T-ette Poll ~ Low or High

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Nov 3, 2007.

?

Should the Travelette be lifted or lowered

1. Lifted

49.0%
  2. Lowered

51.0%
  1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

Wow ~ there are currently 24 votes ~ 12 for lifted, 12 for lowered. I honestly didn't expect that ~ hum...

2. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lifted has been done and done to death I might add. Put it in the weeds, you know you want to!!!!!

3. Damian Grihalva

I haven't seen a t-ette w/ 24" rims, 37s, and a coil-over shock suspension. But I do have a desire to put it 'in the weeds' as well.

4. willy

willy Binder Driver

50%-50% huh
    Just raise one end, and lower the other...

5. MyScout800

MyScout800 Binder Driver

I voted "Lifted" but have since rethought the issues and would suggest Lowered now.

Normally I dislike lowered vehicles, but here is a chance to see a different side of the IH spectrum. We have all seen the lowered scouts but no Travelletes! I concur with the previous post who said Lets see something outside the box here. We know it can be lifted and look good. Well, now lets see it lowered and show up the Big Three.

6. Ki Areese

Ki Areese Binder Driver

I got a question for all the lowered folk.. It might be because I'm green at this stuff, but how exactly is lowering a truck "extreme?" I mean, it doesn't seem like it takes that much skill or ingenuity to lower a vehicle, and it can only go so low..

I have to say tho, which ever is route taken, I'm sure the craftsmanship behind it will be awesome.

7. MyScout800

MyScout800 Binder Driver

One could argue that D&C Extreme would then be willing to work on IHs at all levels, from one extreme to the other (Lifted or Lowered). It doesnt necessarily mean they have to lower it to an extreme, but that on a scale they are working from one end to the other. :punk:

Then again since my scout is at stock hieght, either lifting it or lowering it would be extreme to me! :clap:

8. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

I think the skill required to lower a truck PROPERLY is the same as raising it. You still have to overcome the mfg. design and create something out of thin air.
    I voted for lowered. I think 4wd with those tires your thinking of using will leave you disapointed for performance. The whole reason the dually tow rigs are using tractor tires is for the awesome milage you get on a set of virgin tires. Your tire wear will be at least 10 times longer than with regular truck tires. They will dry rot off the truck before you kill then unless you enter a burnout contest.
    I vote for a c-sectioned rear with bags and onboard air to help raise the truck for speed bumps ect. The front I would coil and bag as well. I am sure you know what you want and how you want to do it. Lets face it, there are very few custom lowered IH anything out there.
    Tap into something that is different and undone. That seems to be what you do Damian.
    I vote for a roll pan, frenched rear lights, shaved everything else but the emblems. Door poppers and maybe even a rag roof cutout for nice days(we get a lot of them here in Colorado) The weight of the rig will help secure your load. If snow really worries you, in heavy snow you should not be towing anyway. We all know you will be out in a Scout in the snow for fun factor.
    SO congrats for stiring up the pot, I think we all know you planed on lowering it in the first place. (IMO) So lets see the build.
    My next idea is for you to arrange how-to-paint a scout with a color other than black classes for Gary!:hammer:

9. Jensers

Jensers Farmall Cub

damian - Check this out:

[​IMG]

I rest my case.

10. Damian Grihalva

:eek::kiss::gunsmilie: :sorcerer: :rockon: :beer: :punk: :tt1: :cool: :yes: That is exactly what I'd be going for if I decided to lower the thing. Very nice picture there Jens.

Indeed. I remember Louis's t-all when he put some airbags on it and needed to notch the frame to fit the axle tubes!

Tractor tires? Are you talking about the tires in the lifted picture? Those are Maxxis tires.. If its going to be lowered, I'd go with a performance tire to match the loweredness if that makes sense.:)wacko: )

There are few lowered IH's. IHONorth has Louis's T-all that they're rebuilding and that should be awesome ~ I don't remember which shop did the airbags, but it was some gansta-shop in the LA area. Can't wait to see that one finished. I think going to 20' rims and then some custom-cut fenders (keeping the lip but opening it up) would be awesome. That chevy Jens posted is a prime example of what I'd like to turn out like if I go low.

I guess so... But tapping something undone opens up a can of worms undiscovered ~ if not two :hang:

All great ideas, a little too much body work for me ~ I'd have to farm all that out ($$$)

Stir I did! Actually I planned on dually axles, Coil-over shocks up front w/ links and custom leafs in the back to keep it tow-able. 19.5" Semi Alcoas and some 37s or equivalent. When I saw the lifted truck above (in original post) that was about my plan. Except for SHINY IH Red paint, with matching Utility bed in back ~ and a full on custom interior. I still need to secure the rig ~ its a 2WD so lowering would be more logical.

Hehe ~ good point.

Getting the frame to rest on the ground takes quite a bit. Not that I'd go quite that low, but still, there's about the same amount of fab work that goes into lowering a rig properly, and there is lifting a rig. It just goes to the 'how crazy do you want it'.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'd certainly hope so. ;)

11. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

I was saying that going 4x4 with tractor tires would be disapointing.:wacko:

12. Carl Wiese

Well, like most things, doing it right is the extreme part. Lifting a truck isn't extreme either, if you just bolt in lift blocks, but it isn't done right.

Doing it right means notching the frame, adding a linked rear suspension and reworking all the suspension so it still works and drive properly. Sure it looks easy, but to do it right, maintaining a truck that is driveable and still can carry. Well, it's pretty extreme.

13. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Slam it.

Dually's are cool when the are slammed.

Leaf springs on all 4 corners make this a pretty straight-forward job, and if you use a drop-axle (Bell and others) and block the rear the right way, it will carry a load just fine, and drive nicely.

Oh... please avoid the mongo-diameter wheels.

DONK sucks.

-John

14. Damian Grihalva

I can't afford the super big wheels, but I do want to run 18-20s.

15. John Donnelly

John Donnelly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I don't know why, but 20's on dually's look :rainbow: to me.

-John

16. Jensers

Jensers Farmall Cub

That truck is part of a matched set with a suburban. I was using it as inspiration for what I was going to do with the T-All I had. I was ready to rock on it until I finally realized the work that is involved in putting together a t-all at all - let alone trying to turn it into something of that caliber.

[​IMG]

It was too much truck for me and my time, money, and skill. So I am going to to the 80 hot rod instead. something that I am more familiar with and also a lot easier because there is so much less truck, it is lighter, narrower for the IFS, it will just be a roadster so no top to worry about, only 2 doors, etc...

Should be a fun project - it is on hold for right after I finally get all the little things done on the current project.

17. Damian Grihalva

That's pretty much what I'm going for ~ except with a Scout Krawler on the back.:punk:

18. Carl Wiese

Ooof!

;);)

19. reddevil1111

reddevil1111 Farmall Cub

Drool drool...that s%$t is TIGGGGGHT! like grandmas undies....tough!:punk:

20. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

You can't say that a Travelette sittin down like that chevy wouldn't be pimp.:punk: :gunsmilie:

*voice of the little devil on your shoulder* Do it Damian. Do it.