Stu...you HAD to start this crap...

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Mike Moore, Jul 13, 2009.

1. William Griffin

William Griffin High Wheeler

Funny, my wife said just about the same thing when I came in with blood rolling down my neck. "well I guess you're ready for Halloween". I usually grow a beard for the winter starting Nov 1 anyway, I'm just starting a little early this year.

2. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

I've been kicked and cut by a few grinders over the years but never on the face. Ouch! :pinch: Hope it heals up well and fast.

3. Mike Price

Mike Price Binder Driver

Stay AWAY from me.....ALL of YOU:nono: Ohsa nightmares...all of you:tt2:
    I havn't hurt myself since ...wait ,I'll shut up now:)

4. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Smart move Mike.

I really dread seeing this thread.

5. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

*sigh*

I guess I could post pics of the too-close call of the damage from the Stihl 14" concrete saw. One of our knucklehead Guatemalans, Miguel, got VERY close to my achilles....cutting thru my pants leg and leaving a superficial 5" long cut where my calf meets the tendon, 'only' taking off the skin. Could have been a bad day but it just produced a whole lot of adrenaline and not too much blood.

6. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Trying to download pics of today's misadventure. Suffice it to say that while I normally practice two finger typing but tonight it is one. The Guatemalans were 'successful' today.

7. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Don't give them power tools!

8. zuke

zuke Farmall Cub

Damn Stu, Do you get any kinda hazard pay for working with those guys?

9. atlantascoutfan

I think I just realized one of the benefits of not working on stuff -- no injuries! :stuart:

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the latest "ouch." Hope it doesn't hurt much.

10. DNL

DNL Binder Driver

Stu, are we talking injured or removed?

11. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Nearly removed. Another 1/4" and it would have been guillotined. As it is, 14 stitches. I am working on getting some pics off of the phone.

I was unloading a 14' aluminum ramp off the back of a truck with a co-worker. I was on the end with two steel hooks that lock into bed pockets. He was on the end with handles. It was turned up on edge and on the bed by about 4". There are vestigal legs on the underside that serve no purpose other than to flap around when you are handling the ramp, and I was attempting to get one out of my face (literally). I had one hand rested on the end of the ramp between the hooks, and for some reason said Guatemalan pulled it off the bed and down went the ramp. The upper hook collected my right index and middle fingers and scissored my index finger between it and the bed.

Pics to follow.

12. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

...thanks for the warning...:no:

13. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Still having trouble downloading pics off the cell phone. I might have to do it at work and email it to my Blue Nile account. I am supposed to get the stitches out next Monday. I need another X ray as I am convinced the middle knuckle is broken. The antibiotics and painkillers have been making me very sick so I have been going cold turkey. Not fun.

14. atlantascoutfan

:eek: :pinch:

Not so sure I want to see them now. :no:

Sorry to hear all this. You should get hazardous duty pay working with that numbskull. :mad:

15. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Our last remaining Mexican dropped a 1200# stepping stone on my instep this afternoon.....plenty of blue, red and yellow but the steel tip in my now ruined $140 boots saved my foot from being pulverized.:hammer:

Got to watch out or these Spaniards are gonna kill me.

16. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

That has to be one bad dude regardless of his nationality! and at 1200# I would think it would be a little more than a stepping stone.

17. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

We had extra steppers on the truck after a job where we built a stone staircase. They are about 6' or 7' long, about 30" wide, and about 7" thick. Thats pretty close to 1200# @ 150#/cu.ft. They are not completely dimensional or regular in shape. Three had slid off a poorly loaded pallet and he was trying to finger them off with the Cat skid steer forks. He got two off but there was a really long skinny one left on the truck and it kept sliding as he tried to get the forks under. I used a digging bar to walk it onto the forks, and instead of keeping his hands off the sticks, he fluffed the forks and the end popped into the air about 6" and as it came down it landed on my foot. Most of it hit the back of my steel tip, and I am lucky it didn't bend down the back and cut my foot in half. One edge of it landed on the top of my foot. Another guy I work with jumped up on the truck and walked it off with the bar. Unfortunately I had to work with the culprit again today.

18. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Whooptie Scout

Overdue for my regular contribution to this thread.

Big thumbs up to my Guatemalan co-worker Darwin, who has decided to pass along the gift of whooping cough (pertussis) from his homeland to ME. Also have developed pnemonia trying to work like a slave though what I thought was just a "bad chest cold". Stupid me I waited 3 weeks to see a doctor. Apparently the tetanus shot I got 3 years ago was tetanus-only, not DPT as almost all of them are these days. Can't get the good stuff at urgent care I guess. After a year blessed by neck surgery, I now get to pass out coughing. Literally. I was driving home from work the other night, started a coughing fit, felt very dizzy, when I came around (hypoxia) I found myself in someone's front lawn with the van running in 'park'. Adult whooping cough is supposed to be 'milder' than that experienced by non-immunized children....sobering thought.

Get a booster.

19. atlantascoutfan

Re: Whooptie Scout

I was just thinking about you the other day. I literally though "huh, wonder if Stu is alive?" Sorry to hear you came so close to giving a negative answer to that question. :eek:

Will do. The thought of pertussis scares the crap out of me. Thanks for the heads-up.

Glad you're still alive and on the mend. Hope you feel better soon.

20. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

I was thinking about stopping by on Sunday. Had the girls and truck and well now I am glad I didn't. I just got tetnus and it had a couple others included. I think it was whooping cough but I'll check. Thanks for the advice and get well quickly.

Enjoy,

Erik