T-ette Poll ~ Low or High

Discussion in 'D and C Extreme' started by Damian Grihalva, Nov 3, 2007.

?

Should the Travelette be lifted or lowered

1. Lifted

49.0%
  2. Lowered

51.0%
  1. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

While at the SEMA show, I was faced with both raised and lowered BIG trucks. It seems that the big-wheel conversion (semi size rims) may be a reality ~ and for a mere $3k in wheels, tires and adapters why shouldn't it? :wacko: ~ but really what size should I go with, High or Low.

The rig will be on a 69-75 1300 Travelette converted to a dually.

EDIT: Remember this will be used as a shop truck and tow rig ~ if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Ki Areese

Ki Areese Binder Driver

Lifted.. IMHO trucks weren't meant to be low riders

3. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree with you I think there should be laws against it.

4. Jeff Melber

Jeff Melber Binder Driver

You're preachin' to the choir. I think you should require a permit to lower a truck. That way the rest of us can decide if there's enough raised truck around that the population could withstand another lowered one. You know like a quota to be kept. Heck we could even sell permits to gain money to put towards a project lifted truck.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me I like to see ANY custom work that means there's more people out there doing it and supporting the custom crowd. And by custom I mean sticking your blood, sweat, and tears into something that you can't hardly get parts for anymore. Or something that 90% of the people can't even identify and of the 10% that can half of them make it a point to come up and ask you about (got two lookers at the gas station last night - wanting to know if it's for sale).

Those big rig wheels got to make those trucks ride like a skateboard.

I know whatever you do it'll be COOL!!

Good Luck,
    Jeff

5. Tonka Toy

Tonka Toy Binder Driver

I'm going to vote for lowered. Often people see IH guys/groups as "Scout clubs" or "4wd clubs", and the fact is that IH made lots of 2wd stuff. A tastefully lowered vehicle is not an eyesore, and I'm not suggesting you make a frame dragger out of it (though that's up to you). I just think that since there is a big market in the lowering crowd that you oughtta think about it. Besides, every IH you have seems to be lifted, why not venture outside the box? :cool2::rockon:

6. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

lifted! if i'm gonna lower anything it's gonna be something that's already built to corner and i want to take it step further. for me, the whole concept of lowering trucks is a fashion statement. lift it, bring it to nats, lower it, take it to horeywood and park it in front of the pretty boy bars with the old broncos that never go off road. gosh, i'm purty opinionated ain't i?!!:nono:

7. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Is it a 2wd or 4wd? if 2wd I vote low if its 4wd I vote lifted

8. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

I couldn't vote because there wasn't a standard height option. Raised or lowered is a bad idea for a shop vehicle IMO. Standard height is ideal for lifting heavy items out of (without bending your knees or back or having to hoist them over your shoulder to get it in) Lowered :alucard: will be a pain as there are always obstacles that will require special manuevering, and if you're pulling a trailer, you already have to maneuver enough without the truck adding to the problem.

9. Damian Grihalva

Damian Grihalva High Wheeler

The T-ette I found is a 2wd, but converting it to a 4x4 is very easy and is in the plan since I live in the snow. I secured some 1-ton dually axles for the job. If lifted, it'll get linked and coil-overs up front. If the rear is linked, it'll be air-bag'd to control weight while towing. But I'll probably go with leafs and airbags.

D

10. Russ McLean

Russ McLean High Wheeler

Standard anything is not an option when Extreme is part of your name... :clown:

I voted lowered -> For towing, lifted scares me. I had a trailer sway on me once, stability is important to me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  11. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lowered. Dan lowered a buddy's 90's era Chevy 3500 dually and it looks great. There is one thing though, you have to do it while maintaining the functionality of the truck. There is no sense having a 3/4-1 ton truck, looking good in the weeds, but can be out hauled by a ranger. I like the look of big low trucks, especially IH's. The D-series with there square design is just begging to be floored.

12. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

:punk: X 2!!!! I love the look of a bagged truck, but it still needs to be practical for the Colorado winters. On the flip side, you could have the D&C version of the "suburban gorilla". That would be equally as cool. However, it can't be stock.

13. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Lifted. Not only should lowering require a permit, but there should be an online registry :detective: for truck lowerers :clown: so that if they move into your neighborhood you can picket them and make sure you keep your children from passing by their houses. Imagine the damage that could cause if left unchecked.:no:

14. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Lifted! Who wants a truck that can't carry?

15. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

*steps up on box*

A properly setup bagged truck will have no issues serving as a tow vehicle. If you go to tuner shows (SEMA, NOPI, etc) you will see numerous duallies in the weeds pulling loaded 30ft enclosed gooseneck trailers from several states away. Its ok if you have a hatred for a lowered truck, but it can still serve its intended purpose rather well.

*steps down*

16. Rough74

Rough74 Farmall Cub

I'm going to vote lowered as well. The hot-wheels look is played out on lifted trucks - it's visually counter-intuitive.

17. Ike T

Ike T High Wheeler

Lowered! :D

18. willy

willy Binder Driver

For your intended use I'm with the lowered crowd .
    Towing with a lifted rig presents some real safety issues, not imposable to work around, but issues just the same. I think lowered (within reason) would make for a more "family friendly"
    truck, kids climbing in and out, etc.

Willy

19. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lifting a truck doesn't mean it's going to carry. I have seen PLENTY of lifted trucks I wouldn't haul a load of empty card board boxes in. Lifting a truck is going to raise the loads center of gravity, going to make it harder to load and many times reduce the capacity you can carry. ;)

20. JOBIE

JOBIE Farmall Cub

Lowered. Setting on the frame with bags. Lets see D&C go to another Extreme.