Tell me about Cub 154 Lo-Boy

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by Mark Ashford, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Mark Ashford

Mark Ashford Moderator.. or something Staff Member Moderator

Case in question, a 1974 model. Found on CL.

No picture in the ad, but google shows a pretty cool looking, yellow tractor. Basically looks like an over-sized lawn tractor.

Search only came up with really one decent thread, from a couple years ago.

Kind of been keeping 1/2 and eye out for one of these since I saw a picture in some other thread a while back... cool looking "small" tractor. This particular one they are asking $2000, WAY to rich for my blood for what will really be a yard tractor/glorified lawn mower that I'll take to and IH show once or twice a year. Maybe for a 1/4 of that I would be swayed.

But for education purposes, tell me about them. Seem pretty underpowered for a 4-cyle (14HP or so). Some I see have 3-points, some don't, is this common?

Be nice to have one with a box blade behind it and maybe a mower underneath (not that I need it for my small parcels, but it would be cool). Hang a cherry picker off the back for moving engine and axles around the yard :D

something like this would be bad ***. Love the low profile and long hood :thumbs up:
    [​IMG]

2. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Farmall Cub

Nice looking tractor.
    Cubs are easy to get most parts for.
    I don't like dirrecting people from here, but the best place for cub information is FARMALLCUB.COM.
    Like here, super group of people.

3. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mark I don't know anything about them but I thought you might enjoy this advertisement I scanned from a old National Geographic.
    [​IMG]

4. Brad Anderson

Brad Anderson Farmall Cub

The 154 Cub Lo-boys were built from 68 to 74, with a total of 29,171 being made. They were produced at Louisville Works.

The 154 used a C-60 motor like the Farmall Cub, but were modified to produce 15 HP.

They look much like an oversized Cub Cadet and were offered with either a fixed draw bar, or, if it came with the optional hydraulic lift, a 3 point hitch.

Three different decal/stripping variations, as well as some minor modifications of the grill screen were used during it's 6 year run. The later 154's sported a black seat instead of a white one like the CC122, and others.

It could be purchased with various IH implements, but after market implements were also available. (woods, etc)

They are neat little tractors and would sure cut down on my mowing time around the place, but, I think I'll hold out for one of those Red 18HP 184 Low-boys with a 60" deck. (I can always dream, can't I?)

Brad

5. Mark Ashford

Thanks Brad, nice summation.

Further research showed the 154, 184 etc. How many variations were there? Other than HP, and color, what are the differences between the 154, 184 etc?

more HP is always good, and the red ones are a little cooler looking in a sea of Yellow Cubs...... :D

6. jeff rotella

jeff rotella Binder Driver

The 154's were great little tractors. When I was a kid my family owned a golf course (my brother still does ) We had two 154 cub loboys. We ran them pretty hard and they held up well. We also had three Farmall Cubs before that that which worked well but the 154s were a lot better for mowing and yard work. Iirc the 154 had 2 more HP than the cub ,but it seemed like twenty with a 60" mower deck. There was also a 185 model that replaced the 154 that was also yellow. I am not sure what was different. After that was the 184 .Not sure why the model numbers were that way.
    Another cool tractor was the 284. They looked like the 185 but a little larger. The big deal was 4x4 and an available Nissan Diesel. A Mazda gas was standard. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/3/1/317-international-harvester-284.html
    Some 154's did come with a 3 point hitch.The capacity was rather limited. I doubt if you could do much lifting with it.
    They came with an independent rear PTO but they were reverse rotation and I think the rpm was faster. The pto is also not in the same location as a standard 3 point hitch.
    They are very cool tractors an some day I may have one again. I like the yellow ones best because they look like a Cub Cadet on steroids. As soon as I was old enough to reach the steering wheel I have loved Cub Cadets.

Attached Files:

• cub.jpg
      cub.jpg
      File size:
      348.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Brad Anderson

The numbering system used for the numbered, Cub Lo-Boy line has always confused me. (not that it's hard to do):cornfused:

They started with the 154, (68-74) then moved to the 185, (74-76) and then, for no apparent reason (to me anyway) stepped back a number, with the last version becoming the 184. (76-79)

The 154's and 185's all used a starter/generator like the Cub Cadets while all but the first 184's, used a Bendex drive starter with a ringed flywheel. Early 3 points were of the Category - 0 type, while the later ones (184) had a Category -1 rating. The PTO on the 154 was belt driven, but on later versions, was actuated by an electric clutch, much like that found on the CC1650 and thus, was a more true IPTO.

Horse power was increased as each model came out.
    154 = 15hp. 185 = 18hp. 184 = 19hp.
    All used the water cooled C-60 motor.
    There were subtle changes to make the various horse powers but, the basic difference was in the rated RPM, along with a new Zenith updraft Carburetor for the 185 and 184.

Color's changed too --- both the 154 and 185 were painted IH 483 Yellow, while the 184 (styled to loosely resemble the IH 86 series) was painted IH 2150 Red.

The 184 was the best, by most owner's standards, as it had the most refinements. It's probably the most collectable of the three versions made.

But, I like em all!:thumbs up:

Brad

8. Brad Anderson

Jeff;
    Your right on.:yes:

I've got an International Cub with the 15 hp motor.
    What a difference that little bit of extra power makes!

Brad

9. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Mark,

FWIW, I recently priced a 60" mower deck for my Farmall Cub.

You would be getting that tractor $500.00 cheaper than the mower deck is worth if it is in good shape.

:eek:

-John

10. Mark Ashford

ya, thats the sad part.

Problem is I have enough projects and $2K for something I don't NEED (really, at all) can be MUCH better put toward rebuilding the racer, building a new trail truck, fixing the cab on the 1510, makeing the KB run again, putting the 1310 together to tow with to BinderBee, building a shop to work on it all, paying the bills...... you know the drill :D

11. Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL Farmall Cub

I don't know this as 100% fact but the 185 was probably renumbered to 184 to match all the rest of the 84 & 86 series in 1976; 4 cyl, tractors were X84, 6 cyl. tractors were XX86. Odd thing was the 3388, 3588, & 3788 released in '79, Still DT-436 & DT-466 powered but were 88-series like the new restyled tractors released in '81, 5088, 5288, & 5488. The 30, 32, 34, & 3688's were basically revamped 86-series, 786,886,H186, & 986 respectively.

Dad had a 154 He mowed with a couple years, sold it about 2-1/2 yrs ago. It sold well under what they normally go for but it looked REALLY rough. He'd just spent over $400 to rebuilt the LPTO clutch to run the mower. From what I've heard from others that have had them that's about typical. Most of the drivetrain is the same as a gear drive Cub Cadet, except the 154 has the reduction housings at the ends of the axles. The transmission gears & shafts run engine speed instead of 515 RPM like a CC so they are really understressed. The 154 is a little under-powered and lighter weight than today's crop of compact utility tractors, but then they don't cost $20,000 either.

12. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

2K into your KB would put you way out in front of me.

:D

-John

13. Mark Ashford

That mean we are going to have a race to see who drive's there respective old iron to BB first! :D

and you have a head start, your only what, 6 miles, I'm 300+.

and towing it behind the tractor don't count! :tt2::ihtractor:

14. Brad Anderson

Now that's the most plausible explanation I've seen. Thanks!

BTW Dr. Evil; I've certainly enjoyed your reminisces on the "pinned" topic of the Red Power Mag forum. :thumbs up: ( I'm not a member there, but do visit)

Brad

15. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Mark,
    I have a '63 Cub Lo-Boy (offset tractor) that I got last year for $300. That was a complete miracle because it runs and cuts grass. Unless another miracle happens, you're going to have a hard time finding a 154 for $500. I would love a 154 myself, but around these parts, they average about $1200-$1500 for a running tractor that might need some TLC.

16. Mark Ashford

Good score.

Ya, I'm pretty sure on that. But with as many irons as I have in the fire, and as (moderately) tight as the "disposable income" is.... while I'll look and dream, unless that "haul it out of my yard deal" comes by, I can ONLY looks and dream :sad:

17. Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL Farmall Cub

BRAD - You should get a log-in and join the fun there. I've met quite a few of the regular posters there....just like here, Great bunch of people.

Glad You liked My posts about "The Good Old Days at FARMALL". Sure wish I was still working there building FARMALL's!

18. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Hey Mark,
    Mine was definitely a "get it out of my yard" deal. I work with the guy as well. He found out I was a IH nut and gave me a deal. He had purchased a zero turn machine to mow with and just wanted the Cub gone. It's not perfect, but still a neat little machine.

19. BERMUDA KEN

BERMUDA KEN Farmall Cub

The mower deck in the photo is a WOODS 42 inch cut. This is considered a "rough cut" mower, not a true finish mower. It will do an OK job cutting grass, but the 3 bladed model 59 mower will do a better job.

All of the CUB tractors seem underpowered for grass cutting, but a good set of SHARP mower blades can make a world of difference in how they cut and the power they need to work.