Stu...you HAD to start this crap...

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Mike Moore, Jul 13, 2009.

1. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

For your enjoyment......

Today I went in for my long postponed bee sting testing at the allergist. After 27 hypodermics of bee venom on my forearms, I learned that I am so allergic to two classifications of hornets and wasps that I have to start prophylactic serum injections immediately or rather as soon as they are manufactured! I have to have two injections per week for 11 weeks, then go to two injections every 4 weeks for 3 years, then it slows down till I am done 5 years from now. I am allergic to one whole class of hornets at the level of one one hundred-thousanth of the venom level of an average sting. That class includes white faced hornets, yellow hornets and yellow jackets. The wasp class produced a lower level of reaction, but by the time I left the allergist's office 3 hours later the tissue in the center of the injection site was dead.

Might have to give up mid summer JY diving.

:rockon:

2. WarlordX

WarlordX Farmall Cub

Damn stu, we have those all over i would be so paranoid whenever i was outside if i knew that lol

Amazingly.. I don't have many serious injury stories (considering my age and level of recklessness) but i guess I'm probably due for one "knocks on wood"
    But u can bet ill tell them if, or i should say when they happen :gunsmilie:

3. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

I almost rolled the truck on my self greasing U joints the other day. Hey DA, chock the wheels before dropping a UJoint. Obviously my Ebrake is weak. Glad my driveway's slope isn't great. I was able to grab the wheel before it hit my torso and hold it until I got a hammer to chock it with.

E

4. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

Now that is what I call a serious allergy! :eek:

You can say that again. Heck, I'm not even allergic (as far as I know) but I only venture into junkyards in the warm months if I absolutely must -- and do so covered in protective clothing & armed with a couple full cans of wasp spray. My loathing of vespidae / vespinae is intense, to say the least. :yes:

5. William Griffin

William Griffin High Wheeler

That's really bad when you're into old iron. I hope the shots do the trick.

6. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Thanks, me too!

I do carry an epi-pen, and they come two to a script. However, when I looked at it today on the way into the allergists' office, I noticed that the one in my van had expired three (3) years ago. I must have thrown out one new one and one old one when I refilled my script last time. I never looked at the date, but rather the window on the pen that shows cloudy when the suspension has gone bad. Haven't had a bad sting since then so I guess I am OK. I thought I was stung in the middle of 08 but maybe I screwed up that date in my head? I think I got hit by two yellow jackets under the hood of an 800 at my old house. Hmmmn.

7. Jake Brooks

Jake Brooks Farmall Cub

Seeing this thread reminded me to post. I was going to make a post after the incident but forgot.

Story:
    We are forever receiving stuff from my wife's mom, some good stuff and other stuff needs some work. Recently we received two end tables from her that had been painted a really ugly color some time ago. They have a really unique and old clover shape and design to them, so I figured I would strip the paint off them and see what the wood looked like beneath the paint. This gave me a chance to use paint stripper. I've never used it but been curious how well it works.

I got some and read the directions on application and the warnings (avoid contact to skin, eyes and inhalation-wear safety equipment, blah blah blah). No need to get the safety stuff, I was only going to try out a small amount to test it. Besides all of that stuff was out in the garage and I was all the way in the house.

So I applied it and after ten minutes, stripped it clean. COOL, so I decided to apply some more to the side of the end table near some molding. Give it a good test. I poured some out on the brush and to keep it from dripping on the floor I used the brush to "swipe the opening", and here is where I wished I had gotten that safety equipment. The bristles flipped a small amount of stripper up and in my eye. I knew at that point, this is not good. It took 2 seconds before I was clutching my eye, jumping up and down, and screaming like a little girl. If I had not known any better, I could have sworn someone stabbed me in the eye with a red hot poker.

Based on experience with foreign liquids in my eyes (gasoline, diesel fuel and yes super glue) I ran to the bathroom to wash my eye out, however not before stubbing my toe on the very same end table I was working on. Despite how much that hurt, nothing matters when your eye is on fire.

After ten minutes of washing it out with water the pain had only been cut into about half. I went back to the can of devil water (paint stripper) and began searching for the first aid part of the label. While rubbing my eye, I read the side that had the instructions and made it about half way down before thinking “COME ON! YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD MAKE FIRST AID PART ONE OF THE EASIEST PIECES OF TEXT TO FIND”. I type this all in caps because by this time I was desperate and starting to get very frustrated. So I gave up and read the front, the back, the other side, and finally back to the one I had began reading the first place. I’m sure this all took only a few seconds but is seemed forever and the pain was starting to increase again. Finally! If in case of contact with eye, flush with soap and water for fifteen minutes and SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.

Aw crap are you kidding me, medical attention? I’m home alone and I can’t drive. Hello, remember the stubbed toe? So I flushed my eye with soap and water for the instructed fifteen minutes. Which if any of you have washed your eyes with SOAP and water, you know it hurts too. So again with the screaming like a little girl.

I finally got it washed out and because it felt so much better, I decided against immediate medical attention. Just for good measure I did washed it out again later that night while showering.

Lesson to be learned from the story: when the label reads wear safety equipment, wear it, even if it is all the way out in the garage.

Sorry about it being a long story. :innocent:

8. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

I was playing with my friend's '42 Chevy ton and a half. Went to go get the last of the wheel off and noticed that my arm hurt and that there were things moving by my arm AndThoseAreBeesAndI'mRunningNow. It's amazing how fast I can cover ground when I need to... Thankfully I'm not allergic and they weren't POed enough to come after me. The later that night they met a swift demise.

9. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Something to keep in mind is that the first bee that stings you releases a hormone that marks you as a threat to the hive and that is why they keep after you. Bees are able to detect this hormone from very far away and will not relent till they can't smell it anymore. If you get hit, keep running. Sounds simple enough, but like I said they will follow you and find a way to get in if they can smell it on you.

10. Allan E

Allan E Lives in an IH Dealership

After carefully examining this thread, I have decided to take up a collection for you guys to get bicycle helmets, safety goggles, safety boots, and gloves to wear around the house, and bee keeper suits for trail rides.

11. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Well truth be told we have most of that stuff already but are just too stupid to use it.

12. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

Ahh, methylene chloride. Melts darn near everything, including eyeball. :eek: :pinch:

Don't forget rubber padding for all the sharp edges. :stuart:

13. Ty M

Ty M Farmall Cub

We'd all be out of money trying to cover all the sharp edges on our Scouts.

14. Karl Bader

Karl Bader Farmall Cub

Foolproof does not take into account the ingenuity of fools....

15. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

... and I am super ingenious!

16. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thought I'd throw a positive thing into this thread...

I trimmed my left thumbnail today. It's the first time I'm able to say I trimmed my left thumbnail, and not left thumbnailS, since last July. It's been two separate things, trying to grow together for 6 months, and finally got to where it's trimmed back past the split. Still looks a little funky, and sticks out farther than it used to, but it's one piece! It makes me happy, anyway.:)

17. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Sweet! I hope it isn't that we are healing through the winter for spring wrenching/smashing.

18. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Glad to see something positive posted in this thread.:hammer:

19. William Griffin

William Griffin High Wheeler

Here's something a little different. I was squatting down grinding on a loader bucket when the grinder kicked back and hit me in the face. Fortunately, only a small bit of the wheel caught me by the lip, the rest is a compression split from the impact of the handle. Could have been a lot worse and I'll have to say that in 30 years of working on stuff this is the first real facial injury I've had. Be careful with those grinders!

Attached Files:

20. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Wow, Bill! Yeah, that could have been ugly, right there. You gotta be the Joker for Halloween...;)