TBI install progress

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by JayKray, Aug 11, 2016.

1. JayKray

JayKray Farmall Cub

With the jumper unplugged, I'm currently set at 6 degrees atdc. I was under the impression that that would shift the timing table by 6 degrees retarded.
    Yes, with that setting, I am still pinging.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What's the name on this chip?

3. JayKray

JayKray Farmall Cub

Jay Krajewski

4. JayKray

JayKray Farmall Cub

OK, so the beginning of the week got away from me. i just got a few minutes in the shop and did compression on 4 of the easier to get to cylinders.
    Results:
    #2 = 160psi
    #3 = 160psi
    #4= 160psi
    #5= 165psi

winchested likes this.
  5. JayKray

JayKray Farmall Cub

OK, so I think those are pretty healthy compression numbers from what I've seen posted on the forum.
    For what it's worth, I do not get pinging when the engine is cold, but after it warms up, anything past 3/4 throttle results in knock, worsened by any up hill grade. Under 3/4 throttle the Scout runs wonderfully and sounds great.
    At this point, I'm leaning towards new injectors as Bill suspected early on. My thinking is that my old crusty injectors just aren't providing the required fuel deep into the throttle. They may not be providing the expected fuel anywhere in the throttle which is why Bill had to compensate more than he expected to for this engine.
    Does anyone have opinions on the best supplier for injectors?

6. JayKray

JayKray Farmall Cub

OK, here's some more data in case anyone else can help me. i set the initial timing back to zero and have been driving it like that. If I drive normal and conservatively, it runs great, no issues.
    However, it is still knocking a lot at mid plus travel in the throttle under load. Especially bad when hitting the throttle quickly.
    I just logged a drive, using the throttle like a teenager and the data shows what my ear is telling me. I don't really understand why it doesn't happen during the first minute or so of driving even when the coolant temperature is over 165deg, but maybe 170 degrees is the magic number for when aggressive spark advance starts to kick in? I should probably know the answer to that, but I don't remember at the moment. In any case, it accelerates very well, and quietly before whatever happens at the 120 second mark, or whatever the time units are in the log. Could this be a bad EST or ignition module? I'm hesitant to buy new injectors at the moment since I am not seeing any very lean BLM numbers over 133. I also think it's a little strange that there seems to be a bunch of missing data under the MAP 40 column. Could the MAP sensor be bad?

Attached Files:

7. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'll look when I get a chance.
    Trying to get ready for RMIHR.

8. JayKray

JayKray Farmall Cub

Thanks Bill. I figured that's what you were up to.