The EVOLUTION Project

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Wayne_L

Wayne_L Farmall Cub

the rear axle looks darn sexy there . coming from the desert i love score and baja style prerunner designs .

i would not worry at all about using square links on the bottom .you had reinforced in all the right areas . look at all the score and baja trucks they all use square links on the bottom . some are much heavier but the lighter classes are using the same as yours and your not pushing 700 hp + .

im building a link front end on my 68 800 here soon ..i have been using my 67 800 as a mold .

the main problems here is finding the right tube sizes to fit bushings and heims in tubing here . the shops here locally dont carry DOM tubing at all and if i order it , it has to be minumum of 300 feet and i can justify that expense .

so i have been using 1/4 in thick square rolled tubing and schedule 40 and 80 .

i like your sub frame idea for the link mounts as well . although it does reduce a little frame clearence it makes the frame more rigid and easier for your customers to mount and keep square . Here in Alaska the local PD likes to measure our frame heights and if its welded its considered permanent and gives a few more inches of leeway . my scout can only have a max of 24 inches from frame to ground at the lowest hanging point fixed .

but the rear end looks trick while reducing alot of weight looks very sharp ..keep it coming .

wayne

2. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Ya, I'm not sweating the links at all. Some have looked at them and said "Non-adjustable links??!?!:eek:" All I can say is, this isn't my first time running links in back. Besides, both sides of the links are 100% adjustable.

:cool:

You can use 2" DOM x .250 wall to fit chevy bushings ~ cut them down to whatever you want (width wise). It all works out. You can normally get tube from some fab guys over the internet ~ or internet steel suppliers. I know I've sent tube out here and there.

Exactly. The 1/4" lost is nothing compared to the strength and ease of installation gained by them.

Well that'd be the lower link mounts then. To me that means you can get more lift and have a low point to measure from ;)

Thanks

3. Damian Grihalva

UPDATE:

Finally got the upper links from the machinist yesterday, that took a while. Now I can finish up that rear end (after I ship some cages later today). Can't wait to get that button'd up. Still need to massage and install the coil brackets in back, order the coils and get things rolling there.

Got some progress $$ from the customer so I ordered up the Coil-over shocks from Sway-a-way along with some 400# springs and the dual-rate kits for initial setup.

Got some decent measurements from frame to axle for the front and back. Looking at 15.5" from bottom-of-frame to top-of-axle in front, and 14" in back (same measuring spots). I'll be able to adjust from there.

Front axle should be done today ~ another thing taking too long ~ but it'll be nice and done and I can start mocking up the front end. Stay tuned.

4. Damian Grihalva

Got some progress. First thing was to finish the rear 4-link setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Came out pretty good, pretty tight, but I'm going to mount the upper link-to-axle mounts closer together ~ just in case.

Then built and put in the front lowers. Front axle will be picked up tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Scott Sinner

Scott Sinner High Wheeler

You're kind of moving this build thread around arn't you? :eek:

I sure like your the idea of packaging up a kit all in one place, with instructions.

This, at least the rear that I did, is a very straight forward install when it comes right down to it, and gee, things that fit, at the right angle, with good instructions, it's like putting the Mayo in the tuna can...

Are your rear coil brachets for 2-1/2" or 5" coils?

6. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

:mad: First things first, I hate this thread! :mad:
    I can't seem to win the lottery and I am getting sick of reading it every day..it just keeps getting better every time! I can't keep cleaning up the drool...the wife and neighbors are all talking.
    I even DREAM of it! I blame you Damian! I gotta go,I can reread the thread one more time before I go to bed...... :D

7. Scott Sinner

X2... I noticed the same thing, It helps a bunch to get questions and comments to try and get things worked out and justify what the hell you are trying to do. Believe it or not, there was just a little bit of winging it in my 4-link :eek:

I reread you post and saw you will be able to use coils on the front instead of having to go the coil overs. I think this makes a lot of sense and broadens the appeal from moderate to full monty type rigs.

I haven't started my front end yet because I'm still trying to figure out how much front wheel travel I want, need, or can use before I run into stuff like driveshaft limitations.

And then one more question, Are you going to try and make the kit for stock SII D-44's, or are you going to have to swap axles to HP44 and 9"?

8. Redbeard

Redbeard Farmall Cub

almost a week now, any exciting news?

9. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

YEAH...its freezin frackin cold here....again....lol

10. Damian Grihalva

Picked up the front axle on Saturday ~ that took longer than expected ~ but doesn't everything. Sway-a-way's are on the way too, ordered those a week ago Monday, should be here soon. Things will be picking up soon ~ I had a SCORE cage to build for a guy running a scout in the Baja 500 this year. That took a bit.

D

11. Damian Grihalva

:laughing: Well Reddevil, I'm sorry, I normally don't try to torment people. We'll be updating this thread soon.

12. Damian Grihalva

Nothin' wrong with wingin' it :eek: ;)

You want it all, you need it all ~ stop asking silly questions ;)

Yes, I will be making a kit for stock axles. Just this one is using HP44/9 for axle strength, trickness, width, parts availability and aftermarket, and stuff.

13. Scott Sinner

:cool: Right Answer!

14. Damian Grihalva

Wellk thats at least one point for me ;)

15. Tonka Toy

Tonka Toy Binder Driver

WHAT!? :eek:

Ok, am I the only one that wants to hear more about this? :rolleyes: :D

16. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

x2
    Spill the beans Damian!
    Pics needed

17. Trukker

Trukker Farmall Cub

X3
    please do tell

18. Damian Grihalva

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  19. Ricky77

Ricky77 High Wheeler

*laugh* Hell I go and sell my scouts, get away from them all together and just on a whim jump back in here to see if anything new can be done to an international. What the hell was I thinking? D that coil set up is looking really really nice and because of this thread I'm going down to Carlsbad NM to look at a Traveler, haven't had one of those yet and I think it would kick butt coiled.

Oh God here I go........ again............ the wife is going to scream......... again.

Ricky

20. ktsno1

ktsno1 Binder Driver

i think its awsome but its all out of my league. and price budget im still following it though