The Bubba Scout

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by ddedman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Combine

Combine Farmall Cub

Truly impressive dedication and hard work, paying off in one of the best looking Scouts I've ever seen. Simply incredible, man. Many thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Best,

CMBN

2. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Just when you thought you were rid of me I show up for more. The bubba scout may be on the road however there are still some leftovers to complete. One thing is the roll cage. Some of you may recall way back in the thread I started building a tubing bender. Well its finally complete and ready to bend. I'm so jazzed it's not even funny.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's just a metal closet rod in the picture. I purchased a 13/4 die from chassis unlimited (best deal). I plan on mimicking gutpile's cage he did over on his build thread. More to come as I start bending.

3. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Good to see you back at it! :beer:
    Looks like another project has shown up in the garage as well.
    Pretty cool. :rockon:

4. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Made my FIRST test and calibration bend using the real deal tube and my home fabled bender tonight. It works great and I'm stoked..:punk:
    [​IMG]

5. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Starte

6. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Started the cage build this past week. Bender bends well however it's difficult to zero in on the actual angle. The digital protractor I'm using is less than perfect. Anyway nothing on this ride is perfect so why start with the cage. Main pieces bent and tac welded. Tomorrow comes the cross pieces. More pictures when done and installed.

[​IMG]

7. Comanche Scott

Comanche Scott High Wheeler

Like the style. Reminds me of a desert racing rig. :punk:

8. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Well the cage is done or close enough. It's not perfect but I learned a lot .
    [​IMG]
    finally got it to idle smoothly up until I readjusted the choke. One thing I never learn is if it ain't broke don't mess with it. Sometimes perfect is not obtainable. Now I need to either complete the fuel evaporator canister or delete it. Looking towards the deletion of it. My gas gauge is another issue. Intermittent at best. I can get it to register a little all the time and accurately every once in a while. I was thinking it's a bad ground. Will search further later.
    oh and replace the leaking oil pan gasket and now evidently trace the fuel leak in the fuel neck and whatever else pops up..:dots:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

ddedman, glad to see you back. I've been following your thread and enjoy the updates. Keep it coming, Greg

10. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Ok oil pan gasket replaced and hopefully leak stopped.
    Carb vacuum tuned and running well.
    gas gauge sending unit replaced. The old one had a bad float. Amazingly I was able to get the tank in and out in just a few hours. Future tip for others when installing a gas tank by yourself. A hydraulic jack and a partially deflated basket ball is like having 2 helpers.

Now for the new. After filling the gas tank because I now have a working gas gauge there is nasty leak in the tank fill vent tube.
    Gosh I sure like working on this scout.:censored::wrench:

11. gwinter1129

gwinter1129 High Wheeler

Ddedman, is the basketball to use as padding on the jack. Not going to say nice to have you back anymore. Last time I did you didn't come back for a month, Greg

12. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Ha, nothing personal or anything. Other summer projects are keeping me away. Yeah surprisingly the ball kinda acted as a cushion and also provided some stability once the tank was started into its resting place.

13. Jbhays

Jbhays Farmall Cub

Just read this build thread... Really really enjoyed it. Excellent work on the scout.
    You really started out with a rough truck and turned it into a diamond.. I started out with a nice truck and ended if in a few miles of ownership having it blow into pieces... Oh well, we each have talents...

14. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Hello Binder Planet. Im back again looking for more information. Im getting ready to pull the trigger and purchase my soft top made by softtopper. I will be purchasing the topper for the SSII and I realize that there are differences between the stock scout II and the SS. Im looking for installation pointers tips and tricks and if there are going to be any hang ups installing A SSII top on a standard scout thats been cloned to a SSII look. I will worry about the doors later.

PS. I hafta say that the member assistance, help and even interaction on the Binder Planet is awesome in comparison to the other site that I belong to in regards to the VW build im doing. Im also finding that they are kinda snobish and dont like it when you think outside the box, or semi-circle half round car so to speak.

15. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

It's been awhile since I checked in on this build. Wowie, wow, wow. :beer: Congrats on the trophy and a really awesome looking Scout. It's really great to see it fixed up and you getting to enjoy the rewards of all of your hard work.

16. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

+1 more!! :)

I have no experience with softtoper but plan on getting one for the 69. I did notice on their website they only have white SSII tops available and are discontinuing that model. Maybe some of our IH vendors have inventory on hand if you need another color? Hopefully someone will chime in with some long term experience with their tops!

17. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

Not being able to get the top in black would suck.. Figures..

18. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

I don’t understand them completely discontinuing the SSII line – maybe just raise the price slightly and make them only when someone orders it. :hammer: I also noticed they stopped using the zipper on the side panels and you now have to roll them up. That was the feature I liked the best!

19. ddedman

ddedman Farmall Cub

I am planning on calling one of the vendors to see if they might have one on the shelf but I highly doubt it. This might be a new chapter in this book. I have done everything else might as well build the top also.

I had also heard that Kentrol was no longer making the inserts either.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Here is where we got ours: B-D Company (Rhinyl)