Sr2 - daylight after 20+ years

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by golfobx, Dec 22, 2018.

1. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Well, after many months of frustration, I was finally able to pick up this sr2 today. The gentleman who had it had asked me to come check it out, and I did. We made a deal. He backed out. He called again. We made a new deal. Fast forward 3 months of many phone calls, unanswered calls, and frustration later...and today was the day. It came home with me.

He at some point had the exterior painted a color of his wife’s choosing. It is a purplish “merlot”. He told me it was taken to nationals in the late 90s and then trailered back home where it sat untouched until we moved it out of the garage today. It was a very large garage and it was in the back corner surrounded by 20 years of clutter. It took some work to get it out, but I am very pleased with it. It was so tightly packed in there that I honestly didn’t get a great look at everything until it got outside. Never saw the engine bay until today.

My plan is to take it back to almost original, but to take it out of the 70s with some modernization. It will get disc brakes, power steering, fuel injection. It appears to already have hooker headers. Otherwise it will be a “stock” rebuild.

I look forward to updating everyone as I go.

Attached Files:

77Rick, superfishyall, JP800A and 4 others like this.
  2. Mater

Mater Farmall Cub

Great find! And welcome to Binderplanet!

3. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

great find ! Congratulations on your new Binder.

Looking forward to watching your Build thread. Aside from the modernization upgrades you mentioned, any big plans or goals for this Scout?

One word of warning, in regards to your existing tires vs the vehicle lift.

Please be very careful in regards to those rear quarter panels. this vehicle needs some more lift, especially in the rear. I won't go too far off on a tangent, but I learned this lesson all to well from "the school of hard knocks".

Again, congratulations on your new find !

chris@profab likes this.
  4. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Oh yea. He had 35x12.50s under it. He said right before he took it to nationals in the 90s he had a flat and threw his set up on off his scout II. And then he brought it home and parked it and there it sat since. I will definitely be going down.

5. jmait769

jmait769 High Wheeler

Awesome find! :thumbs up: :thumbs up: :thumbs up: It is getting harder and harder to find them in such good condition! Congratulations!! Steering wheel and dash pad look brand new! Ok what Scout gets finished first?

800bman and golfobx like this.
  6. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

I think my plan is to get the sr2 running and driving. Then I can enjoy it while I work on the ls2 swap 800. I’ll probably continue working on the sr2 doing odd jobs (power steering, disc brakes, etc) as I build the other.

Obviously subject to change! But I think that’s my plan.

jmait769 likes this.
  7. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

What an awesome find and in great shape! Is the auto tranny aftermarket? I didn't know they came with an auto...

8. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

No it’s factory. Some of the sr2 came with them.

It’s def in good shape but after having sat for 22+ years I’ve got some work ahead of me.

9. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

I hope we’ve already established through fb messenger that if you ever decide to sell I am first in line haha.
    Congrats, let’s get it put back to stock!

tim vaughan likes this.
  10. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

the goal is to bring it back to stock, minus the safety upgrades. i will do a frame off, rewire, go through axles, disc brakes, powder coat frame, repaint body, go through engine and trans, and put her back together

JP800A and tim vaughan like this.
  11. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

The Borg Warner 11/12 automatic was offered through the 800B series. After that, IH went to the Torqueflight 727 for automatics.

Roy

JP800A likes this.
  12. JP800A

JP800A Farmall Cub

Following. Glad to see another SR2!

800bman likes this.
  13. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Got the 35s out from under it. The front right drum was all boogered up, so got that sorted. Got the shag carpet removed and found the factory floor mat under it.

All in all. Things look good.

Attached Files:

14. chris@profab

chris@profab Farmall Cub

looks much better already.

stroker3 likes this.
  15. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Drained the oil today. No metal noted. Came out clean, not sludge at all. The cylinder walls don’t have any vertical scoring, however there are some horizontal lines/rings (possibly normal?). No rust inside cylinders. Inside valve covers is clean.

Attached Files:

chris@profab likes this.
  16. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Changed out the radiator hoses. Got the oil drained, pan dropped and cleaned inside, checked the pick up and it was clean, new filter, now to prime the oil pump and see if it will fire.

On a side note, some of you may know I own and built a fairly well known early bronco. My take always after working on the scout:

1. There is much less room in the engine bay in the scout. My hands don’t seem to have any spare room.
    2. The leaf springs up front leave me with much less room to roll around on a creeper under the scout that the coil sprung bronco.

Is this a Holley distributor?

Attached Files:

800bman likes this.
  17. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

That’s the Holley yes!
    Much more room with the inline six! V8 is a little tight yes, and I agree, more space on a bronco 302.

18. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Bottom end of engine looks good and clean. No metal in oil pan. Was a little bit of sludge around the drain plugs but no metal in it.

Drained the gas tanks. Got about 1/4 gal or less out of each side. It smelled pretty bad and some rust came out, but had not turned to sludge.

All in all, things are looking good to start the oil printing process followed by start up.

Attached Files:

800bman and Kenneth Barber like this.
  19. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Worked in the diffs today. Got everything cleaned up. No metal, but there was sludge in there. Overall, everything was in good shape.

Hopefully start it up this weekend.

Attached Files:

jeff campbell likes this.
  20. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Some good news. I went about the oil priming process today. Within 10 seconds I had oil pouring from the rockers and the drill bogged down a bit. Mechanical gauge was reading 65. I turned it over by hand a few times. Primed some more. Got everything put back together. Went to start it, just clicked.

I called jay and he said tap a few times on the starter, and sure enough. Turned right on over.

Put the plugs back in. Hooked the coil up. Shot some fuel down the carb and hit it with starting fluid.....nothing.

Check the coil to the distributor and have spark. Check the plug wires, no spark.

Guess I need to replace the points next.

Attached Files: