The Browns trail rig gets caged up.

Discussion in 'Old Iron Offroad' started by lev1a, Nov 24, 2011.

1. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

A friend of mine from GA. had been in touch a year or so back about building a roll cage for his trail rig that he had been building. After getting some things worked out on his end he decided to make the journey to the shop and put things in motion. Marks took a pretty nasty roll on Tellico several years back. With that in mind he decided he wanted someithing in this one in the event this one ended up on its lid. This cage I decided to do a halo style that will be tied to the frame. There are also going to be Corbeau seats mounted on sliders going in, along with four point RJC seat belts going in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First got started with the main hoop.

[​IMG]

Halo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The windshield bar was split in half on the upper section and a piece of 3/16 plate sectioned in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corbeau Baja Ultras unpacked.

[​IMG]

Start of the seat tie ins

[​IMG]

Mocked up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it is all said and done the whole center section of the seat mounts will be removable seperate from the cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grab handle/ gusset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normal circumstances you can remove the bulkhead throw in some ratches straps and pop the cage straight out, but Mark had installed a permanent bulk head in this one so the windshield frame had to come off to brng the cage out so here are some shots it pulled outside for removal. There are still some things that need to be done , but it was at a point that it could come out to be welded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like this shot.

[​IMG]

Couple last shots of me doin work.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned. :beer:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:punk: Looking good, Levi.

3. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Well time for another update. We are about ready to put this one to bed so I thought I would post up some pics. First up since Mark will be running SS inserts he needed something to make climbing in a little easier. He had already beefed up the rockers by replacing them with some heavy wall rectangular tubing , but they needed something more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted up!!

[​IMG]

Now Since the cage was welded up, painted and back in we moved on to the frame tie ins. On the front I had to clearance the rockers as they are just a tad wider than where a factory units would be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear tie ins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also Mark mentioned to me that he wanted to skin in the empty section from his end caps to b pillar. I just happened to have a Terra here that is in need of quarters and there was just enough good metal left on one of them to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is about as far as we took it. This is a trail rig so "smooth' isn't super important so we didn't add any filler, but it still is pretty slick for no body work if I do say so myself. After some primer and a little flat black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now back to the cage work. I decided since the seat bars ran over the trans tunnel it would be nice if they were removable. SO with some ruff stuff flanges we made this happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reinstalled and ready for the seats to go in.

[​IMG]

We are also added five point harnesses in this bad boy so these little tabs made catching the harness tab in double shear easy as pie.

[​IMG]

Passenger seat in its new home.

[​IMG]

Driver side in its home

[​IMG]

4. Robert JetFxr

Robert JetFxr High Wheeler

Lev next time you are at the welding supply, grab a magnetic ground "clamp" it will make your life way easier. Cage looks good, now you need to link the truck:punk: By the way I know for a fact Mark will need that cage, I helped get him back on his wheels at Tellico. I hope he can drag that junk to Moab and then spend a few days here in Montana, we have a bear problem he needs to address.

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Yeah, Robert. Levi knows about that little incident. The link job MAY happen later, got to save my pennies!!:D

6. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Glad you dig the cage Robert. I will check into the ground clamp next time i go get my bottle filled. Doug was telling me all about Marks roll on Tellico so I am glad he decided to go with a full cage. I think links would be a nice touch to this rig along with some full widths. Maybe we can talk Mark into getting her back in the shop in the not so distant future. Mark I have a full 20' stick of 2" .25 wall DOM and some link brackets with your name on em when you get ready.:D I have some more pics I will post up as soon as I get a chance. :beer:

7. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

I have a question about the magnetic ground clamp

I sell these and have 2 different ones, but not sure what the difference would be in the application

Both are the same size and have the same magnetic pull(55 lbs)
    one is a 250 amp and one is a 800 amp
    What would be the application for each? One for Mig and one for Arc??
    There is only $4 difference in the cost $24 & $20

Attached Files:

8. Robert JetFxr

I think Marks roll (flop) was an honest mistake, it's easy to get the adrenalin flowing and hit the wrong peddle. I would say I was glad he had the Scout and it was amazing the way he rebuilt it. I would also speculate that Mark was the only guy around with enough cahoneys to take that Scout to Tellico. I would guess that is why you are working on a more trail friendly rig. I do hope to wheel with you fellows one day out here, leave the Boggers home grab up a set of red labels and lets have fun. Also Mark this is a true invite, I am about an hour and a half from Yellowstone and have a very good friend that farms/ranches a small 70sq mile homestead about 5 miles from my house. I just bought a Cooper (google it) rifle that will put three bullets through the same hole at 100 yards. Kinda western fun to reach out and touch the gofers:gunsmilie:

9. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thought I would post up the last of the pics from this cage build. Also pictured is the hood reversal we did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stickered and done!! Thanks to Mike Moore of Scoutco for hooking us up with these stickers.:beer:

[​IMG]

10. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Just wanted to tell anyone watching this thread, if you want quality work and a great guy to deal with give Levi a call!! Extremely pleased with the work and the easy-going manner in which he did his work. THANKS, LEVI!!!:D

11. crazyeight

crazyeight Farmall Cub

Looks good Mark and Levi!! Mark, I'm glad you had Levi fill in that empty space between the end cap and B pillar, I know it's your rig but that bugged the heck out of me!! LOL...

12. Mark Brown

Mark Brown Farmall Cub

Mike, anything to make you happy, man!!:D No, that was something I meant to do all along but my skills didn't allow it.

13. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thanks For the kind words Mark. Means alot. I have to thank you again for giving my the chance to work on it!!:beer:

Mike hollar when you get ready to rework the rear of the cage on the SS. I can probably squeeze you in in the next few weeks.

14. Robert JetFxr

Door detail for Mark, here ya go Mark let me know if you need more.

Attached Files:

15. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Supersweet job there Levi. Would love to see you do a full tube chassis.

16. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Thanks D. Would love the chance to build a full tube chassis. Maybe somebody will give me the chance one day.:beer:

17. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

One more back from the dead. :beer: