sourcing a 4bt?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by mike hicks, Sep 2, 2018.

1. mike hicks

mike hicks Farmall Cub

hey guys,

could anyone point me in the right direction of where I could buy a cummins 4bt? I have found some used and remanufactured here https://www.4btengines.com/ but haven't heard of the company before so unsure of the quality ect. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Joe Hurley

Joe Hurley Farmall Cub

They came in everything. If your looking for one to build check out companies that deal in bread trucks. Case backhoes, skidsteers and small tractors... they are around if you look!

3. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

When I acquired my first Binder, a 4BT was my plan also.

I ran into the same roadblocks you are encountering, i.e. no local availability, but distant availability, i.e. $7K for a fresh long block, I would need to hunt down brackets and other front end components. Still I tried pretty hard to move forward.

Aside from the ongoing passing of time, I had several people who have 4BT's in their 4x4 let me know, via private message, that the 4BT wasn't the best engine for my needs, shared the engine's nickname, i.e. "the paint shaker", and advised me to look elsewhere. Two of those people are/were here on BP, the third, a local 1969 Bronco owner.

I'm still a big diesel fan, and I've yet the make a final decision, but ultimately, I've narrowed things down to either the new Cummins 2.8L crate engine, or the 3.0L turbo V6 Motori diesel being used by Fiat/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in the 1500 series truck, and in various Jeep products, rumored to be in the Wrangler this up coming year. Either one of these make better HP && torque than the 4BT, and will return better fuel mileage also.

Sooner or later, I will have a diesel power plant in my daily driver 800.

Minimally, I might suggest you hunt down someone with a 4BT powered 4x4, and make sure it is the best engine for you before plunking down $$$$$ to make it all happen.

Good luck with your quest, in what ever direction it may lead you.

Chris Cooper and jeff campbell like this.
  4. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

scout2000 likes this.
  5. scout2000

+1

4btswaps is a great forum, I'm scout2000 over there also. There are a couple of other pretty good diesel forums. Good stuff on Pirate4x4, but be careful before you open your mouth. :)

dieselbombers.com
    dieseltruckresource.com
    cumminsforum.com
    performancetrucks.net
    ls1tech.com (obviously not for diesels)

Erik Morton and CoopVA like this.
  6. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Ahh. I was trying to remember the name of that forum.

7. virtualpj

virtualpj Farmall Cub

Anyone ever looked at the 2.8 Duramax that GM has been using in recent model years?

8. scout2000

Hey Mike,

another Cummins 4BT build just popped up in the "Binder Build" section.

Among other goodies the thread started had to offer, he also shared this URL, where he had purchased some of his 4BT support parts.

https://www.farmstronginc.com/

Hope there is something here that helps.

9. ScoutShea

ScoutShea Farmall Cub

https://quickdrawbrand.com/shop/

Located in Ohio. I drive to his house, I kid you not he had at least 200+ engines. He also has an eBay account which you have probably seen searching for 4bt's on eBay

Call chad, he is very informative and a nice guy

scout2000 likes this.
  10. Patrick Morris

I had to go reading up on that engine. On paper it looks great. 180 HP, 350-ish ft-lbs torque, great mileage. 6-speed automatic.

I was reading through old "diesel" threads in this forum. Found a mention of this company, Diesel Toys. They only do Toyota conversions, which means they only put Toyota build diesel engines found in other countries into gas powered Toyota trucks here in the US. They might be a little snobby about diesel conversions, but they look down on the 4BT, calling it a "paint shaker":

http://dieseltoys.com/4bt-engine-conversions

I've never driven or even ridden in a vehicle with a 4BT, so I can't really say if I'd find it okay or not to live with.

scout2000 likes this.
  11. scout2000

Thanks for the URL post.

I read it, and it all but seems that they are carrying on a vendetta against Cummins.

Regarding the 2.8 crate engine, I've easily read a half-dozen different conversion articles, where Cummins had sent a new crate engine to _______ magazine to do a conversion plus a write up.

I have no doubt that the crate engines sent out were ringers, but every article I have read was a positive rant on how Cummins included the computer, and other components that assisted greatly in making the swap a success.

Regarding the new Duramax, it seems to be in the same boat at the Motori V6 turbo diesel used by Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep that I keep touting. That Duramax just seems to get lost in the mix and it doesn't help that it also has a 2.8L displacement, same as the new Cummins. That, and limited availability in the real world.

2 or 3 years down the road, when the junk yards are full of new 2.8L Duramax's, probably only then will we all have enough information to tag the new Duramax winner, looser or somewhere in between.

12. Patrick Morris

Could be. It's just an opinion of course, and you aren't sure what their background is. The jpmagazine article they reference was actually a little kinder to the 4BT, pointing out its quirks but also that people do manage to appreciate it for what it is.

13. scout2000

No, I get that part of their rant is coming from another source, i.e. the jp magazine article. And I have personally heard the old "paint shaker" rant in referencing the 4BT for years, before reading their article.

Those, I don't have a problem with.

In the article, at least to me, the article author just seems to come across as he has nothing good to say about Cummins, and also the comments on the new 2.8L engine, which seem to be 180 degrees counter to what I have read everywhere else in the industry. The 4BT comments are, well worn, but spot on.

The 4BT probably isn't the diesel for every 4x4 owner hoping to get some MPG from his rig, it wasn't the one for me, but still, the 4BT has a tremendous following, meaning to me, that it is the right engine for quite a lot of people.

14. Patrick Morris

Well, like I said, maybe the author is just being a snob. Nothing's as good as a Toyota. I have a friend who's a little like that about his. If you think that way it's easy to rationalize.

15. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

4BTs are loud, obnoxiously so, but for some the fuel mileage is worth it. On the trail I don't want to be within an mile of them. Anything Scout/New Legend said they get 25mpg with the Cummins 2.8 which is relatively quiet.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    scout2000 likes this.
  16. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

I too have wondered about the little Duramax. The complexity of the associated electronics, including things like the dash, have led a number of people to just do a body swap on full-size Duramax V8 trucks. Haven't heard anything in that regard on the 2.8

Dean

17. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

I thought about a 4BT way way back. I watched one YouTube video with that thing clanking away and knew it was not an option. My 196 IH motor is my limit.

Darrel likes this.
  18. JWolfe

JWolfe Farmall Cub

I've been struggling with my old 304, 77 scout 2, to get it reliable and on road for most of year now, but I will be replacing it with a 4 BT as soon as the VA comes through on my claim.
    I spend over half the year traveling desert and mountain trails ( prospecting )
    Can't do much else, can't wait to get back out there!
    That torque, and mileage are my hope, it's really rough up and down those trails
    I do A LOT of camping so she doesn't need to look like much, cause the scrub really scratches the paint a lot.

19. Patrick Morris

Still out there Mike? Did you ever move ahead with this idea?

20. JWolfe

JWolfe Farmall Cub

Thank God I finally broke down an got the shop MANUAL for my scout2 now to trace
    EVERY WIRE :wrenching:under dash and some under hood UGH!