SSIIBuild, build thread

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by Randy Groenhof, Aug 17, 2008.

1. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

I'm gonna dredge up one of the older topics: WIRING.

I just got my American Autowire kit in the mail today. I have to say you guys were keeping secrets...That kit is SUWEET!! I will post some pics and scans up. I went with the 15 circuit. If I need more, I will get an additional board.

I will rattle on for a bit...This thing comes with a full diagram (as far as I could tell) that does not leave to much to the imagination. Everything is labeled. The bags have labels that tell you what is in it. There is even a practice kit. Th box that it came in has a handle for crying out loud. It is almost idiot proof. I saw a few things that I may have to mod, but I should be done with the wiring pretty quick. Well, I think quick.

And it was only $316 including shipping.

2. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Ditto!!!!!!!!!

3. Randy Groenhof

Randy Groenhof Binder Driver

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm sure their are plenty of similar setups out there. I don't think there are any new ideas in the 4 wheel drive world, just better executions. I did have to rework things some. while on my drive to work this morning it dawned on me that the bolt head well not clear the side of the t-19. To fix that problem I cut the end off a bolt and ground a flat spot in it to work with the factory set screw,now all is well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nate/Jamie
    I don't like the hvac elbow idea, it sounds kind of ugly to me. Instead, I was thinking a mailbox would be better suited. Leave the door closed for normal operations then open it up when it's business time. There may be a federal law against that though, so we may end up bolting a stock hood back on it to keep things on the down low.

Ed,
    I'm glad you like the American Auto Wire kit. The quality is second to none and it's impressive how complete the universal kits are. There is no comparison between those and the other kits on the market. I would buy the big can of zip ties from home depot or lowes. Plan on cutting off and redoing about half the zip ties before the project is through.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

Of course a mailbox. That way you can control your fuel consumption. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe later after a few engine mods I could upgrade to a townhouse/multiple mailbox for more controlability and forced air. :eek:

5. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

Hey, don't they make mailboxes in the shape of a fish? That way it's a breather/snorkel. Creek crossings would be a breeze! Hell, on second thought, why cross when you could just go upstream:boat:.

Ok, enough rick-diculousness, on with the build:hammer:

6. edstarnes

edstarnes Farmall Cub

They do make a breather that links to the throttle. It would stick out and look like a blower, but not as much power...

Summit Racing

Ain't cheap...$195

Attached Files:

7. Randy Groenhof

Jason and I got a good amount done this weekend on Number 2 as it has been named. We pulled the medium duty truck oil pan and oil pump off and swapped in a scout pump and oil pan. Now we have lots of front axle clearance that we previously didn't. While the pan was off we replaced the rear main and side seals . Jamie had brought down a scout oil pan already cleaned and painted. Before installing it Jason insisted we correct one problem with it though, the color was dangerously close to chevy orange. A quick coat of IH red and all was well. With that in place we moved on to installing the freshly turned flywheel and clutch.
    [​IMG]
    In the midst of that we shot some paint on the dana 300 so it could dry before assembly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Before throwing the transmission in we needed to fix the passenger side cross member mount, it had seen better days.
    [​IMG]
    The new mount should be a little more supportive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Once the mount was built we set it aside until the transmission was in place.

8. Randy Groenhof

Once the trans was in place we welded the cross member mount in. With that in we could just toss the dana 300 in and move on to the next thing..........wrong. Remember that nifty twin stick setup , yeah it doesn't fit in the tunnel very well. :stupid: I was to hard headed to walk away from the shifters so we reworked the tunnel to get the clearance we needed.
    [​IMG]
    We added about five inches to the factory relief in the passenger side of the tunnel. We didn't change the shape at all, just added some length to it. Now that we had the necessary space we heated and bent the shifters to land where they needed. Some trimming on the tunnel and cover and it was ready for the shift boots.
    [​IMG]
    The finished product turned out good but next time I think we will skip the headache and buy an after market set of shifters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look how easy getting the front drive shaft in and out is now
    [​IMG]
    Since we swapped the oil pump we wanted to prime the motor before firing it back up. We took a 2 foot piece of 3/8 all thread and ground to flat spots in it and chucked it in a drill. After popping the distributer out we used it to turn the pump until we showed good oil pressure on the gauge.
    [​IMG]
    Once everything was back together we swapped on another hood. Sorry guys I guess the ghetto hood scoop will have to wait.
    [​IMG]
    We also pulled the winch and bumper in anticipation of upcoming suspension work.[​IMG]

9. Randy Groenhof

Last but not least we pulled the um........ diff guard traction bar um...... thing, and took a peak behind the diff cover. It was a little disappointing to find the "detroit locker" that had been installed looked a lot like an open diff to me.
    [​IMG]

10. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Man that there is one sick mod. I gotta get one of them there thingys.:eek:

11. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

Man, you gotta be s***in' me. No Detroit in that thing? That absolutely sucks!! I guess I'm not surprised considering everything else that has shown itself on this rig. It's lookin' good. I'll find out today when I can get down that way to help out. Oh, and I think I want you to hold on to the traction bar for me - Roadkill has had her eye on that thing from day one:eek:.

12. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

Looks good. Definitely not surprised to find the "Locker" is in fact open. Didn't mean to try to Chevyize it with the red there. Glad you caught that. :eek:
    Can't wait to see the pile of new parts that arrived mounted. :stuart:

13. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

No worries Jamie, there is usually a can of IH red paint not too far out of reach.

We drove around behind Randy's to mess with the twin sticks and noticed that the passenger side didn't even try to turn over. Suprise suprise. I was hoping for a broken axle shaft, but . . . not so much.

This truck just sounds awesome though. Thats all.

14. jetmech

jetmech Binder Driver

That there is boodie-fab-licious!!! :hammer: I bet they meant that the rear axle was locked up in a michigan storage facility at one time...ya!
    Sucks about the diff...throw a full spool in that bad boy and be done with it!

15. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

I've been rocking the Millermatic Lockers for years.

Its FREE!! Well close enough.

16. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

Is that bad? When you hope for a broken axle shaft. :confused:
    So Millermatic hey. Sounds like that may be the way to go as haven't found a deal on anything as of yet. Tried looking for an eaton with a locker as I figure only thing I've kept so far are the engine and rear axle so it's about time the rear axle got changed too. :eek:

17. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

No, 14B axle shafts are everywhere in the junk yards. That would have been too easy to fix.

18. Randy Groenhof

No progress pictures tonight, But I thought we would show off some new parts from IH only. The highsteer arms are the long version to work with the factory pitman arm. They also came with ARP hardware to mount them with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

Talk about freakin' heavy duty. I likey!! Your photography skills are superb, Randy! Your product placement is beautiful. I may have to rethink my pictures from here on out to include memorabilia for the "cool" factor. Splendid, I tell you, splendid!!

20. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Just wanted to say thanks Randy for the homebrew twin stick Ideas. Got mine pretty much finished I did pretty much the same as you , but modified a pair of dana 20 single sticks. Would post some pics ,but don't want to hijack your thread to much. Stop by my buildthread and check it out. :rockon: