SSIIBuild, build thread

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by Randy Groenhof, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Randy Groenhof

Randy Groenhof Binder Driver

I guess we are over due for an update. While Nathan was down picking up Roadkill he gave me a hand with the front axle and suspension (thanks again Nate). We stripped the old axle down to a bare housing, the removed it from the truck. Next we yanked the old front springs out.
    [​IMG]
    Now we've found that no small task on this truck is complete without finding a gift from the P.O. Nathan and I found the front diff without a drop of gear oil for this task. Fast forward a couple days and Jason and I began stripping the front frame of all it's spring/shackle hangers,bump stops and shock mounts. We also pulled the steering box and old steering box repair plate.
    [​IMG]
    The frame has seen better days around the steering box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the plate out of the way Jason ground down and welded all of the cracks then ground the frame flat. While he was working on that I built a new plate and we welded that down over the frame repairs.
    [​IMG]
    We also beefed up the rear most steering box hole on the inside frame rail
    [​IMG]
    We then moved to the passenger side frame rail. We wanted to beef up that side as well since it's getting a straight steer brace.
    [​IMG]
    We punched out all the mounting holes to 1/2'' so we could run bigger bolts for a little more beef.

2. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

Looks good. I'll bet there were a couple of moments of disappointment when you saw those cracks. Nothing ever is really easy is it?

3. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Honestly, cracks in the frame are to be expected on a truck that has been wheeled. These have just never been addressed until now. I really like using the bigger hardware (7/16" up to 1/2" bolts). I may have to go back and give the Terra the same treatment at some point.

4. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

I know, but it is just one more thing to do. It's like finding parts missing. It would be too easy if they were there.

5. Randy Groenhof

I pulled the straight steer brace and steering box back off and painted everything, then reassembled with a junk steering box for mock-up. The old steering box is going to be shipped to West Texas for a rebuild and hydro assist kit. We are also waiting on an order from Ruff Stuff to come in so we can get the suspension started.
    In the mean time we have been concerned with how we would make the Warn m-1200 fit without killing the approach angle. Jason and I bounced a few ideas back and forth and came up with a plan. With the straight steer back in place and holding everything together the front cross member meet the sawsall.
    [​IMG]
    Then it meet the sawsall again. check out all the mud in the frame.
    [​IMG]
    At that point it was getting kind of addicting so the sawsall went to work again. The frame lost 2 inches in length which the new cross member will add back.
    [​IMG]
    The new cross member is made from 2x4x3/16 square tube. It's cut down and replated to allow the winch to sit lower and farther back. The bumper will mimic the cross member in the center and otherwise be similar to the ones on Jason's terra and roadkill.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We now have a nice gusset underneath that will also work as a base for the front shackle mount.
    [​IMG]

6. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

Looks good. Want to drive to Clarksville and work on my Scout this weekend? We have a fish fry Saturday night...

7. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

The reality of that front crossmember turned out even better than the brain storming that preceded it.:rockon:
    It has also amazed me at how much mud is in that frame.

8. Randy Groenhof

If I did that I would miss the wifes horse show Saturday. I don't think I need to explain the ramifications that would have.

9. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

looking good guys. Looks like there's gonna be a nice stout home for the baby winch that came with the rig. Cant' wait for the Ruff Stuff goodies.

10. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

That little baby winch needs a nice stout home, or it will remove it self from the frame in a quickness. That M12000 is the meanest sounding finger grinder that I have heard.

I am always excited when a package from Ruff Stuff shows up. His stuff is always top notch.

11. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

I never understand you guys who are afraid of your wives. Thats why I just never tell mine what I'm up to.:eek:

I am soooo excited everytime I open this thread. You guys ROCK. I'm so excited.:stuart:

Weeeeee.

12. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

And it makes me happy to know that you are happy Mr. SSIIbuild.

By the way, don't you need to handle some business in Charlotte or something? hint hint

13. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

I'm trying like nobodies business to pay another visit, but aas today is the 1 year bday of the little girl, and still trying to get settled into the Northern house. Not much time for anything. Not even for my toy up here, which is why shes up for sale, I hate to see her sit. ( The scout, not the wife ):eek:

14. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Well happy birthday to the little one, and I'm sure, as soon as you are able, you will grace us with our presence. Until then . . . it just pictures for you.:hammer:

15. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

I have a couple of sleeper sofas. I know what you mean. I just found out this afternoon that my engine won't be ready tomorrow as planned. I have to wait now. Maybe next week it will be ready. The guy was gonna paint it Chrysler Red. I had to ask for IH Red instead. I know that someone from this site would see it and call me on it.

16. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

*quietly raises hand*

umm . . . that would probably be me . . . yea, sorry.

17. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

I told ya you better speak up or you will end up with a chevy orange 345.:eek:

18. jetmech

jetmech Binder Driver

Looking great guys...as if that need's to be said!

I hope there's a wheelin trip planned when Jamie come's to claim her.

Better yet, we'll have to "ring her out" just to make sure she's fit before delivery takes place. :rockon:

19. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

That sounds like a marvelous idea Mr Todd. If something is going to break, we would prefer it to be on us. The truck has to prove itself before it makes the trip to the frozen north.

20. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

And NAPA doesn't carry a Dupli-Color IH Red engine enamel. I will continue the search...

I knew there would be a keen eye in the bunch. It would probably chafe my OCD side as well. It would honestly keep me up at night, kinda like Rain Man wearing the wrong drawers...