Stant Locking Fuel Cap for D-Series Fender

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by scoutboy74, May 16, 2019.

1. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

I've searched but didn't unearth a good answer. The Stant "vintage" catalog lists 10559 as being the correct cap for '71-72 1010 and 1110 fender locations as well as 1210 and 1310 trucks for the 1971 model year only. They curiously have no listing for any other D-series year. Rock Auto concurs, apparently having taken their cues directly from the Stant catalog. This is the wider and skinny "saucer" shaped cap, not the smaller, thicker cap that is for the cab fill location and also shared with the Scout II. First obvious question that arises is, what the heck could be different about the fender fill location from 1971 and either earlier or later years of D-series 1210 trucks? This seems like an incorrect or incomplete information situation on the part of the manufacturer. Then the next obvious question, has anyone used a 10559 on a 1973 1210 fender fill? I don't want to buy it to try it. I want to know that it will work beforehand. Thank you.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

3. scoutboy74

Yes, I've seen that catalog listing. Thanks, but I'm only interested in locking fuel caps. Trying to keep the honest thieves honest at least.

4. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Missed the locking part, didnt know if the part number would help the search.

5. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Maybe this will help. Robertshaw part numbers. Column #2 is locking.
    Robertshaw IH Gas Caps.jpg

scoutboy74 and stroker3 like this.
  6. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I dont know where I put the box or part number,but I had a stant locking cap on my 73 travelall front fender,until the locking part fell apart,it did fit,and there is no difference in the fender opening from 69 to 73 that I know of.

scoutboy74 and stroker3 like this.
  7. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Don't believe there is any difference as well.

This seems to happen quite often. They'll show for one year and not another having the same part. Seen it with the C series as well. IIRC something like this was mentioned with C series shocks not long ago. Seems the best that can be done is ask like you have for part numbers , shop by those over model /year and be creative with the order. Guess we're lucky they show anything IH at all...LOL

scoutboy74 likes this.
  8. scoutboy74

That's an old catalog. I've seen some old stock caps for sale on eBay that are apparently the equivalent of the Stant p/n that I posted, and they have been either RG 759 or G 759. What does the asterisk denote in this catalog? Thanks for posting it.

9. scoutboy74

Yes, that jives with what I've always thought was the case as well. I think the same applies for the associated filler necks as well. That's what it makes the catalog listings so puzzling. Why would they single out one or two years when those areas of the truck are the same for all years?

10. scoutboy74

Sad but true!

11. scoutboy74

Here's another question. In the case of a regular cab pickup, is the left hand tank with fender fill considered the auxillary?

12. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I don't know what the * means unfortunately. I snagged the pic from an old post on BP! I knew it would come in handy.

13. scoutboy74

Copy. I've been searching for a pdf of a vintage robertshaw cap catalog online to no avail so far.

14. scoutboy74

I suppose one is venting and one is non-venting and the asterisk is denoting one or the other, but which one?

15. scoutboy74

Ok. I think I've got it. By searching G750 on ebay, I've found that that cap number is an "E" for emissions aka vented. The G760 looks just like it but is apparently non-vented. So I'm assuming that the asterisk in the old rshaw cat is denoting a non-vented cap version.

16. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Isn't a vented cap NON emissions, that is, there is no vent line on the tank and the tank uses a vented cap leaving it open to the air so it does not build pressure in the summer or collapse when there is a lot of fuel drawn from it and as such, the gasoline evaporates into the atmosphere.

17. scoutboy74

Yeah that could be. There's a learning curve associated with this topic of fuel caps. There hasn't been a whole lot of prior discussion about it here that I'm aware of. I'm still matriculating myself around the bend.

18. stroker3

stroker3 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Yes.
    Right side either cab or fender fill is the main tank on the p/up.
    The D series T'all rear tank is the main making the right front the auxilary on those only.
    Any fender fill should have the same cap no matter what and I believe Mallen is right with vented/non vented. ( vented being the older cap)

scoutboy74 likes this.
  19. scoutboy74

Ok, that's mostly what I was thinking and it's helpful to have the clarification and confirmation. On Lemuel in my signature, which is a long term, non-op that I'm slowly bringing out of hibernation, both tanks were structurally sound, but very nasty inside. I chose to have the LH side cleaned and lined first. I'll of course, have the surge bottle and vent hose in place, so for that location, the non-vented locking cap, be it Stant 10559, or Robertshaw RG759, or CALPAK G759 are appearing to be the correct choice. When I bring the RH cab fill tank online at a future date, I will need a vented locking cap there since that tank has no ventilation. Sound good?

20. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

It's definitely a confusing topic....even for the Scout II. I wish it was as simple as indicating venting or non venting. But I believe they all have some type of spring / relief which will equalize the pressure if necessary. I just picked up a Stant (Gates) 10623. I think that's the RG-23 equivalent.