The best spark plug for the IH engine (304 345 392)

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rebelscout, Jan 28, 2005.

?

The best Spark Plug for the IH engine (304 345 392)

Poll closed Feb 25, 2005.
  1. Champion / Champion Truck

9.8%
  2. NGK / NGK V-power

25.5%
  3. Autolite / Autolite Platinum

23.5%
  4. AC Delco / AC Delco Platium

9.8%
  5. AC Delco Rapidfire

2.0%
  6. Splitfire / Splitfire Platinum

2.0%
  7. Bosch / Bosch Platinum

25.5%
  8. Nipendenso

2.0%
  9. Motorcraft / Motorcraft Platinum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rebelscout

rebelscout Farmall Cub

This is a post in response to Skylers question about spark plugs for IH engines. I decided to include a poll, and a response forum. Ill try to include as many manufacturers as I can think of, from my auto parts sales past.. Hmmmm.

I can tell you everything I own from my lawnmower to rebelscout has NGK plugs in it..

2. WesV

WesV Y-Block King

I like the AC Delco R45S for the IH SVs. Had 303's in my Scout and they just didn't run it as well as the Delcos do. The recomended Delco for the Scout is the R43S, but the 45 runs just slightly hotter and does a better job in my opinion.

3. IH64Scout

IH64Scout Dreams of Cub Cadets

Autolite 303's or 85's are the best bet! every IH i kno of runs the autolite in either form and it runs exellent, and they never foul, break, or fall apart in anyway. always tune good and run smooth. the 85's work great in my scout 80 and the 303's in all my fiend's v-8's, but they are slowly merging to 85's as i told them about the 303-85 swich in '62 and the autopart companies never updating :rolleyes:

4. binderbart

binderbart High Wheeler

I run the ac/delco R45 also, but today, I was at the parts store and I've been reading alot in here about the autolite 85's so I picked a set up, I plan to drop them in the terra this weekend if I get time just to see if I notice a difference, just the way I am, if I hear 10 people talk something up,I have to try it myself and see if its true, I'll let everyone know if I notice a difference.

5. IH64Scout

:p well good luck! ya you know soo many people talk about it it must be good!.....well unless they are talkin about a H2 or a chebby somethin! hahaha :rolleyes:

6. WilliamEHardy

WilliamEHardy Farmall Cub

I JUST tossed a set of Nippondenso plugs in, & really like the way they perform - I changed nothing else (didn't even retime) for a bottom-line comparison & this morning it started & ran better cold than it had (old plugs had 1500 miles on them). Won't know for a while about performance overall, as it's only 4 miles to work & I haven't time for a road test this weekend, but as they were free (dealer promo) we'll see how they last :)

7. rebelscout

rebelscout Farmall Cub

Man guys, i would have thaught there would be more participation in a thread like this, concidering that scout owners are generaly "do it yourselfers" with strong opinions ;) .
    Or maybe its just that Im suffering from "BB thread acceptance syndrome" :rolleyes: :D

8. binderbart

binderbart High Wheeler

its been 3 days since I've put the 85's in, the only difference I've noticed so far is start up is a little better, performance wise I would say the same as the r45's, but I've only driven it in town. I'll wait a while to see before I vote in the poll

9. WilliamEHardy

WilliamEHardy Farmall Cub

Goin' back to my NGK's - thought the beast was feeling a bit poorly, so I pulled the Nippondensos out to check 'em - after just 4 days of home-to-work-to-home, they have accumulated a residue of some sort (appears to be fuel, by the odor) that the NGK's never have, even in the same duty cycle. Free ain't a good price when they don't perform. I rescind my vote!!!!

10. IH64Scout

champions are junk, today at school we had to change the plugs in a v-10 dodge ram. they were champs. and EVERY one we took out snapped in half! :rolleyes: it wouldn't run w/ them as they appeared to have fouled w/ only 700 miles on them. put a set of autolites in them and it fired right up and ran perfect! i never saw a autolite snap under any circumstance! and we weren't even wrenching hard on the champs!

11. Daniel Back

Daniel Back Farmall Cub

champions are useless.....long story..........ac r45's "ARE THE BEST" i run ac's in EVERY thing............its amaving how a plug can make a world of difference isnt it..............auto lites are good to.. ;) :eek: :D :D

12. JWaters

JWaters Binder Driver

I think it would be really interesting to start another poll indicating your SECOND choice of spark plug if the 1st choice could not be located.

13. rebelscout

rebelscout Farmall Cub

Whats your first choice, and why cant they be located :confused: If you have a NAPA near by you can pretty much find any plug you need..

14. 70binderPA

70binderPA Binder Driver

i like to run NGK in carbureted.. they don't seem to carbon as fast as others, i have autolites in my IH with about 15 gallons worth of gas on them, and they already feel weaker than new

15. canaminal

canaminal Farmall Cub

I need to run the coldest plug avail. Used to use a bosch platinum but the pts dealer I have acount with dropped them. Ive got 11 months and 38000 on champ J4C's -industial app. cold heat range for long hard runs. Virtually nobody out torques me on hills+ no detonation at 10 btdc 18mech adv 10.5-1 comp. ratio on propane. 303's were terible for detonation as they are "HOT" plugs."85"s were a little better. I have platinum "cold" NGK's coming can't remember the new pt # but they are the same heat range as the KTM 2 stroke I race. If you baby it you want HOT plugs(gas mileage little better) if you DRIVE it you want cold!!!

If you ping just a little bit but like the responce try 1-2 heat ranges colder and leave the timing alone.