The EVOLUTION Project

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

You're telling me. I missed out on a NEW Atlas t-case for 1500! I was pissed ~ the guy just got in and decided to go with the 4-speed case. It literally was just taken out of the box and that's it.

I feel what your saying, it happens to everyone.
    D

2. Damian Grihalva

Another LONG driving day yesterday as I drove up to Denver, dropped off the two front axles for surgery, sold the old lift kit, and picked up the rear 9" for this project.

I was supposed to pick up the truss system, but ran out of time. :mad:

Front axle should be done by Friday, and the goal is to have the rear axle ready by then.

I while I was installing the frame sleeves w/ link brackets onto the scout, I realized that the new brackets don't work in their stock form. Becuase P3 and Rusty had doublers I never ran into any problems with the transfercase hitting the upper link mount. This one did :mad:

I had to cut the top/back half of the bracket off to make it work.
    [​IMG]
    Since the bracket is made of 3/8" plate steel there is plenty of beef still in the bracket after the notch job. I did plate it smooth again, just in case ;).

Once the frame sleeves were installed I stitch welded them in. These are in 3" increments with the ends fully welded from side-to-side.
    [​IMG]

Another
    [​IMG]

Then came the hardest thing to figure out ~ The new crossmember (I hate doing these). Turns out the front upper link mount is right where the old crossmember was. So I had to move it behind the mount. But at the same time I wanted it to be right under the transmission mounting bolts. After laying there for a bit with a few peices of tube, I came up with this.
    [​IMG]

To make sure its plenty strong, I used 1.5" x .250" DOM That joint is FULLY welded and gusseted with 3/16" plate. Off the main tube I used 1/4" angle iron. Mounts to the frame sleeves with SII spring bushings, fitted in DOM and a couple 3/8" thick shackles cut in half serve as mounts to the sleeve.

Should do the trick. ;) OH, and while I'm thinking about it. I know it looks like its smiling in the pictures, actually its just the angle of the camera. Also, my favorite thing about the new crossmember is that it'll be just as easy to install the front driveshaft as it is to install a rear. I know ~ simple minds.

The only other thing I did today is order up the coil mount system for the rear axle. Should be awesome when its done. Got a PM about the truss system, they are done and will be shipped on Monday. I was hoping to drive up the WY to get them today, but couldn't get a hold of Bob before it was too late to leave. Oh well. Putting the rear axle under this thing is going to be awesome. I can't wait :D :D

3. Rando

Rando Farmall Cub

Ha, i drove up to Denver today too. it sucked azz.
    what size tube is that for the frame sleeves? my frame is all cracked where my front shackles mount. i was thinking of sleeving it like that. or do you think it's too much?
    looks nice so far BTW.

4. Damian Grihalva

Tell me about it. My truck was clean when I left, now its dirtier than its ever been with me. I hope you had plenty of windshield wiper fluid. I actually ran out on the way up. :(
    I had a buddy with a break form it out of 1/4" x 10-12" flat stock Worked well and is definately beef. It may be too much if you're planning on keeping your springs. I've used 1/4" x 4" flat to patch frames before.

Thanks! ;) Come by some time.

5. Damian Grihalva

UPDATE:

Still waiting on the truss for the rear 9" Its shipping today, so it should be here tomorrow.

D44 axles are up in Denver still getting surgery ~ Tom says he should be done on Saturday.

Link materials are at the machinist getting machined to match the bushings/flex joints. Also picked up some 2" to sleeve the lower links ~ to provide a skid surface. Lower links will be a combined 3/8" of material :eek: Got Beef?

Frame sleeves and link mounts are painted and waiting for links.

6. Trukker

Trukker Farmall Cub

Looks good Damian. Just wondering about the upside down d44, with the pinion now higher than the center line of the axle how does the pinion bearing get a good supply of lubricant?

7. Damian Grihalva

The housing's design takes care of the lube problems of the pinion being up so high. So no other mods need to be done to address it. However, I will be adding Lucas Oil Stabilizer to all the fluids to help keep things lubed.

8. Apoch

Apoch Farmall Cub

Is this kit only going to be for going big? I have wanted to see a coil conversion that doesn't lift the truck to the heavens, but rather gives you clearance for a 33-35, and rides like its on clouds! any possibilities of something like that? I don't even know if its feasible honestly.

9. ARMed

ARMed Farmall Cub

I second that!

10. Damian Grihalva

Yes, Normally I build for 35" tires, but 33s are definately doable as well. The only difference will be the length of the coils. Eveverything else is the same. So yes. It'll fit many different tire sizes depending on owner preference. I will say, however, that 33" tires will be the smallest I'd venture to put on one.

PARTS UPDATE ~

I'm jumping the gun here a bit, but I just got the rear truss in today from TNTCustoms ~ I got two of these, one for the YJ and one for this.
    [​IMG]

Its a freakin awesome truss and I'll be putting it on this weekend, just couldn't resist posting this pic.

Stay tuned, more pictures to come.

11. Damian Grihalva

Well, more progress done today. I've been held up on parts so this past week has been a bit slow on this project.

First I got the materials for the lower links set. Its 1.5" x 3" box tube with a 3/16" (or .188") wall. Normally I use 2" or 1.75" DOM (round) but this time I wanted to try something a little different. Too ensure the links were exactly the same length, I had my machinist use his CNC mill to cut the exact radius's needed for the bushings and FlexJoints. Came back like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the bushings are a tad bit on the small side. So first things first was to make the tube and the box the same height.
    [​IMG]

Then I welded in the large flex joint outer tube:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, I kept the adjusters in while welding to keep the threads from distorting. It worked.

Pretty
    [​IMG]

People have been giving me flack for using box tube, questioning if its going to hold up to abuse. Personally with the orientation I'm using it should be much stronger than DOM. However, to make sure I took some 2" box tube, just it down the center, angled the ends and welded it to the bottom side of the lower links ~ as a slider. :evil:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seam welded the ends, stich welded the sides. Similar to the frame sleeves, these are in 3" stiches.
    [​IMG]

Then had Matt (owner) assemble the bushings and flexjoints and we installed them on the frame.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the biggest bonus's of having Matt over to help with this build. I allow him to tear apart his axles, assemble stuff, and over-all get a good feeling on how simple this really is. Besides, if he's never done it before, how can I expect him to be able to know how to replace stuff on the trail when it breaks? ~ not that these links will break ~ but when the flex joints need replacing, he knows how they come apart ~ first hand. Same thing with the axles, I purposefully waited for him to come over to help with dissasembly ~ he took down one side while I did the other. We'll see how well he does when its ready to be put back together :evil:

12. Damian Grihalva

While I was busy building the lower links, Matt was busy cleaning up the 9inch rear axle.
    [​IMG]
    The only caption I can think of for that picture is "Whose paying who?"

Matt did a great job cleaning off all the grime from that axle.
    [​IMG]

By that time it was definately time for a break. So we headed out in search for some decent but cheap seats. I had seen some at Pepboys so we started there. They had some really nice seats, but they were $199 each, and special order.

I had been searching online and visited CheckerAuto's website and found the same seats that we saw at Pepboys, but they were only $139. I also remember them being available for pickup at the local store, so we headed over to see if they had any. Sure enough, they had them in stock and they happen to be on sale for 2@$250. Needless to say, we bought a couple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We loaded them up and headed home. It was time to spend some quality time with that rear axle. Once Matt had got it clean, he and I started mocking up the truss system. I was a little disappointed that the truss needed to be massaged a bit to fit the upper truss, but I remembered that some 9inch axles were slightly different (from year to year). Sure enough, the truss fit perfectly the 9inch I have in reserve for the YJ project. No big deal, we didn't have to modify it much, and after a short jaunt with the plasma cutter, everything was fitting pretty nicely.

