The Bubba Scout

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by ddedman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Ddedman, build your own top! Wow this I've got to see. Greg

2. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Well as Jay had mentioned in an earlier post the Softtopper option for the SSII is no longer available. This is unfortunate as the Rynihl top is priced outside of my wallets capability. Looks like the custom top option is going to be the route that I take. I have two businesses locally that can do this, one of which did my sun visors and it took over a year, so he's out. The other I'm not sure of. I have access to an industrial sewing machine just no experience. I have the ambition to do this on my own however no time with the other project in the garage. Crap, what to do, what to do..

3. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  4. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Honestly I think the only difference is the small section above the insert where there would be a steel door instead of the insert and the top corner of the door itself. I need to go check out Oakland Jacks post. I did not know it was there thanks.. BTW I'm still on the fence in regards to custom version. I need a bug interior as well and I hate the stock options that they offer.

5. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Well i have started down the path for a custom top for the bubba scout. I have been researching and studying and making a plan. I plan on practicing my sewing skills while doing the interior for my daughters bug. It is a soft restore that got away from me a little bit and turned into a body off.

[​IMG]
    The interior will be this winters project. Spring my father in law wants front and side curtains made for his boat bimini plus he is floating some of the walking foot sewing machine cost possibly. After all that I will design and build the top for the scout.

So traditionally the scout tops have a mid and back bow which I like however I really like the look of the fast back that would mimic the slope of my cage. What are your opinions. Standard or Fastback?
    If anyone is interested I have gathered alot of information from a co,pay called sailrite. There a bit pricey but have great how to videos.

6. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

nice Bug looks to be about a '70 love that color

AD

7. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

I haven't started the top work yet. In fact I still can't make up my mind and might end up buying the rynil top. I have however started making the rollbar pads. I am teaching myself the art of trimming or upholstery and there definitely is a learning curve . Anyway here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Sample mock up for intersections
    [​IMG]
    Sewing the velcro..
    [​IMG]
    My helper today
    [​IMG]
    Test fit is ok. I would like to see more over lap and this piece does not have the binding on yet. I'm using 1/8 scrim foam with tan 1000 denier cordura. I'm not sold on the look of the cordura and would prefer a more canvas look. Maybe it will grow on me in time.
    [​IMG]

8. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Well the beta 1.1 version of the roll bar pads are complete. Again I learned a lot of what works and what does not. Spent s couple of hours making some sun screens so I don't burn my head any more. Way easier than a hat..:cowboy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts

9. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Big step forward this weekend in regards to the top for the scout. Big thanks to Johnnycobra for hooking me up with his hand me down Kayline top. Started the repairs and redesign today. All in all it is in pretty good shape. The tear flap needs the most attention as there was a rip and it had unstuck ed from its seam. The rip was first to be stitched up along with re-sewing the zippers as they were unraveling also.
    [​IMG]
    Seeing how this is really ugly looking I mocked up some old canvas to cover it up
    [​IMG]
    The color doesn't match but I don't care. This is a prototype anyway. Tomorrow I will repair the other half of the zippers and re-attach the rear panel.