Success story...so far

Discussion in 'Injection Tech' started by Royce Stephens, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Royce Stephens

Royce Stephens Farmall Cub

Some time ago I bought a kit from Bill to convert my 74 100 with a 345 and t19 to fuel injection. I had NEVER dealt with fuel injection, in fact I couldn't even spell EFI. I was remodeling a house and needed my truck up and running. I heard stories of a one day EFI conversion but I was sure this would not be the case for me. Finally the fuel pump gave out on the old truck and I had to do something.
    I cracked open the box from Hamilton and read the manual about 150 times. I laid everything out and got to work. I had originally planned to mount everything under the seat but quickly decided the glove box area was a better option. There was a small spot between the kick panel and the AC box that allowed for a hole and grommet (just barely). I didn't have a glove box so there was nothing to remove. Temp mounted everything in and laid out the harness. My truck is a single tank with no drain plug and had all the vapor recovery lines intact. I decided to leave the tank and its lines in the stock configuration and welded a return into the fuel filler neck.
    I followed Bill's instructions as closely as I could. When I didn't understand something I called and Bill answered his phone right away. He was very patient with an obvious EFI novice and always very helpful. The only variation I used was a different check engine light that filled the 1/2 inch hole in the dash from the old choke cable. Besides this light the only other things I had to purchase was the fuel line, an offset air breather stud and a reducer bushing for the temp sender. I do still need to get a 90 degree boot for the coil wire as the straight one rubs on the stock air breather.
    Moment of truth...primed the pump a few times...turned the key...fired right off. Ran rough for a few moments then smoothed out. Turned it back off and cranked it again and it fired up like I have never heard an old IH fire up.
    Been driving it a few weeks and it is so nice and dependable. The temps over the past few weeks have ranged from 20 to 85 and the truck fires without question every time.
    The only problem to note so far is my speedometer. I had added a speedo compensator thingy a few years ago to get my speedometer right. Adding the speed sensor to the stack made the line of junk attaching to the speedometer cable very long. It put such an angle on the cable I believe it snapped it after the first few runs. That's my theory anyways I haven't removed the cable yet to check. I'm sure there is some type of right angle conversion for this problem but I'll figure that out later. Right now I'm just enjoying a good smooth running IH.
    It did take me a few saturdays to get everything done but was very well worth it. My 71 Scout is about to get a rebuilt 304 and I will be calling Bill again for another kit.

Mark Aycock and Darrel like this.
  2. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good to hear all is well Royce.
    I was a little surprised with no offset air cleaner stud in the kit since I have been supplying them for a couple years along with the fuel pump block-off plate. But then I looked up your purchase and it was from 2014. You've had it for a while.
    You haven't sent me any data yet so I can see how its doing. If you need a laptop I can ship you one of my loaners.
    There are 90* adapters out there for the speedo cable. If you can't find one let me know.

3. Royce Stephens

Royce Stephens Farmall Cub

2014, wow. No idea it sat on my shelf that long. I actually purchased a 93 Dodge at one point and was going to do a 6bt swap on it like my Travelette but talked myself out of it. Glad I did now. I think I will much more enjoy the truck with an IH plant. I haven't gotten a chance to check into data logging yet. Work should slow down this week and I will get my laptop set up and check some numbers.

4. fourrottendogs

fourrottendogs Farmall Cub

How much has your fuel mileage went up ? Does it feel like it has more power ? Just can't talk my self into it because my carburetor work so good other than the crappy fuel mileage and that's to be expected. Thanks