Bare axle:
    [​IMG]

From the back
    [​IMG]

Up front
    [​IMG]

13. Damian Grihalva

Well, from there it was time to mount up the link-to-axle mounts ~ So I did some figuring, measured once, then again...and started welded.

Upper links and close-up of rear axle from the back.
    [​IMG]

From the front.
    [​IMG]
    The nice thing about the brackets I used from RuffStuff was that they allowed for me to weld 100% around the mounting surface. It should hold.

Then the lower links mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every bracket I've used has had to be massaged a bit to fit my design and exact angles, but needless to say, Dan @ RuffStuff has really put together some really nice junk ;) Definately better than this fat guy could do on his own. I wish I didn't have to mod them at all, but heck, what do you expect. With the proper tools I was able to get them spot-on within about a minute so hey, why am I complaining.

As much as I'd like to tell you we did more, I can't. Welding up that rear axle took some time. I didn't weld the whole thing up all at once, it was more of a weld a little, let it cool, weld a little, let it cool. 4.5 hours later, I have what you see. Now I need to have it blasted and coated ~ then it'd looks super sweet.

NA ~ can't do that, the coil buckets are coming from BTF on Monday and I still need to install those. $20 says I'll have to massage those too.

14. Gary Billings

Gary Billings Dreams of Cub Cadets

I like the 9"! Sweet!

-Gary

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  15. Damian Grihalva

I bet you didn't even recognize it. ;)

Yup, that's the one you gave me from your stash, I've got to fill it up with parts now (of course) but I thought you'd like to know it been to the gym and on steroids :D :D

16. Rough74

Rough74 Farmall Cub

Shoot... I was there, and I don't even recognize it. Not to mention, now I need the gym and steroids just to move the thing.

17. Damian Grihalva

Rear coil mounts came today.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see they'll be trapped top and bottom. Should work.

Placed the rear axle under the rig, squared it up and put on the lower links. I think the truss'd axle looks :smokin: in there. Looks like we're setting it up for desert racing. Who knows, it just may do that too! :evil:
    [​IMG]

From the front you can see the size of the lower links. Overall the links are 3.2" heigh, and 2" wide at the tallest/widest spots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The skids on the lowers came out much better than I expected. Very tough, very clean looking.....

... hope they work! :confused:

:p

Plans ~ Upper links are at the machinist getting tapped. I'm using 1.5" DOM uppers with 1/4" wall. The frame side will be bush'd and non-adjustable. The axle side is getting tapped to 1 1/8 x 7tpi. Then a matching 1 1/8" bolt will be welded to the large flex joint to create about 3" of adjustability (actually about 2" since you always want 1" of thread inside the rod). That will control the pinion angle. Uppers should be done tomorrow, then I'll set pinion angle and weld get everything ready. I'll also be placing and welding the coil buckets on. That should be done by Wednesday. Tomorrow the custom mod front HP Dana44 we're having built should be completed. I have a truss from RS coming and will truss the piss out of it and should have it placed by Friday/Saturday.

If everything goes well, I'll have the suspensions mocked/welded/painted and ready for coils and coil-overs by the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned.

18. Damian Grihalva

Actually its surprisingly light ~ not "Hey Matthew, come hold this" light, but light enough ~ nothing like those full on axles we were throwing around. ;)

Then again, I didn't have the shafts, brakes, and gears in it either :eek:

19. eluke13

eluke13 Farmall Cub

im not exactly sure if you have told us this yet or not but....

on TNT Customs website i was looking at the trusses and was wondering ecactly what the ones you ordered are suposed to fit and also will the front one fit also.

20. Damian Grihalva

TNT only makes truss's for axles that go under jeeps. Since HP44s and 9inch axles are common swaps, they support them. Therefore, I bought the complete 9inch truss from them. It included the top truss, the back braces and the lower skid.

I'm not sure if they have them on the site yet, give them a call.