Super Swampers on a dually

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by Beachead, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

I have always liked the look of a dually 4x4 with some aggressive, big lugged tires on them.
    Since I have obtained my new Frankenstein 1510 4x4, I've been looking at the narrower Super Swampers, such as the 34x10.50-17 LTB or 33x9.50-17 SX tires. I need to ditch the 17.5" rims that are on it currently and step down to a 17, which looks like would fit. Probably a 17x7 or 17x8.
    I have a lot of experience with Swampers on my Jeeps over the years but never on a big truck or dually.

My questions are:
    Will I still be able to retain some, or most of the trucks carrying capacity with a tire like that?
    These SS tires are bias 8 or 10 ply. Is that enough? I need to see what load range options they come in.
    Anyone have any experience with putting that type of tire on a dually, any safety concerns in doing so?
    I definitely need to put new tires on it and want the nasty tires, but want it to be done right.
    Thanks

2. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

So I ended up getting the E rated Super Swamper sxIIs in 33x9.50-17. I found GM 17x6.5" 8 on 6.5 new steel wheels to use with the tires. Here is a pic of what it will kinda look like.
    20160108_152212.jpg 20160108_152016.jpg

3. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Measure the hub opening on the GM wheels. I know they will not fit the 1210 3/4 ton axle hubs. Most guys use Dodge or Ford rims because of this. I would make sure rims fit over hubs before spending money to have them mounted.

4. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

The truck has GM 8 lug wheels on it already, I did measure the hubs, looks to be all good. I still have to order the wheels yet.
    As to why it has the 8 lug axles on it, I'm not sure yet, old owner may have swapped the hubs/brakes when he put the GM hydro boost setup on? The front is closed knuckle D70F and rear is an Eaton.

5. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Someone swap'ed in 1310 (1 ton axles) I bet. They used 8 lug Dana 70 front (6k rated) and rear IH corp RA 15 8 lugs. I believe the 1500 had the RA20. So not actually not an Eaton axle should be IH corp. The RA15 was rated 7,500 # and the RA20 was 10k. I would have to find the spec sheets, but that's what I remember them being. Either way good thing is they are 8 lug and easy to find wheels for.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  6. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

That could be, I am not too familiar with these trucks yet....not too much out there it seems. Thanks for the info. Here is pic of rear axle.
    20151206_134419.jpg

7. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

WOW a rear sway bar that's interesting. Not sure that is factory, as it looks like the arms aren't level . Interesting.

8. DNL

DNL Binder Driver

Gonna look great with those tires.

9. Beachead

Beachead Farmall Cub

Yeah, a sway bar in the rear, kinda odd . Might help with a load on back??

Thanks DNL
    Can't wait to get tires on there.....still need to order wheels and nuts. Too cold here to mess around with the truck too much anyway.

10. PlanetMan

PlanetMan Farmall Cub

Nice choice on the super swamper. have you managed to put those on your truck?