Startup Problem

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by popsB6, Mar 14, 2009.

1. popsB6

popsB6 Farmall Cub

My 76 Scout II suddenly won't start. Symtoms like out of gas. Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, and checked gas level. What should my next approach be? Any help is appreciated

2. truck mechanic

truck mechanic Binder Driver

Did you check for spark, or pull the plugs to see if they are wet with gas?
    Paul

3. carvnthetwisties

carvnthetwisties Farmall Cub

How long has it been since you drove it? If it's been more than a couple of months, could be that the gas is old, sounds strange I know, but Michael Mayben told me about that and it solved my problem!

good luck!
    Thomas

4. jon w.

jon w. Farmall Cub

More info. would help get more suggestions. Is it turning over and then dieing, not turning over, etc. Automatic/Manual? Engine? Detailed symptoms/history.

Assuming it is turning over, you are getting spark, and fuel is definitely getting to the properly adjusted carb, then maybe bad gas. But you said "suddenly," so I assume you have been enjoying the scout and, after short term parking, it did not re-start. If you had been running rich, it could be fowled plugs. Easy test, pull and check for spark.

Also, ater your pump swap, did you make sure fuel was flowing from the pump up to the carb? The lever has to sit in the correct position on the lobe or the pumping action will not take place.

Not turning over?
    1. Assuming its an automatic, perhaps the NSS fowled - occasionally happens on our scouts - driver side tranny look for 3 wires going to a terminal plug - that's where the NSS threads into the tranny. You can connect 2 of the wires and bypass it to check for function.

5. mrendos

mrendos Farmall Cub

I had just bought a scout ran good towed it home 4 hrs and would not start drove me nuts did it all , turned out the starter was bad and drained to much juice to start or just was not cranking fast enough, weird but true ,

6. popsB6

popsB6 Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the input. Seems to have been carb butterfly plate. Suspect that my ignition key was a part - teeth worn down. Different set has it going. It's rough though. Needs plugs, etc. redone. Weather is accommodating, SO why not? Wife would just have me doing somethin' silly otherwise.