Source for BSTP Fittings/original oil pressure sending unit

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by NewportTurbo, Jul 5, 2018.

1. NewportTurbo

NewportTurbo Farmall Cub

I've been getting a steady leak from the oil pressure sending tap since I've owned my 80 SD33T. Well after repeated cycles of loosening and tightening to properly seal it I finally snapped the elbow off.

I have a spare SD33T engine sitting in a Traveler with a bad transmission so I borrowed it and the original sender- PO disconnected the original and put in a mechanical aftermarket gauge. It's leaking like a sieve (no surprise).

This makes 2 of 4 BPST fittings that I've snapped off (the other was the supply for the Turbo) however I'm not interested in tapping any of them to NPT until I pull the engine for a complete overhaul next winter.

Replacing the turbo supply was a nightmare of trial and error with the NAPA parts counter- they have some BPST treaded fittings in their system but they're not properly labeled in the system (the one I got last time is listed as discontinued now and was listed as 'special NPT').

Does anyone have a good source for BSPT fittings? Obviously I'd like a 1/4 BSPT 45d male to 1/4 or 1/8 NPT (male or female). but really anything that gets me from that f----ing BSPT outlet to something more common will work.

Also after having the original gauge working for the last couple of weeks I'm kinda leaning towards tee-ing into that port and running both a mechanical and the original. Does anyone know if there's a source for that original sender or a solid state one that is compatible?

Does anyone have thoughts on using the EGR trigger port as a second temp sender because I'm thinking I'd like run dual gauges for engine temp too (old voltmeter gauge/calibrated thermometer)?

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

I would check out this page and order something from there; notice the descriptions on the left side. I don't know your fittings so can't suggest anything more specific. BTW, M.-C. is a good, reliable company with reasonable prices and very great service; call them if you need help!

3. Joe S

Joe S Farmall Cub

Can't help on the question but Dana's sig made my day.

4. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Another supplier.
    https://www.ralstoninst.com/bspt-male-rt-quick-test-adapters
    https://www.ralstoninst.com/bspt-female-rt-quick-test-adapters
    My recollection is that the PSPT fittings need thread sealer compound applied in order to not leak.

One thing you might consider on an old block is that it is possible-but-unlikely that the block has already been re-threaded to NPT.

My recollection is that I have used male brass NPT fittings on my SD33T block with some thread sealant and they have held oil or coolant pressure fine with no leaks. The oil pressure sending is the toughest on mine because of a tee that goes to an external oil priming pump that limits partial rotation to tighten; it has to face a certain direction. I think it may leak a hair, but it would be hard to tell as other seals leak more and the block is kinda oily.

-D

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Farmall Cub

Try http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm If they don't have it they can get it. Be sure and know what the shipping will be before ordering.
    Can't go wrong with McMaster-Carr if they have what your looking for.