terra low gear set

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by RALPH D. ZIMMERMAN, May 15, 2007.

1. RALPH D. ZIMMERMAN

RALPH D. ZIMMERMAN Farmall Cub

I am running a stock 304 3pd manual with d20 transfer. Just did a SOA and am running 33 in tires with a 3.73 axle gears. It will smoke the clutch in 2 high in just deep sand. Low pulls ok, in the rocks smokes clutch a any hard pull.

Would going with a terra low gear swap in just the transfercase fix this??? Do not want to change axle gear sets yet.

Thanks

2. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

I think the first problem is the 3-speed. In a Scout its a little weak, especially when you start lifting it and putting larger tires on it. It also typically has a smaller clutch than the 4-speeds.

I don't know what the first gear in the 3-speed is off the top of my head, but I would suspect it is higher than a close 4-speed and that might be part of your issue.

Terra gears would help. Lower gear are never a bad thing. Fair amount of money, also will want to make sure that Terra's input bullgear works with the 3-speed (never had a 3-speed, so I don't know)

A 304 with 33's and 3.73's should be a decent combo. Good combo of street and off-road. I like 4.10's, still streatable, but more leaning too off-road. I think the problem is a small clutch. I run a 12" and have abused the crap out of it with no issues (well, other than scattering it once, but that's different)

3. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am going to go with Mark and suggest try some other cheaper options. First would be to install a 4 speed with at the LEAST an 12" clutch. In my mind with your current setup it's only a matter of time before something breaks and leaves you by the side of the trail. At the very least I would say inspect the clutch and make sure it's good.

4. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

On second thought, this may not be a cheaper option. However, I still think it's the right thing to do first.

5. Mike Elrod

Mike Elrod Farmall Cub

Get a T19 wide box and that in itself will give you a sigh of relief. Then see if you need to go lower.

6. RALPH D. ZIMMERMAN

Thanks for the thoughts, the 3 spd is no where as low in first as the 4 spd is thats for shure and the current clutch is/was a new 11 inch HD before River Rock ORV in GA.

I just happen to know where a 4 speed is!!!! Do I need to change the bellhousings? this is my 800.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  7. '71 800B

'71 800B Farmall Cub

Yes you will need to swap out the bell housing, and use the bull gear off of the 3 speed. I did the same swap.

8. RALPH D. ZIMMERMAN

Hay just ran across a 727 auto set up with a d20 will that help any or is the 4 speed still the route to go???

9. 71 Scout 2

71 Scout 2 Binder Driver

Just seems odd, but are you sure you have your clutch adjusted correctly? Or maybe you have some oil on your clutch itself. Even the "small" 11 inch should hold anything you throw at it.

10. binderbound

binderbound High Wheeler

Its easy to smoke clutches. Especially when your already slipping it to compensate for the fast gears. 3 speed has a 1st ratio of 3.33. t-18 close has a 1st ratio of 4. t-19 wide is 6.32or something like that.

Remember that taller axle ratios force more leverage on the drive shafts and gear train. You add more gears ahead of the axles, you increase your chance of twisting off drive shafts.