SV offset crank grind

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by eeyore, Feb 18, 2017.

1. eeyore

eeyore Farmall Cub

I'm building a 392 and interested in offset grinding either a 345 or 392 crank for more stroke and to bring the pistons up in the block. Problem is I can't find bearings with more than a -0.040 undersize. At one time I thought I saw some -0.080 bearings, but I can't remember where I saw them and can't find them any more. I also thought Tom Mandera had mentioned he had a source for -0.060 bearings, but if he said where, I couldn't find that either. So, does anyone know where more than a -0.040 undersize bearing can be found? Also is there any advantage to using the 345 crank over the 392 assuming I will lighten the rods. I have both cranks, but I have concerns with the condition of the 345 crank.

2. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

more the under size the more prone you are to a problem. was alway's told that. send tom mandera a PM and ask him.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. bmacguyver

bmacguyver High Wheeler

for an offset grind on the crank dont they normally weld the crank to maintain crankpin size?

4. Tom Mandera

Tom Mandera Dreams of Cub Cadets

You can have it welded and recut, but I've just had it offset ground and I've only used the .040 under-sized rod bearings.

You'll still have to deck the block to zero-deck it, just not as much.