"Tech" Presentation for Nov.1 Meeting

Discussion in 'IH Scouts & Trucks of Oregon' started by M. Mayben, Oct 11, 2007.

1. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Many of ya met (and jaw'd) with that hitchhiker I drug up from Glenwood at the October meeting...Dave Wimsett. And Linda and Lyle gotta ride on Dave's wayback machine as they re-lived their days as Oregon City HS classmates!

Dave began his wrenchin' career with Barrett's IH in Albany while sukkin' in a degree in Mechanical Engineering at OSU, and was deeply involved with the IH "factory branch" in Portland for several years. And he spent MANY hours in Bisio Motors working on "tech" issues with Ernie and Ron in his role as a dude from the factory.

Dave was heavily involved in professional motor sports for years, primarily involving Indy cars, Nascar/roundyround stuff, and offshore powerboat motorbuildin'. And...there is a Rambleall connection there as Dave was instrumental in the procurement and restoration of the American Motors Indy car vehicles/engines from the "stock block" era of the 60's and 70's.

Dave currently does bizz as Dave Wimsett Automotive (aka..."Dave the Gear Man") specializing in axle and tranny building and has a DEEP inventory of new and used Dana/Spicer axle components, gears, etc. Much of that stock involves IH application stuff collected over many years. And...he does STILL have an IH connection since he keeps a 4x4 "C" model peekup at his place in Messkiko.

Dave is gonna make a one hour presentation at the November meeting on the topic of "Engine Balance" as it relates to IH applications. Included will be a description of "how" the motors were balanced during hot test at the factory, and also how maintaining engine balance was delt with regarding engines rebuilt in bulk at the factory branches. And some ways of dealing with engine balance issues when attempting to mix and match flywheels, flex plates, crank pulleys/harmonic balancers when using donor/boneyard parts today.

And...if y'all think I JAW mucho...wait 'til ya ask Dave a question!!! He WILL take ya to skool!

Dave lives about two miles upriver from me so needless to say, he's become the numero uno tool in my box recently! He even overhauled the K-Jetronic F.I. system on Ken Linder's 924 P-car on the ride south from the club meeting last week, all done in the front seat of the 'Rango at 70mph!

If ya ain't at the November meeting you will miss out onna major slice of IH "factory" guapo!

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Sounds like quite an occasion. Sure would be nice to have a video camera or at least an audio recording device rolling for posterior while the man was layin' it down. Anyone?...Buehler...Buehler

3. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

Guud point dude!

I'll see if Dave'll sign off on "copyright" and won't kill us on talent. Afterall...he's a biznisman trained in the NASCAR era of dealing with "promoters" and sponsors.

I ain't all that tek-savvy about shootin' video, my skills end witha tripod-mounted Sony Hi-8 which I'm strugglin' to convert MILES of tape to digi-stuff for DVD burn through a blackbox. But I bet Greg Foster can make sumthin' happen'??!!

Sounds like a great idea to put up on the IHSTO website too. Chris...ya lurkin' out there??

4. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

Damn, I picked the wrong time to visit Portland, sounds like quite a meet..

5. Jim Grammer

Jim Grammer Editor at large Staff Member Moderator

If a video(or other documentation) becomes available and Dave is interested/willing, I will sign up to write a knowledge base article on this subject(in English ;) ).

6. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I am more than willing to make the recording on DVD's. I have the technology.

-John

7. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

OK John...yore the designated driver for the video production deal. I'm bettin' Dave's got no problema with this...if he does, we'll jes' blur his face and alter his voice.

I'll verify with him when we hook for our next jawjackin'.

But then...remember the LAST TIME a "club member" offered to HELP the club with VIDEOGRAPHY?????

8. John Donnelly

ummm.. yeah.

I doubt very much that comparing us two would be any sort of comparison.

-John

9. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

'Jes checkin' the memory hole...looks like BOTH of our's is workin' today.

10. John Donnelly

Well, the video camera is charged up, the tripod located and all associated parts corralled.

I will be there to record the event, and then I will transfer the recording to a DVD master. I will burn DVD's on request only, and ask that a donation to IHSTO be made to the club treasurer.

I would prefer a list of people be provided to me by the club officer cadre before the end of November.

I will also be discussing hosting a copy of the event here on the BB so our IH friends from around the globe can access this information.

No, I will not put it on youtube, so don't ask. :D

-John

11. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

OK kidz...Skip is snaked, Mr.ScoutMike is visited, Harbor Freight is STILL the happenin' place in Eujoisey, and our bellies are full!

And...Skip got a first hand intro to Davebubba at his shop and immediately they started jawwin' Porsche guapo, at least they wernt talkin' in furrin' tongues though.

Dave is OK for the video shoot John, sez he might even put onna clean T-shirt for the occasion.

So...if anyone misses out on THIS meeting...then ya ain't a real Binderbubba!

12. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This Is Tonight....don't Miss Out!!!

13. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

I wish I could, but I'll still be wage slaving here in Mexiford while you guys are gittin' all that gude edjumuhkashun. Carl and/or John, please put me down for one of those shiny, circular, digital media storage devices that seem to be all the rage these days. Thank you. A donation will be forthcoming.

14. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Being the treasurer of this group, if you would like a DVD of tonight's presentation, PM or Email me and I will compile the list.

Trever, you are on the list.

Lyle

15. M. Mayben

M. Mayben High Wheeler

I can't wait to see the plastic archive! Put us down also Lyle! A big ol' THANKS to John for handlin' this deetale!

Man I wish we coulda got Ernie and Dave on digits chewin' fat over old times!!!! They NEITHER one ever shut up!!! And BOTH were glowing all night after the meeting!

The Ernie/Dave hookup was WELL WORTH the price of admission! And Ernie thought I was jes' BS'n him a few months back when I told him I had an old friend of his lined up for a meet and greet! I hope Jim or someone got pics of the ErnieDave show together!

Maybe we can distribute "autographed" copies once the "talent" signs off onna release?

And it was really kool to have NEW FOLKS at the show also...Ernie is really beatin' the bushes for us, I think that new couple with the oilburner SII was inna daze with all the IH-related guapo goin' around!

16. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mike,

Next time you run into Dave, please tell him again, THANK YOU for the presentation, it was great to listen too. And on top of that he had hand outs!!!

Carl

17. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Mike,

You are on the list.

The new couple was totally surprised with what they walked into. They had no idea what to expect. She even suggested they leave after they pulled in the parking lot, but thought otherwise when she saw you and Carl and others over by the rigs. Once they made their way over to where you were, you extended them a genuine welcome and everything was better. To have Carl there with his oil burner, the same color as theirs, was a big plus. I'm positive we will see them again. Thanks for being such a great ambassador.

They asked me where the largest IH club was. I told them they were sitting in it.

Lyle

18. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

Please add me to the list for the DVD.

Thanks!

19. Lyle Wiese

Lyle Wiese High Wheeler

Sure thing, Jeff. You are on the list.

Lyle

20. Lava

Lava High Wheeler

Man, your guy's club has really surpassed itself on this.
    I've been a regular reader of the newsletter, and have found the tech and writing in it and in this forum is superior, sometimes on par with a professional publication.
    The how and why of things.
    Please add me to the list for the dvd.
    Let me know if I can send a PPE:)
    (or a few)
    Thank you,
    Charlie
    chasam8@yahoo.com