Stock SII luggage rack questions.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BigRigg, Dec 22, 2017.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Hi all,
    I've never had a luggage rack on my scout. I recently picked one up from coonrods, and I'm going to install it. I don't think that I'll use it much if any, I just really got it because I like the way they look. It just polishes the scout a bit.

Anyway, it came with some stainless strips, and I have a few questions regarding these.

1. Do I have to install them? I'm not opposed to doing it, but what purpose do they serve? And I don't like the idea of putting more holes in the top, if I don't have to...of they serve a valuable purpose, I will install.
    2. Phil said there were rubber gaskets to go I set the strips, but he was out, and I can't seem to locate them anywhere. Does anyone have a source?

2. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Believe the only purpose of those strips is to protect the roof if something should be loaded between the cross bars like suitcases and such. Since those are the early steel ones , they ' may' add some added strength to the roof for the load. If you're not going to use the rack with a load directly on the roof, leaving them off should be fine. The newer ones were rubber strips. Can't imagine they are intended for anything structural .

Mark Aycock likes this.
  3. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

Im pretty sure either Jeff Campbell or Jeff Jamison has a ton of NOS rubber strips for the roof rack. They are for travelall but same design, except longer. I cut them down to fit and they look great. The slats are stainless so can be easily sanded and polished by the shade tree.

I was hesitant to drill holes in my roof, but I couldn't resist. They look awesome installed with a rechromed roof rack. IH cost reduced and used those garbage rubber strips on later Scouts. I agree, the older ships protected the roof, and added a good measure of strength in the way they were designed. I would certainly not use a roof rack without them.

Here's mine. It didn't have the rubber gasket strips yet. But we did install them later. The shop didn't realize I had them.
    IMG_0561.jpg

stroker3 likes this.
  4. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Its Jeff Campbell,not me.

5. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Excellent! I will call Jeff and get some gaskets. I still hate the idea of holes in the roof, but looking at Joe's picture, I agree that it's worth it!
    I'll just have to use some silicone to seal off the holes really well. Don't want any leaks!!!

6. Gibbst

Gibbst Farmall Cub

That's gorgeous. Where did you get that rack? Is anyone offering new repros of it or am I on the hunt for a good used one? I REALLY want this look on my Scout.

7. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

No one offers reproductons. I salvaged my original rack, straightened it, and had all the pot metal and bars rechromed by a high end shop out of Nashville. I got the faux woodgrain applique from Scoutco. SS slats I got used from Binder Boys at Nationals a couple years ago. I sanded and polished to a mild brushed look. The inner 2 cross bars did not come from the factory but are the same manufacturer as what the factory used. I think it was a dealer option. Never saw another Scout that used them.

What you see from my picture will cost you a fortune. Probably more than a used beater Scout. Then there is the tracking down of missing parts that took me a lot of time and effort.

Phearmonger and Gibbst like this.
  8. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I've got the rack itself in a box ready to ship. It's pitted and not super pretty has 2 cross bars. Would look great painted black or aluminum.

Only other one I've seen is attached to a top sitting in Quebec, Canada for $500 CDN.

9. ollie

ollie High Wheeler

Hello folks, just bumping this thread up. I took my 73 Scout II roof off earlier today so I can get the dashboard fitted back on in light and with more room to manouver, going to drive it topless for a bit this spring. I'm planning on painting the top in the next few weeks. I have the original stainless strips and chrome roof rack. I took the strips off and removed the very hard and brittle rubber strip that was underneath off. Pretty much chipped it off...

Question - was just looking online for rubber strip to put under the stainless strips, but not seeing anything. The old strip is extruded with two indents presumably to help seal against leaks. Anyone got ant leads on where to find? Thanks!

10. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

Jeff Campbell has nos rubber pieces from a travelall roof. Used same design stainless strips but longer. I cut mine down to size. They work perfect. You won’t find the shorter nos ones for scout anywhere. Jeff will soon respond you you via this thread.

11. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

PM sent ollie

12. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Thanks joe

13. Gordon Pomp

Gordon Pomp Farmall Cub

I have a rack but no roof strips. I am swapping mine out for the front runner rack so I will be looking to let it go. If anyone is interested let me know.