SSII Parts to Save

Discussion in 'SSII' started by Hooper, Jan 8, 2004.

1. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Re: Pad

Hey Mike,
    I sent you an e-mail regarding this post. Thanks!

2. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

There was a NOS Whitco top on ebay a while back, I think it went for a little over 400 bucks. I would have bid on it but I think white tops look like hell against fire orange. My factory top did have a sunroof which was kind of cool (till it cracked and leaked). I still use my OEM rails with the Kayline top but I did have to move a snap or two.

3. Baradium

Baradium Lives in an IH Dealership

Well, my factory top... oh... wait... it's steel... carry on.

You know, why can't the reproduction tops fit like the original ones (I gather that they don't). I mean, if they made them like that once, can't they be made like that again?

4. Hooper

Hooper Y-Block King

Tops

I agree. Black tops look a whole lot better.

5. wfleming

wfleming Farmall Cub

Is there something special about the springs and axles? Where they arched more,etc.?
    Thanks

6. scoutkid

scoutkid Binder Driver

gee Hoop, if i were to add to your list, i would say keep things like:

the original window sticker (i have mine)
    the original line set ticket (i have mine)
    the original manual (i have mine)
    the original 'how to clean your plasic grill and door inserts' manual (i have mine)
    the original 'how to care for your whitco soft top' (i have mine)
    the original shop manual (i have mine)

the little square spare tire holder (i have mine)
    any of the factory options ESPECAILLY the brush gaurds with the head light hoops, or the rare tow-bar option (i have it) the front skidplate option (never seen a real one)
    the snap out carpet
    the little rubber things that hold the optional sun visors in place
    front tow hooks are SUPER hard to find
    Original Warn winch bumper

Jim Maulis has a book of all the options that SSII's were availible with, i will look through it again, there was some AWESOME ones in there, things that you might think we not options, but just added on.

7. Hooper

Hooper Y-Block King

Hard to find parts

Many of those are generic Scout II type items. I was working on SSII specific items. Can you pare that down to SSII specifics?

I agree with window stickers, manuals, etc, but, again, differentiating between SSII and Scout II items. For example, the *how to keep your SSII grill in good shape* manual is important, but the tow hooks were Scout II, not SSII specific.

All manuals, sales orders, line tickets, etc, etc, etc from factory SSII's are important. But, the odds of finding those on a junkyard scout are pretty slim.... still, check the glove box and under the seats I guess...

8. scoutkid

scoutkid Binder Driver

i was under the assumption that the tow hooks were different than on a SII, they sort of 'bend inwards' if you will. I have never seen ones like it on a regular SII, but that doesn't mean they didn't have um i guess!!:D

9. Hooper

Hooper Y-Block King

Tow Hooks

They do bend inward, a bit of a corkscrew to them.... but I thought all the tow hooks were like that..

Can anyone confirm one way or another? I was pretty sure that all the aftermarket bolt on items were not SSII specific, the spare tire carrier, brush guard, skid plates, ...

10. Baradium

They should be the same AFAIK.

I've seen two front skid plates. Never seen one actually installed on a scout.

Never been able to convince either of the people I know with the skid plates that they'd feel better if they donated their plates to my scout either :D

I've also seen a single mid section skid plate.

Gas tank skid plates seem to grow on trees, fairly common occurance on both vehicles.

The thing about scouts is the front and middle skidplates aren't as neccessary as with other vehicles. Sure they help, but IH did a good job of keeping stuff out of the way so it's not as big of a deal as with other makes.

11. Hooper

Hooper Y-Block King

Skid Plates

I don't think skid plates were unique to the SSII. They were common SII parts.

I agree, the skid plates were superflous for most folks. That being said, there have been times when a belly plate would have been nice. But, since I added a second crossmember, it has become much less of an issue.

12. Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson Farmall Cub

Hi Guys. I haven't been in touch in a while, but have been working on the interior of my SS and find this topic very interesting. I have been told that the front bucket seats of a SS were unique. They don't fold forward like those of a standard Scout do?? or so I have been told. I am in the process of looking for original SSII buckets (and for that matter a back bench). Was the plain green/brown vinyl material used also a Super Scout only deal? I have been searching hi and low for these things.

Thanks,

Jeff Johnson

1977 SSII

13. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

My SS came with the non folding front buckets and a plain rear folding bench seat. They were that green color and not very comfortable. I replaced them with a set of pillowed seats from a wrecked 79 Scout and sold the old ones to a guy building a Scout, sorry or you could have them Jeff.
    The only full set of skid plates I have seen were on a Scout II driven by an old man. thing was still running 28" tires and hubcaps. I would bet that they came that way from the dealer as he did not look like one to build or modify a vehicle.

14. Baradium

There are the remains of a SSII back in GA at a junkyard, the seats may be there. If you're interested I can check. It's been out in the whether so they'd probobly definatly need recovered. I think it was buckets, but could possibly have been a bench.

15. Scouts Honor

Scouts Honor Farmall Cub

Hey Rebel;
    Is the rear tail gate insert in good condition? I'm looking for one, if so would you consider sending it to Canada?

Gary

16. pweeks3

pweeks3 High Wheeler

Jeff Johnson,
    My '77 SSII came with the green buckets that don't fold. No rear seat. I replaced the fronts and added the rear with a set of pillow tops that I had re-upholstered. My seats were completely shot, so I traded them away long ago. I'm sure you can find a set somewhere though. I do believe all SSII's came with the non-folding seats.

17. SSII

SSII Farmall Cub

SSII Specific items for the list

Patrick,

Along with the items you listed for the SSII, I have found
    these items hard to find also:

Steel vent covers (by your feet) instead of the louvered vents
    in all the other scouts.
    Painted front and rear bumpers, everyone has chrome
    Since the SSII does not have door or tailgate weather stripping,
    save the little square rubber bumpers that keep the tailgate from rattling.
    Did anyone list rear spare tire carriers?
    I saw that someone mentioned tow hooks.

Mike K

18. RALLEN

RALLEN High Wheeler

My reg 79 sct II came with several items that are listed here, some may still be out there on reg scouts. Mine has the painted bumbers, spoked wheels (had the goodyear trackers), rubber fender flares, brush guard, spare tire/ gas can carrier and a factory roll bar.It is also wired for the tow bar but i believe that was done later. The grill insert, tow bar, and winch were also offered as accessories on all scouts. Still hard finds but i thought i would toss that into the mix.

19. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

The skidplates were not SS specific. Can't say about the tow hooks but the ones I have came off a SSII, as did my roll bar and winch bumper.
    I tossed the non folding seats, hindsight I wish I hadn't.
    I haven't noticed anything different about the springs. I heard that the axles had hardened spindles but how often do those fail. ;)