Stu...you HAD to start this crap...

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Mike Moore, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

I just got back from the ER. I wa spolishing a piece of stainless from a new project I got, using the pedestal polisher, and the piece got away from me, made a couple laps around and around before I could get my hands out of the way. Gouged my right wrist pretty deep and got me 5 stiches there. It also nailed 4/5 digits on my left hand, too. Hit my thumb on the nail and made a nasty blood blister behind my nail, but they said it wasn't bad enough that they'd recommend drilling my nail (HURTS like a big dog!), and tried fairly sucessfully to remove my fingerprints from all but my pointer finger.:oops:

I ruined a hard-to-replace piece of stainless trim form the project, too.:censored:

Y'all be careful. I'm gonna go try to get some sleep.:no:

2. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

It's OK Mike, 'tis but a flesh wound. I didn't post that I broke two fingers in my left hand last week when two slabs of bluestone snapped shut on them. Thought you'all might think me clumsy or something.

3. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Glad I just POR'ed an inner fender. Oh crap I going to be shock testing in Lynchburg this week. Plenty of oportunity to crush something there. I don't want to be three. Of course maybe the third bad thing happened to Stu.

E

Oh BTW take it easy and heal well.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  4. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

Note to self: This is not the week to play with heavy or sharp things. :eek: :pinch:

Hope everyone heals up fast. :(

5. Karl Bader

Karl Bader Farmall Cub

Alan,

Should we cancel tonight for safety? LOL!

6. ScoutFam

ScoutFam Farmall Cub

Must really be the week for it my nephew-in-law, the guy who married my niece, was working on his heep in my drive way and had just finished and was putting the jack away and it slipped off the handle and put a 4 long 1 inch deep gash in his leg. Hospital trip and 12 staples to fix it....

7. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

This story doesn't include staples, stitches, broken bones, or direct wrenching on my Scout, but I was adding a more secure latch to the barn doors on my garage (where the Scout lives) when I tripped on the uneven floor, jammed my toe down on the corner of a cinderblock (I was wearing Teva sandals) split the toenail up the center, and bled all over the dirt floor.

Does that count?

Attached Files:

8. Karl Bader

Karl Bader Farmall Cub

All I can say to all of you is...

Don't do that... :tt2:

9. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

OW OW fracking OWWW! :eek: :pinch: I say it counts, if only because I know personally how much that hurts!

BTW, Karl and I had a wrenching session last night. No serious cuts, broken bones or anything amputated, though there were a couple of rust-in-the-eyes moments for me where I cussed a blue streak. Note to all: wear goggles when working under a nasty old truck. Better yet, stuff some cotton in your ears while you're at it. I was still Q-Tipping rust flakes out of my ears this morning! :rolleyes: :)

10. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

Yea success, we've turned the corner. wo hoo!

11. bdgn01

bdgn01 Farmall Cub

Man, I would rather have two feet full of bloody toes than have anything in my eyes, especially rust. The last time I got something metal in my eye (a shaving thrown off from a grinder as I was doing bondo work on the front of a VW bus) was 20 years ago, and I still consider that experience my own personal 9th circle of hell. Anytime they have to put your head in a full collar and jab a needle in your eye-no, no thank you sir. It's full goggles for me.

12. reddoor1

reddoor1 Farmall Cub

This is small potatoes but when my Scout was packed away in the garage with the tub off and the rear bumper removed, I must of jammed the rear bumper bracket in my knee at least 20 times.

Bill- I'm with you on getting stuff in the eye. Glasses are a must!

13. Keith F

Keith F Binder Driver

I'm with you on that. Last week I was packing my trailer for a camping trip. I keep a stack of firewood in the back corner of my yard, behind some bushes. As I was coming through the bushes with an arm load of firewood, a branch snagged on the wood and wacked me in the face. Sure enough, my eye got a direct hit with a leaf, but not just any leaf, a friggin Holly leaf! :pinch: :censored: Made a nice scratch on the white of my eyeball, luckily it wasn't bad enough to require a trip to the doctor or cancel the trip.

14. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

Stu, I have visions of you walking in the ER and everyone knowing your name, and having the forms ready for you like they do for Tim "the tool man" Taylor!

15. stu simpson

stu simpson High Wheeler

Actually the Carroll County ER people know all of my in-laws and their kids by name, and when the new building went up everyone joked it was to be called the "Dickey Memorial Wing". My sister in law has had maybe 20 surgeries at that hospital.

I think I have only gone thru there 6 times? Of course I have been to GBMC in Towson at least that many times too.

16. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Not to be outdone by my friend and colleague Mike Moore,..last summer I dropped a 4lb hammer on my toe while checking trailer tires and I had to have been wearing my sandles and not my Red Wings like I should have had on. I drained the nail with my Craftsmen razor knife to get some relief from the pressure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Mike Moore

That's nuthin, Bruce.;)

I'll post a few pics tomorrow. They are similar looking, with the exception that now 4 days later, when looked at from the side angle, my thumbnail still rests about 3/16" higher than my last knuckle. The blood blister that borders my cuticle is another 3/16" above that, yet. I'm about to introduce that to an Xacto as I type this...:hammer:

18. Mike Moore

...wait a minute...today's SATURDAY. I did this Sunday night about 11pm...that means it's been 6 days, not 4.:no:

19. William Griffin

William Griffin High Wheeler

Mike, I'm too late as usual, but for others the best way to relieve pressure from blood under a smashed nail is to heat a straight pin red hot on the tip (a lighter will do it) and stick that in the nail. It makes a hole quick and doesn't hurt any worse than it already does. If done before the blood clots, a lot of the pain can be bypassed. I learned it from a Doc years ago and have used it plenty of times since.

20. Mike Moore

They melted a hole in mine last Monday, the day after I hurt it. Nothing drained at all. I went back for a look-see Friday, and they drew blood from the cuticle area with a needle, but it was just as bad by the time I got back home again.

Today, nine days after the initial whack, it still looks horrible. I've got pics on my phone that I need to post up, still.:oops: