Storage box in the back of Scout

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ihscoutmatt, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

anybody built a storage box in the back of their Scout? I have been considering this for some time now, my plan is to have the top level with the top inserts and go from the back seat to the tailgate, have a big compartment for like a tool box or ice chest and a few smaller ones for chains, straps etc.

2. Jesse Ray

Jesse Ray Farmall Cub

Yah I actually have. I was thinking of materials for it to be made. I was thinking about something that would actually slide out. I have seen a few of them you can purchase, however, I am sure nothing for a scoutII.

Anyway, I was thinking about something steel or aluminum, however, I am wondering what it would weigh and if I need a helper spring with it.

Jesse

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  3. carvnthetwisties

carvnthetwisties Farmall Cub

This to is a thing I have been wanting to do. For around 400 bucks you can buy one from Tuffy products that slides out, and for even more money, you can buy one from weatherguard that slides out as well. There was one on ebay for around 250 if you happen to live in the area, be a good deal! Unfortunately I do not. Let us know if you come up with something.

Thomas

4. Mark B 70SR2

Mark B 70SR2 High Wheeler

I have been looking for something as well for my 800. I was thinking aluminum like a truck tool box except not all that deep, so that I can still put things under it as well, and access them by dropping the tailgate. Any Tig welders out there? I bet if you could get a group buy together for a dozen or so for the SII's you could get them fairly reasonable.

5. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Matt,

Have wanted to build one for a long time. I pickup some ball bearing slides for large servers and I plan on using two of them to let the draw move in and out easily. The slides also lock in the open posistion too.

My big worry is making it it light enough I don't want to make my Scout which are heay from the factory a bunch heavier.

I was wondering if I made the upper frame which would become the new usable cargo floor out if 1/2" square tube if it would be strong enough?

Carey

6. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Mine will be permanent, I hadnt considered the weight issue, lighter is better, good ideas on the drawers, I think Id like to do something like that on the smaller compartments. Thinking about it now I think it'd be better if I built it level wit the top of the tailgate and even put a piece of weather striping across it I think this will cut down on alot of the noise, dust and fumes plus make it easier to cool in the summer I plan to leave the top on now that Ive redone the interior. which I just put new weather striping around the tailgate so that should cut down on the dust and fumes and such.

7. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

8. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

I am planning on a setup that is lockable and strong.

I have a 2 drawer unit from Stanley/Vidmar that was from underneath a workbench. The drawers are strong enough to stand in and not damage.
    Not sure what it weighs but I can pick it up empty with out a problem

It is like the one in the pic, but with 2 drawers.
    I will build a "hinged" locking shelf/cover to go over the top of it to keep out the weather and undesirables. It will be bolted down by the body bolts or cage bolts(which ever ones line up best

Attached Files:

9. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

I have used this Delta box And it is great. I did have to replace the lock, but the box was not too expensive and holds a good amount, while still leaving space for other gear. At one point I built a steel tube rack that spanned the bed and supported this box with a spare underneath and a hi-lift bolted down. I might go back to something like that again.

I am currently using something similar to
    This
    It holds every thing I need and more, but takes up a lot of bed space.

This place has a lot of options, including Truck vault which looks pretty cool. I like Bills too, well done and simple.

10. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

11. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bill,

What is the spacing of your 1/2" steel tube frame and deck/floor supports?

Will the deck/top support a load like the Scout II floor?

Carey

12. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

My friend did it with his Scout II. He actually made a hinged cover that goes from the top of the rear seat to the top of the tailgate, making the entire area behind the seat a storage box. His Scout doesn't have the traveltop anymore---just a cage and roof rack---so the lid hinges up without interference. He built it all out of aluminum---diamond plate and channeling.

He spent a lot of time planning and building it. It's well done and extremely strong. The lid secures with a padlock, for which he built a semi-protected box; sort of a shielding. That way no one can easily get a pry tool or hammer near the lock. The rear edge of the lid also hooks into the tailgate, so you can't drop the tailgate unless the lid has been raised.

And the lid forms a deck basically, onto which he straps down his cooler and food box when out camping. With no Scout top, this deck is easily accessible from the sides as well as the front and back. It's nice. I wish I had pictures to show.

13. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

This sounds more like what Im thinking about doing

14. jeff rotella

jeff rotella Binder Driver

I was looking on the web site of the guy that is going to make the frame rails for my Scout and I came across this box-tailgate combo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  15. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

No doubt you'd like it. I'm sure a lot of people on this board would. I was just out at his shop yesterday telling him about this thread on the BB. Didn't think I had any pictures of it, but I remembered a few I took last year on a trip to Anza Borrego State Park about a year ago.

One picture's a close-up where you can see that the lid forms a really nice deck. that small vertical plate along the back shields the lock assembly. And all exposed fasteners are of a tamper-resistant type.

The other picture is the best one I have showing the lid open. By the way, he did the entire thing in aluminum. (You can sort of tell that from this picture.) It's all pretty thick gauge stuff, and he reinforced it like crazy. It's a damned strong setup.

Attached Files:

16. Jeff Melber

Jeff Melber Binder Driver

I was inspired by George Womack's storage box in the back of his yellow scout 800. We each have Weatherguard Pack Rat's in the back of our 800's. GW's occupies almost the whole rear of his scout (no seat). I needed the seat so mine is smaller.

The Pack Rats are built hellforstout and lockable. There are many different sizes.

Jeff

17. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Thats alot like what Im planning, its going to be from the tailgate to the wheel wells and up to the line where the top inserts come down to with 2 large compartments and a few smaller ones Im undecided yet on the material to make it out of though.

18. AnArticulateMatter

AnArticulateMatter Farmall Cub

i seen one in a traveler on ebay sometime ago. yellow and black, iirc. it was made of wood. went the full length from the seats to the lift gate, and full width of the bed. it was drawer-type.

only thing i really didn't like about the design is how are you supposed to get to your stuffs when you're stuck in an awkward posistion? more times than not i've been stuck either high-centered-ish, with my arse in the air, or in some other less than desirable posistion where you can scarcely get the gate open (less of a prob for the trav, obviously). Let alone the ability to roll out a full length drawer... :thumbs down:

my solution was to put piano hinges in the top, so even if you can't get the drawers rolled out, you can still get to your tools/parts/beer from within the cabin.

just my two pennies to throw in the kitty...

19. J Brad

J Brad Farmall Cub

I ended up using a Weatherhead (Ratpack) contractors toolbox. It's about 7" tall, barely fits in between the fenderwells & touches the flip-up back seat & misses the tail-gate by 1". The drawer pulls outjust past the end of the tail-gate when it's dropped down. Has plenty of room for spare parts & equipment. The main problem is it is heavy. But it's also lockable for when the top is off.

20. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Ive considered wood, but am probably going to go with metal. :hammer: