of the dash showed wires everywhere, here's how things cleaned up. Each lume is a seperate section of the harness and they all get routed to their various places.
    [​IMG]

Since the axles are equipt with ARB lockers, this section of the harness (normally slotted for power windows and such) will be used for the ARB switches and main power. That way everything is fuse protected.
    [​IMG]

Next item was squaring off the rear diff. I really hated to put a drum brake system on this thing so Matt humored me enough to allow for some disc brakes. As usual, this is a TSM disc brake kit. Got the box:
    [​IMG]

Took everything out, took inventory...
    [​IMG]

Installed.
    [​IMG]

:rockon:

11. Damian Grihalva

Got the tires for it as well. These are the same rims we had before, but with bigger tires.
    [​IMG]

Good old SuperSwamper Trxus MT's
    [​IMG]

37x 12.50 variety.
    [​IMG]

Put them on to see how they fit. The tires are not fully seated, so the tops look like they're out a bit.
    [​IMG]

Here it is from the front.
    [​IMG]

And the side.
    [​IMG]

Looks about right, we'll need to trim a little off the back crunched sheet metal, but that's easy enough to do. I'm happy to see the width of the scout. Its not super-ubber wide like so many 'built' rigs you see these days, but when everything is on its weight, it'll be wide enough to be stable. Properly porportioned.

12. Ki Areese

Ki Areese Binder Driver

Thanks for the fix.:) She is looking awesome, I wish I didn't live on the other side of the country or you would have another build to write about.

13. Damian Grihalva

You know, I have your Scout brought out here! :euro:

No problem man, I'll have more pretty quick.

14. WITTS

WITTS Farmall Cub

It feels like I fell off a cliff, you can't just stop in mid flow... LOL I think I speak for everyone else, where is the rest of the build? It is hard to be patient when something so cool is at stake. I will keep checking this tread... JW

15. Damian Grihalva

Thanks guys, I understand, we hope to have this rig on its weight by weeks end.

16. Damian Grihalva

Well, here's some more updates for you. After the back end was put on its weight, we couldn't help getting the front end on its weight too.

We had to put both front springs in to level it out ~ you'll have to excuse the mess, Paul has been building bumpers all day.... but here's a shot from the back.
    [​IMG]

...and one from the front....
    [​IMG]

Paul gives Evo his famous "magnum" look ....
    [​IMG]
    :confused:

It was getting dark, and I couldnt' get a good shot so I pasted two together....
    [​IMG]

17. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

nice photochop!

18. Ki Areese

Ki Areese Binder Driver

she is looking awesome :rockon: I have to stop reading these threads they are making me think of spending money I really really shouldn't think of spending :death:

Keep it up, can't wait to see her in action :)

19. Damian Grihalva

Thanks ~ I'm definatley excited to see this rig coming back together. Looking at those pictures makes me want to clean the shop. Building bumpers is messy.:death:

Matt should be coming over to help put the fenders and such back on. Should have some better pictures by the end of the weekend.

20. Damian Grihalva

Just sing "Merry Christmas to me" while doing it... may help.:sorcerer:

Thanks for the compliments.