Tailgate rubber bumper?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by jtorre4272, Oct 12, 2017.

1. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

ok new question.

What went in the hole just below tailgate hinge bolts? I'm thinking some sort of rubber bumper to keep hinges from rattling and away from sheet metal

IMG_0537.JPG

Edit. One more question. Does anything go in this hole at tailgate lower area?
    IMG_0538.JPG

2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I'm pretty sure the slot on the tailgate remains open. Your zinc coated finishing is spectacular. Very nice.

3. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

+1 more!! Very very nice! :thumbs up:

Ours are both open and not really sure what the purpose of either one is! Curious now!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

yeah, id love to know the purpose of the small hole up top. I would have thought it was for some type of rubber piece. WOuld love for someone to offer some insight.

Thanks for the kind words. Believe it or not, it really isnt hard to have this stuff replated. Not too expensive either. Just find a replating shop in your area. They exist. Its the little stuff that makes the difference. I cant believe body shops go so far as to even paint these items. yuck.

Regarding those hinges, it seems difficult to prevent them from touching the quarter panels in places. Thats why the tape is there temporarily. Otherwise it would have left marks. All the correct hardware is in place to fasten them to the body too. I guess with IH, this type of stuff wasnt that big of a deal? Has anyone figured out a better way to prevent the hinges from damaging the paint?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Mine don't touch the body at all. There is proper order of the washers and spacers to ensure it works right. You have the spacer on?

6. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

Yes, the spacer (washer), then the bracket, then the belleville style washer, then the bolt.
    I think maybe the riveted pins connecting the two halves together are a little worn out and have more play than is ideal. It's the large head on that rivet that seems to be making contact with the quarter.

7. RinTX

RinTX Binder Driver

I added an inner washer top and bottom on mine. You want a thin one. With a hole that will slide onto the shoulder of the bolt. Well greased too. (Maybe there was always supposed to be one and they were missing from mine?)
    There already aren’t a lot of threads on those bolts.

8. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

Yes, there were supposed to be washers under the bracket, between the quarter and that bracket. It gave just enough gap to prevent interference with the lower tailgate lip. But only about 1/16"! The washers werent super thick...maybe a small percentage larger than a typical washer thickness. There were 4 total.

9. BigRigg

BigRigg High Wheeler

If I remember right there is a little spring dohickey that wraps around the tailgate arm, and sticks in that upper hole. It keeps the arm stable, and from flopping around. I'll see if I can find mine this weekend...

Sammy likes this.
  10. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

This ^^^. I still have mine on there or I did last time I looked.

11. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

OK. Great. Maybe you guys can take some pictures? I am definitely interested in duplicating the original setup and trying to find an aftermarket spring that may work.

12. cthen1

cthen1 Farmall Cub

Google Scout II tail gate spring. IH Parts America has them NOS.

13. cthen1

cthen1 Farmall Cub

I take that back. They are out of stock. In all honesty I think only early SII's (72-74) had them anyway. Our '77 never had them.

14. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

15. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

I did find a picture of one installed in the manual – CTS-2561 page 11 in Bodies and Cab.

[​IMG]

I don’t know how that spring could fit behind the hinge without scratching the paint!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM
  16. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

I agree. I don't know how there is any room behind there either. So apparently this spring was deleted on later scouts? Maybe because it did indeed damage the paint?

17. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Y-Block King

18. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 Binder Driver

Patrick, I know my setup was not molested when I got my scout. The arrangement was the shoulder bolt then the Belleville (cone to some of you) washer then the hinge then a modestly thick washer then into the body tub. I know because the thick spacer washer was mildly deformed into a sort of cone after assy. The shoulder bolt smooth part was what the hinge pivoted against. In the picture in your link I see two spacer washers. I don't know if that was right.

I'm also curious if those pivot springs were confirmed to be deleted at some point. They do serve a nice purpose. I can see how the hinges could swing the wrong way when the tailgate is closed. Happened to me already.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM
  19. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Y-Block King

My '78 did not have them when I bought it in 1991. And it had the original tailgate on it then. Honestly though. I've never, ever had a problem closing my TG. Its arms have never once gone the "wrong way". Gravity might be the weakest of natural forces, but it's not failed me here. :)

20. stroker3

stroker3 High Wheeler

I know this doesn't mean much in the world of IH and it's just anecdotal information but with the three Scouts we had , two 79's and one 1980, none had the spring. I went through the tail gate numorous times a day loading things and never had any issue with the hinges going the wrong way though I guess if you bumped them it could happen. These were work scouts so I didn't make a big deal about scratched paint so can't say for sure if the hinges rubbed the body a little but we really didn't notice anything either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 7:31 PM