The 2+2

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by kdsmit, Mar 30, 2020.

1. kdsmit

kdsmit Binder Driver

I don't remember what year international started making 2+2's, but they were a new concept for IH and in many ways, like many of their products, ahead of their time. Some will argue this point, but in looking back and comparing the 2+2, to all of the other row crop tractors and knowing that they were a "row crop" tractor, made to go between rows, not a heavy tillage tractor. Things become clearer. The IH engineers, took the back half of an 86 series tractor and put a hinge in front of that then the engine, radiator and fuel tank, all sitting on a powered front axle from the pay-loader division. All of the tires are the same size, giving the tractor excellent traction and with the engine and fuel tank, on the front half of the tractor, it also had excellent weight distribution. They are the kind of tractor you either love or hate. They are different to drive than most other tractors, because you sit BEHIND the articulation, like a pay-loader. Most other articulated tractors have the articulation behind the operator. What's the difference? When you are watching behind you in a 2+2, you have no idea where the front end is, so it is easy to run that long nose into something, like a fence row. But, when looking forward, if the front wheels clear it, the back wheels will also. This makes it a great cultivating tractor, or anything that needs to go down rows and not run over crops. The one i have is the smallest, it's a 3388 with the DT436. They also made a 3588 and a 3788. Both had a DT466, but the 3788 had a different transmission and an intercooler and a couple more turns on the fuel screw.
    A few years later they updated them a little and renumbered them as the 6388, 6588 and 6788. Shortly before the IH demise, they really improved them. They were a far superior tractor, that really filled in most of the short-comings of the older models. They only made 19 of them and if you have one, you have a prize! Here are some pictures of mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. TRAVELETTE

TRAVELETTE Farmall Cub

I've always wanted a 2 plus 2. But never have the cash when a clean one shows up for sale close by. And I don't need a tractor as large is these. My place is over run with stuff that I don't need. So, I'll will have one before I die.

kdsmit likes this.
  3. George Womack

George Womack Y-Block King

Thanks for the information and pictures!

4. kdsmit

kdsmit Binder Driver

No problem!

5. DennyC

DennyC Farmall Cub

Without looking it up, I think the year was 1981. I was working at the IH dealership at the time and still remember when these were introduced at a service school. All the corporate people were pretty excited about it. We sold a few of them, and one of the first went to a "hill farmer" with a lot of steep fields. He came back and said he had never had an easier time putting in his corn. Definitely a unique tractor, and I have a lot of good memories from that time in my life.

kdsmit likes this.
  6. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Thanks for the pics of that sweet beast , Love that money shot from the back !!! All dueled up and ready to pull :1eye:

kdsmit likes this.
  7. kdsmit

kdsmit Binder Driver

I found this, while looking for parts online last night. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    kevingweq likes this.
  8. Eason Lilley

Eason Lilley Farmall Cub

I remember when they came out and drove several at Red Power days. They were a great concept. Too many farmers tried to use them as a mini-Steiger and over loaded them. Some farmers didn't like the looks of them and wouldn't even try them. If you gave them a chance you would fall in love with one. I owned a 7288 S/n 18 for a short time. Sure wish I'd been able to keep that one. The last ones were called the Super 70 series of which 2 versions were made. 7288 of which 19 were made and 1 prototype with a 5288 s/n tag and 7488 of which 16 were made and 1 prototype with a 5488 s/n tag. The 2+2 showed farmers what 4wd or front wheel assist would do and ushered in the surge of front wheel assist tractors in the 1980's.

kdsmit likes this.
  9. kdsmit

kdsmit Binder Driver

I think that that 7288 is up here in MI now (or was for a while). There was one up for auction here several years ago (I think that it was # 17 or 18). My brother and I went to the auction and he (my brother) was ready to sell a kidney, to buy it. The owner of Stamm Equipment ended up buying it. I think it brought between 40 and 50K.