swapping engine from auto to manual

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

A friend here in our local club is about to start a swap an engine that was orig. mated to an auto into his scout which is manual. My question has to do with the balancing. I have understood that the engines where balanced with the flywheel. We are gonna swap the flexplate with a flywheel. Any issues with the balancing??

Anything else that might be a surprise?? This is on scoutII orig with a 345 gonna swap in a 304 that was mated to an auto. He bought the complete scout that that has the 304 he wants to use.

2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

No issues. Use the existing flywheel and clutch setup and the same throwout bearing and collar.
    Suggest you replace the casting ["freeze"] plugs on the back of the engine, the rear main seal and the throwout bearing. The pilot bearing seldom needs attention. Use sealer on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts to avoid oil leaks.

3. tdc

tdc Dreams of Cub Cadets

I had my flywheel and pressure plate neutrally match balanced for $60 and believe me,
    it is very smooth throughout the entire RPM range, compared to other swaps I've done.
    You can get by, swapping a sv345 flywheel onto a sv304 without having it balanced if you don't mind some top end vibration.

4. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

Some say they have issues, most don't, we put a flywheel off of a 304 on a 392 in Dads Travallette and it doesn't vibrate at all, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

The engines were externally balanced at the factory. I'd swap the harmonic balancer too to keep it mated with the flywheel
    Other than that, what Doc said should just about cover it

6. Thomas

Thomas Dreams of Cub Cadets

---The flywheel can only mount one way if the roll/alignment pin was not removed. AFAIC, If it has been removed, I nor anyone else on here can say where it would go, cause no one to this day has stated facts regarding the placement of said roll pin & some* still act like it doesn't matter. I can't even verify that a "goober" hadn't remove my flywheel's roll pin prior to resurfacing. All I can truly say is it was there afterward.

-If using a new pressure plate,

---Prior to mounting the flywheel, locate the stamped "L" on the front side (opposite of machined face) and place a mark on the tooth closest to it. Once the flywheel is mounted, the clutch pressure plate will show a colored dot on its housing. That will be the balance mark that should line up with the "L"... or as close as possible to the "L".

-If using the old pressure plate,

---If you haven't yet removed the parts, mark the pressure plate & flywheel with a spot of paint. Just like you would mark a distributor prior to pulling it. If parts are already removed, inspect them for identifying marks that would show where one or all of the mounting flanges were originally. You might have something as simple as a spec of grease on the back of one that also marked the flywheel! Try not to handle the parts too much prior to inspection and you might find something such as the grease.

---People on this site wouldn't have been saying for 20+ years, that there was a difference if there wasn't. Again, there wouldn't be different part numbers for different CID flywheels if there wasn't a difference. You take a 66.6∞% chance of installing it incorrectly if you don't pay attention to the manufacturer's specs noted in the manuals. A person feeling vibration is irrelevant when it comes to correct engine balancing.

7. VooDoo

VooDoo Binder Driver

Be sure to remove the starter spacer plate that is used with the auto torque converter and not the manual flywheel; if it is like a 1972 fullsize. ;)

8. WRENCH MAN

WRENCH MAN Dreams of Cub Cadets

As far as I've ever been aware there are three flywheels available for the IH "SV" engines, for 10" clutch, for 11" & 12" clutch and for 13" clutch.
    People that have had issues probably have had more issue with the pressure plate than the flywheel?, I had the NEW! SACHS pressure plate for my Jeep balanced and the machine shop pulled out two of the three balance weights the factory put in it!

And if you want to get really technical no production engine is balanced worth a crap anyway! factory "tolerances" are quite broad!

9. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

Thanks for all the replys guys!! We will study this and everything should work out fine:punk::punk: