Suggestions/Experiences with Conversion Kits?

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by jono, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jono

jono Farmall Cub

Hi:

I'm looking into a full SVO conversion. I've been investigating various kites (plantdrive, etc.) and wanted to know if anyone had some experiences or suggestions with any of these. I may just go with plantdrive since the base office is near my house, but I don't know a whole lot about this...

2. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

I am interested too. what I've read here is that its not a great engine for conversion, but the place that worked on it for me said the opposite. That the older simpler diesels are better for conversion than new ones. Anybody? I am in the SFV.

3. pri

pri High Wheeler

Guys,

A great place to learn more than you ever wanted to know about vegetable oil as fuel in diesels is the vegoil forum at infopop. Follow the linkie Vegetable oil diskussion forums and you'll see the light... :sorcerer:

Paul

4. jono

jono Farmall Cub

Thanks, I've been reading as much as possible since I posted the question, feel much more informed now. The infopop forums are good, but I wanted some specific observations with SD33T conversion.

I think Tinkerer will have some good feedback on another IH kit he's doing soon, so that should be helpful. I also think it's important to go with a kit that has proven well on a larger vehicle rather than ones that seem specifically designed for smaller cars. Not sure how different the engines are overall, but kits that do well for larger stuff seem like a better idea in general.

Right now I'm thinking Plantdrive, Golden Fuel Systems, Frybrid (not in that order). Like the larger filters and water filter chemical in the GFS, need to look into that with the others. Not sure what my position is about heating at the injectors, GFS said the engine is the heat exchanger (meaning it will heat the oil as the oil approaches the injectors). This makes sense to me, but I can't see how heating it a bit more would hurt either. If GFS without an injector heater doesn't seize up in the cold and runs well, seems like they have proved the point.

I also did some calculations using liveneutral.org and found the Traveler on biodiesel puts out a bit more than 1/2 the CO2 of a Prius driven the same number of miles -- put that in your pipe and smoke it.

5. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

I found someone on Craigslist who does conversions. He has qoted me between 600 and 800. Half of what Lovecraft or others advertise. Have you converted yours yet? everything points to a two tank system.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Farmall Cub

Hey there - I've been working on a custom conversion for about 2 years now ... its been a while since I posted last ... fact is that I converted over to run Biodiesel (new poly fuel tank, Aluminum,SS,viton fuel lines [I used them all in various combos], heated Racor filter) and then veg-oil (2-tank system), but since I now only drive the old Scout about 15 miles/wk, the veg-oil conversion went on the back shelf. Long story short, I'm now reviving it. Here's the deal: No matter what "kit" you use, or if you decide to do your own set-up, you will still need to deal with the "Flush" issue. That is to say, you don't want to have to drive an extra 20 minutes or more to make certain - and how could you ever be absolutely certain - that the veggie oil is out of your secondary fuel filter. So, as you may know, you'll need to run a parallel fuel system, but the issue that I've taken a whole year to face is that you must monkey with the fuel return off of the IP - which is a metal tube of unknown diameter and has an unknown amount of pressure going through it. So, that's my comment pertaining to the conversion - I'd be happy to post all of the various components I've used for my custom kit (not a budget version, I must add). And, I would love to hear comments from any one who has monkeyed with IP fuel return (i.e. run it through a solenoid before it goes back to the secondary fuel filter) and how this might be done without causing irreparable damage - I'm rather attached to the Old Scout and I hate to do unnecessary modifications.

Thanks and good luck,
    Mike

7. vegestar

vegestar Binder Driver

I worked with Plantdrive to develop the single tank MB system which works well in warm climates due to the Benz pre-chamber design. The best way to go is a paralell system with lots of heat. I think Plantdrive does a good job of incorporating all of the best products available to cater to your needs. Tinker and I can help with whatever you need, he is now the sole installer for Plantdrive at this time. Good luck to all