Suggestions for Scout 800 Aftermarket gauges

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by scout2000, Mar 1, 2017.

1. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Scout 800 Aftermarket gauges

I have unfortunately had bad luck with my aftermarket Auto Meter gauges. And not just one. My speedometer died coming home from a local Binder meeting (yes, the speedo froze, I’m not snapping pics as I drive down the road), I have been fighting my fuel gauge almost since new, and I don’t know if its obvious, but my mechanic accidentally put a pretty large scratch in my oil pressure gauge.

I think that these are good looking gauges, and I can live with the scratch on the oil pressure gauge, but, minimally, I’m looking at having to replace my speedo and fuel gauge.

I was extremely unhappy, that for what I paid for these, that the lens’ were plastic.

I’m currently considering replacing the entire gauge cluster and looking at something else.

I thought that Auto Meter was a quality brand, but now I’m having 2nd thoughts.

As I have watched other builds, I have also seen several builds with Speed Hut gauges, which, I understand, is a start up from the same person/group that used to own Auto Meter.

IMHO, a gauge cluster that cost $400 - $500 should be expected to last the life of the vehicle, if treated properly.

Looking for suggestions, with emphasis towards glass (not plastic) lens’.

On the plus side, the odometer is still working. As of today, I’ve put 5300 miles on my LS engine. The drive train swap, IMHO, has been an incredibly big plus.

TIA for gauge comments and suggestions.

gauges.jpg

2. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

Uh.......you say it froze? At 100 mph? As in you were driving 100 mph? Or did it jump around and end up freezing at that position?

scout2000 likes this.
  3. scout2000

Actually, I was doing 80 MPH when it broke. Somehow it had moved down to 100 thru driving this week.

That wasn't the part you were suppose to be impressed with. You were suppose to be impressed with the fact that my 800 has become my fair weather daily driver and that I had put on 5300 miles over the last year. With great fuel economy, at least for a vehicle shaped like a brick. Usually right around 20, with a best so far of 21.83333333333.

4. MontanaMac

MontanaMac Farmall Cub

No wonder you're having problems, driving 100mph in a Scout 800.... probably shaking the bajeesez out of them, not to mention the 120 dB noise factor!

Sorry, I just couldn't help it! :phone:

scout2000 likes this.
  5. scout2000

Actually, the noise isn't that bad. I have good tires. Its still a Scout, and it is what it is, but I can easily carry on an (elevated) voice conversation with my wife at highway speeds. I expect things to get even quieter (inside) after I apply some of (I believe) Jay Maitland's sound deadening tricks, once I get to the point I am ready for body && paint work.

I'm truly on a mission to turn this pigs ear into a silk purse.

Thank you for the post anyway.

6. MontanaMac

MontanaMac Farmall Cub

Even at 100 mph?

Okay, sorry that I am of absolutely no help! I actually am quite interested, since I too have Auto Meter gauges. I just haven't installed mine yet.

scout2000 and Packerrailway like this.
  7. steven73

steven73 Farmall Cub

I have all Autometer too, except I have an customized indicator light "gauge" from New Vintage USA. The indicator light gauge was custom made and had lots of good customer service interaction during the build.
    If I have to replace any of mine I'm going with them.

scout2000 likes this.
  8. scout2000

New Vintage USA.

I guess I need to look them up. Just out of curiosity, can you share more please? Are you headed there just due to good customer service? Or maybe a friend has a set of there gauges that has "taken the "Timex" licking but keeps on ticking after a decade of use and abuse?

thanks for posting.

9. scout2000

New Vintage USA

Here is there home page/URL for anyone else interested in looking

http://www.newvintageusa.com

which redirects to here:

http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.com/

If anyone else has comments or experiences with this company, positive, negative or otherwise, please share. Don't post anything that would get you banned from the BP though. :)

MontanaMac likes this.
  10. NavyFO

NavyFO Farmall Cub

I committed what could be considered a hate crime, but I got a set of VDO gauges, black "cockpit" style (hey, I'm a pilot!). They have actual glass and have been great for the last 5000 miles. The speedo I got didn't have a high beam indicator though so I added a blue light between the blinkers. I also added a tach to the left of the speaker. Got them all from egauges.com.

Attached Files:

11. steven73

steven73 Farmall Cub

The customer service and the one product I have seems very well built.
    My autometer oil gauge needle has popped off twice, and the voltmeter has to be tapped to get it to read sometimes. Connections on rear of voltmeter and my wiring are clean and tight.

12. ZALO69

ZALO69 Farmall Cub

[​IMG] Hi, I´m working in my 1964 scout 80 4x2, 152 engine. I bouught it with out speedometer cable. Please where is it installed?
    Perhaps need a speedometer gear too, but I don´t know where install it.

13. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I have a friend with a 65 ford, he used vdo gauges 15 years ago, and they are still going strong. They are glass front, and liquid filled so the gauges read steady and don't bounce around. I don't even know if they build that type anymore, but he is happy with them.

14. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

I can highly recommend Speedhut. Everything from the website, to ordering, packaging, customer service and of course the gauges themselves have been top shelf. Being able to customize every gauge and see how it will look on the website is awesome.