Spare tire mounting

Discussion in 'Mid-South Binders' started by Green-80, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Green-80

Green-80 Farmall Cub

This may seem like a dumb question to those who have been around Scouts a lot, but where does the spare tire go on a stock Scout II? There are lots of pictures of Scouts with bumper mounted spares, but is there a mount for inside to secure the spare?
    Also, is it possible to search this site without getting dozens of threads that only have one of the words in your search? I know some sites have ways to be specific and weed out extraneous stuff.

2. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

I can sort of answer the first of your two questions. There should be an eye bolt behind the left rear wheel. A J-bolt hooks that eye and holds the wheel on. Sorry I know a picture is worth ... but I don't have one handy.

E

I wish I knew the answer for your second question but it has frustrated me again and again.

3. Green-80

Green-80 Farmall Cub

I saw the eye bolt and wondered about it, but I didn't realize that that was how it was originally mounted. If I remember correctly, the spare in my old Scout 80 was fastened to the bulkhead behind the seat, but the Scout II doesn,t have the bulkhead.
    I still have to get a wheel to mount a spare anyway.

4. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

Eriks right, if you need a pic I can grab one no prob

I too have been trying to figure out how to do a good search just last night I was trying to find the benefits of a dana 20 over a dana 18 and the search only searched for dana you can imagine all the stuff that wasnt even related to what I was looking for

5. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

The other day I was looking for the old schematic files that used to be here. Somebody generously made them using Visio from a '78 SII. I was hoping to copy them and update them to match my truck. Spent an hour or two looking and decided to do something useful, probably wash the dishes.

6. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I know what you mean, there used to be a table on the Binder Bulletin that had all the transmissions and transfer cases used in Scouts, pickups and travelalls it had what the case was made of and the gear ratios I guess it must be one of the things that didnt get to come over

7. Green-80

Green-80 Farmall Cub

Matt,
    Pictures would be good. I looked through several hundred pictures of Scouts this afternoon and only saw one that appeared to have a spare inside. It appears that many people either don't carry a spare or have it laying on the floor.
    On the Studebaker Drivers Club forum, where I often hang out, you can search for an exact phrase and that eliminates picking up posts with random words. This site is very difficult to search.

8. Keaton G.

Keaton G. Farmall Cub

Here is a few pictures of my spare, the second shows just the bracket and the big wing nut that clamps the tire to the side. Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

9. Green-80

Green-80 Farmall Cub

The picture helps. By blowing it up I was able to see that your J-bolt goes in a bracket on the wall. Is this stock? All I have is what appears to be a hardware store type eye bolt sticking out of the wall.

10. ihscoutmatt

ihscoutmatt High Wheeler

I think there was 2 different types, my '80s have both had what you describe but my earlier Scouts have had the bracket on the wall

11. Erik Morton

Erik Morton High Wheeler

I have the standard eyebolt too and that is OEM. His shows the plate that is to go in the hub hole to clamp the wheel down.

12. Green-80

Green-80 Farmall Cub

Thanks guys,
    The plate looks sturdier, but I haven't really looked closely at how mine is attached. I think I have a plate to go on the outside of the wheel somewhere.

13. Keaton G.

Keaton G. Farmall Cub

Yeah its a pretty simple setup, if you can't find the plate just drill a hole in some scrap metal plate