SR2 Build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by SR2dude, Nov 21, 2018.

1. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Hey Binder Fam! Long time no post here.

Back in 2011 or so I rebuilt the engine in my SR2 and had it running wonderfully. Work/school/life got in the way so I was unable to drive the scout since then. I now have a house with a garage and a driveway so out comes the scout and boy do I have plans for it!

Right now its at my parents house and my dad is helping me get it dialed in before I bring it down to my house. Took off the valve covers to oil the insides and replace the gaskets, new distributor, points, rotor, etc. Got a new carb also. Need to address the brakes and gas and then I'll be taking it down to my house.

Here's my general idea for first round of fixes/mods
    Flush all fluids and replace
    Fuel- Either get new saddle tanks or get another tank to put in the rear (Let me know if you have suggestions as to what fits best)
    Electric- Basically I want to go through as much as I can and make sure everything works or at least try to diagnose.

Second round
    Power Steering- Thinking of doing SII Box and travelall pump/bracket/pulley
    Borgesen Steering joint
    New clutch or possible go auto trans
    I'd really like to get a bulkhead and half cab...so that in the running as well.
    New lights-Head lights, blinkers, taillights- Hopefully LED. Maybe a light bar
    New or Aluminum Radiator

Long term wants
    New Wiring harness
    SOA
    Front and rear bumpers
    And the rest of those fun wants.

Will post some pictures on here when I can. Check out the IG page I made for it! @50_shades_of_scout

I'm located in San Diego- The goal for this build is going to a surf/offroad rig. Definitely wont be a street queen. My fab skills are beginner at best but I have been practicing and am excited to take on some projects. I grew up around internationals and have been working on them for a long time with my dad so I am pretty familiar with them. I promise I'll have questions so wanted to say thanks ahead of time!

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  2. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

man, this is great timing...i am going to be starting my sr2 build in the next few weeks as well! my goals are pretty much parallel to yours, so hopefully can bounce some ideas around. Look forward to seeing what you come up with

3. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Nice! Looking forward to seeing it!

4. scout2000

scout2000 Y-Block King

Its your Scout to do with as you please.

Me personally, I'd keep it as far away from the ocean as possible, less it disintegrate in front of your eyes.

5. William1275

William1275 Farmall Cub

6. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I don't have a facebook.... is there a website? Where is the meeting location?

Edit: Found the website and joined the forum.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  7. William1275

William1275 Farmall Cub

Glad you found the website. Obviously we are the San Diego Chapter which is the best one!
    I can’t remember if we are meeting ata car show in December or not.
    Email our president William Sousa
    william.sousa@charlotterusse.com

Here is where we have been meeting the last few months, but might be relocating due to not enough parking spaces.
    665 N Mollison Ave, El Cajon, CA 92021

Hope to meet you at the next meeting an learn about your rig. We all like to help each other and have work days. You buy the soda and pizza, we turn wrenches. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reiembor likes this.
  8. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Count me in!!

9. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Anyone have any tips for removing the bed floor? I started drilling out the welds but that got boring real quick, then I tried to brute force break them and that lasted a bit before I realized I was being ridiculous, then I tried using my air hammer but my neighbor texted me and said I woke up his new born so i stopped that... Will prob go back to drilling out the welds and just taking my time but figured I'd throw it up here while I am at work.

10. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Drill and pry bar. Took me about 3 hours. Have fun.

jeff campbell likes this.
  11. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

haha thanks. I have a spot weld cutter in the mail so will tackle it this weekend.

On another note... Part of tearing out the floor is to replace the saddle gas tanks with a cj5 rear mounted gas tank. What is everyone using for new fuel lines? I am pretty sure I want steel lines again but don't want to go through the trouble of having to bend them.... I found this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIkLeurOrA3wIVCxlpCh3nhgSFEAQYBCABEgJ-ufD_BwE
    I think it looks nice and non auto people will think I have nitrous or something crazy like that which I would enjoy hearing. It looks like a nice kit and I'm sure I can find one with specific fittings if needed.

Anyways, thoughts?

12. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Pic test

Attached Files:

800bman and JP800A like this.
  13. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Looks like it worked! after drilling over 100 spot welds, using a cut off wheel, putting out a fire from the sparks and a bit of brute force, the floor finally came out. I’m shocked at how much rust there isn’t. Stoked to finally have this done.

Next step is cleaning, lots of por 15, and then a new gas tank.

I’ll post a few pics when I get home of the previous owner WTF’s.

JP800A and jeff campbell like this.
  14. golfobx

golfobx Farmall Cub

Appears my previous owner and yours both decided extra gauges were fun....and threw them in the center of the dash

Attached Files:

15. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

I grabbed that gauge cluster from another scout along with a few others. My little vent things there were busted and quite the hazard so I copied the PO from another scout we had a swapped those in.

Kenneth Barber likes this.
  16. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

Hey guys. Made some progress-ish. Got my bed supports all wire brushed and sanded and slapped some POR 15 on them. I’m real stoked on how solid they still are.

Posted on my IG some pics of what I thought was a previous owner WTF moment. Come to learn that v8 800’s came from factory with a piece of square tubing in between the frame and the body.
    [​IMG]

Which brings up another thing. My rear bed support sits about 1.5 inches above the other bed supports and with a prybar I can lift the rear end of the scout up. So that’s pretty cool. Not sure what I’m going to do with that. Been talking with 800bman and it seems like it’s a lot more work than I want to put in right now so might rig something to work.

Got my PS pump and brackets from JJ (thanks again!) and have a ps box coming soon so am going to shift to doing my power steering projects while I sit and thing about what to do with the rear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepSoutBulldawg and oneof3k like this.
  17. J.J.

J.J. Dreams of Cub Cadets

Looks great Drew! Keep up the progress!

JJ in TN

SR2dude likes this.
  18. SR2dude

SR2dude Farmall Cub

I am preparing to start putting in my PS pump bracket and it dawned on me that I don't have any extra bolts sitting around...I need the actual bolts that connect the bracket to the engine.
    Is there a generic size/length I can go buy "x" amount of each to have as spares for future projects and just in general?

Secondly, gas tank prepping...I need to decide on what type of fuel line to use. I like the idea of using a generic metal braided line from summit racing (or wherever) because it is generic, cheap and looks kinda cool...but if there is a better option or something that will be easier in general I am open to that as well!

19. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Nice work!

SR2dude likes this.
  20. Jack H

Jack H Farmall Cub

On the rear bed sides, likely, if you look in the rear of the wheel well, where the hole for the outermost body mounts are, that is probably all rusted up and has lost its support. I think that's why the bed support rails are "digging" into the bed side. I had to make the same repairs. Its kind of time consuming, but you'll probably have to do this to some extend if you want to put a new bed in.

Attached Files:

800bman likes this.