T98 teardown and rebuild

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by superfishyall, Sep 19, 2019.

1. superfishyall

superfishyall Farmall Cub

2019-09-15 15.34.30.jpg 2019-09-17 20.38.46.jpg 2019-09-19 20.49.35.jpg Thanks to holyrider and TheCrazyFarmer I have a T98 in my garage. I plan to tear it down and rebuild it over the winter and will document it here. Transmissions are a mystery to me, but this only cost $25 so its OK if I screw it up or can't get it back together. Hopefully the process will help me figure out how these things work a little better. It reportedly popped out of third gear under load nearly every time. I don't know if it's related, but I noticed that the input shaft/main drive gear has a lot of play in it compared to the transmission in my own truck.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    TheCrazyFarmer and Gunfighter97 like this.
  2. superfishyall

2019-09-19 20.58.51.jpg 2019-09-19 21.00.26.jpg 2019-09-19 21.00.32.jpg I'm following the disassembly instruction from the manual. It says to note that the reverse shifting fork upper end engages the shifter rail at the flat portion of the rail. I tried to do so when I removed the top, but not sure exactly what it means. I'm sure that will be a problem on reassembly.

3. superfishyall

The gears look pretty good to me, except for the largest one (low gear?), where all the teeth are rounded on one side. 2019-09-19 21.00.42.jpg 2019-09-19 21.06.47.jpg

4. superfishyall

To remove the reverse shifting arm, you have to slide the large gear to the front. That gave me clearance for the arm, but I'm not sure how to remove it. Do you force it off the pin it is attached to on the case? 2019-09-19 21.15.44.jpg 2019-09-19 21.16.24.jpg 2019-09-19 21.18.38.jpg

TheCrazyFarmer likes this.
  5. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer Farmall Cub

I'm excited to see how this goes!:cowboy:

superfishyall likes this.
  6. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Farmall Cub

I bought one of those about a month ago to replace the crash box T-9 in my 56. I cleaned it up just like you did and then opened it up and everything looked good, oil clean, gears in great shape and all the gears index well with the shifter so this winter mine will be going in the truck when it's off the road again as is. They have a reputation of being un-breakable and I'm going to gamble that mine is alright.
    I will be following your build closely, as i find it interesting. I'm a novice when it comes to transmissions also but the experts say this is an easy one to work on. I have always done OK by taking my time, making a lot of notes and laying part out on the bench in the order in which they came out. I know the pro's do it blindfolded but that has got me through some transmission and T-case rebuilds. Another helpful tip for you is the T-98 is easily adapted to an engine stand and that makes them comfortable to work on and easy to roll around the work shop, my ''98'' is sitting on one right now.

7. Greg R

Greg R Dreams of Cub Cadets

Look on the side of the case where the boss is for reverse shifting arm pin or shaft goes. There may be a tapered pin in the boss to retain the shaft. It is driven out front to rear. In fact, most things such as the counter shaft is removed front to rear. It's pretty small so some cleaning might let you see but also the hardened oil can plug the hole. I do know the T18 has this but I am sketchy on the T98.

Your rounded teeth on 1st gear are not worn, but chamfered. There is some wear, maybe a chip or two but it looks good overall.

8. superfishyall

Greg was correct that there was a pin retaining the reverse shifter arm shaft. Tapping the pin out allows the shaft to be pushed out of the housing from the inside, leaving the reverse shifter arm loose.
    2019-09-21 19.49.58.jpg 2019-09-21 19.54.54.jpg 2019-09-21 19.58.04.jpg

9. superfishyall

I also removed the main drive gear bearing 2019-09-21 20.01.32.jpg 2019-09-21 20.03.43.jpg 2019-09-21 20.03.52.jpg 2019-09-21 20.27.54.jpg retainer and put it back in neutral. To make further progress I need to get snap ring pliers for the front and a really large, thin-walled socket for the back.

10. superfishyall

It turns out it popped out of gear under compression in third gear, not under load. Is that a symptom of something in particular? The snap ring on the front doesn't have holes and most snap ring pliers seem to be designed for rings with holes. I think it is going to be a bear to get off.

11. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Farmall Cub

Just get under the end of it with a small screw driver lift it up and out a bit then just peel it off.

12. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

There is a tool made for that style snap ring,but you can usually get it with 2 screw drivers

13. superfishyall

You guys overestimate my coordination and strength! I've had it this far a couple times, but then it slips and the screwdrivers slide out and it's back to square one. I left it like this for now because I'm tired of fussing with it today.
    2019-09-22 17.59.34.jpg

14. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Now take a small pocket screw driver and put it between the snap ring and the shaft to keep it from going back into the groove.

15. Greg R

NOOOOOOOO! Get the right tool, E-ring pliers such as a Snap-On 70-A. They're tough bastards even with the right tool. You have about 4 or 5 more of them and you will end up cursing yourself, hating the transmission, ruining the ring and/or groove, and regretting why you even started this job. Get the right tool.

MrKenmore and superfishyall like this.
  16. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

And wear safety glasses when doing this kind of task, as parts like that can always break and throw pieces off.
    Once you have the proper tool, you likely will find many more proper occasions to use it, like when the furnace motor needs servicing and uses a similar ring. In the long run, the right tools can be invaluable.

Gringo Gomez and superfishyall like this.
  17. superfishyall

Thanks guys. Yes, I have been wearing goggles. I should probably move my car out the garage too to avoid it getting chipped when this goes flying. Regarding tools, I completely agree, but on the other hand, I don't need a rebuilt T98 and am doing this for fun, so I don't want to buy too many tools. I do think I will buy snap ring pliers, but I am going to try to borrow a seal puller and arbor press.

18. Greg R

You can always check eBay or pawn shops. I scored a couple of years ago when some shops closed or someone retired, but the point is with some looking you can afford one if patient. The next big step is a LONG reach puller for the input bearing. Don't be that someone that someone else had to re-do the work ;)

Then again, my shop is about 2 hours south of Portland.

19. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

This one (here) looks reasonable, if nobody else thinks it's made of pure tungsten, gold or kryptonite and bids accordingly. Just have to wait a week to find out, and waiting can be harder than paying more now.

20. superfishyall

Thanks for the tip on those pliers. They are on the way to my house.